How to ancor a sled deck?

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hay guys
I just picked up a sled deck and i am wondering how every one ancors them down? i have it in pritty good right now, all 4 corners to the box tie downs with 1500lbs turn buckles all around. I have 2x6 4 foots togather on end and pounded in between the frame of the deck and the wheel wells.
thanks for any input or sugestions
Matt

Jake

Reaction score
Bolt through the box floor with 4, 1/2" bolts and plates or heavy fender washers on the underside. Deck doesn't move on the worst logging roads.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, you know of anyone selling a sled deck? Looking for a steel sled deck for a short box superduty. Only use it 1-2 times a year so like to keep cost down.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
I anchored mine to the corner hooks of my box using camper tiedowns. It won't move, is easy to take out, and the tie downs are hidden in the box.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine is held with turnbuckles to the oem hooks in 4 corners of the box, as well as to camper bars front and rear with turnbuckles on the outside 4 corners. put it into the rhubarb last weekend on the hasler road with 2 sleds loaded, nothing moved. bent one of the camper bars tho.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to put something under the legs. The runners on mine after a few years of rougher roads started rubbing through the box liner

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a sprayed in box liner. Just from the vibration of travelling back roads it started to rub through

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to put something under the legs. The runners on mine after a few years of rougher roads started rubbing through the box liner

I have a rubber 1/2" thick under each leg, then bolted with 1/2" bolts and plates on the underside of box,, 2 sportsmans or 2 sleds and the deck never moves and I travel some rough oilfield, logging roads. on my thrid truck with that set up and have never had an issue with the deck moving or rubbing through...

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance corporation of British Columbia as well as some private insurance companies will not cover your deck if it's not permanently attached to your truck. Permanently means bolted not turn buckles. Buddy of mine had one quad on deck, went around corner and quad and deck tipped over wiping out side of truck. The turn buckles stripped out due to not retightening once the two quads were loaded(one was off loaded). No insurance due to turnbuckles.

Cheers
Chris

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance corporation of British Columbia as well as some private insurance companies will not cover your deck if it's not permanently attached to your truck. Permanently means bolted not turn buckles. Buddy of mine had one quad on deck, went around corner and quad and deck tipped over wiping out side of truck. The turn buckles stripped out due to not retightening once the two quads were loaded(one was off loaded). No insurance due to turnbuckles.

Cheers
Chris
never heard that before, gonna check with my ins company and see what they say. haven't seen a slide in camper that "bolts in" yet, wonder why it would be a problem. seems to be 100% your buddy's fault, not the turnbuckles.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bolt the four corners through the box floor, use at least a one foot square of 3/4 plywood under each leg, or go bigger if you carry toys year round. My brother (Pipeline consultant) carries year round and the two rear legs almost broke through the box. Had to get welded and reinforced. In my opinion if you are using turnbuckles, that is adding more force to the box floor by the tightening of the turnbuckle, plus the weight of your toys.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bolt the four corners through the box floor, use at least a one foot square of 3/4 plywood under each leg, or go bigger if you carry toys year round. My brother (Pipeline consultant) carries year round and the two rear legs almost broke through the box. Had to get welded and reinforced. In my opinion if you are using turnbuckles, that is adding more force to the box floor by the tightening of the turnbuckle, plus the weight of your toys.
plausable if there is only a small contact patch where the weight is focused on the bed. mine sits on 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood under each leg of the deck. the tension you put on the turnbuckles would be split 50/50 pulling up on the tiedown loops as well as downward force into the bed. add the weight of the toys and the force applied by the tiedowns into the bed is moot. that's like saying when I load a D-7, and then chain it down, it weighs more?

rediculous to think that bolts inside the box thru the floor is the cure all, even if they are bolted to "L" shaped plates bolted thru the frame like a 5th wheel hitch. that would be the only way bolts would be effective, not thru the cross members under the box. the leverage applied to the outer edges of the deck while loaded would create a lot of stress on the deck with bolts only 4' apart or less inside the box, especially if you have 1" of footing under the legs, then you're looking at having bolts no less than 3" long.

adding tiedowns to the camper bars also eliminates a lot of the sway as well.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's more than 1 guy on here who hasn't thought to re-tighten the turn-buckles once one loads his or her toy on said apparatus. I'm glad this subject came to light so others can learn from it. Please do reply once you speak with your insurance company.

Cheers
Chris

farwest

Reaction score
I used the Factory tie downs in the corner of the inside of the f350 box.You do have to re torque the turnbuckles, but if you use commercial grade there is no problem.We use them on equipment on low beds so they should hold a deck.The outside camper ties deflect road gravel on to the side of the truck and ruin your paint.!!!:d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the Factory tie downs in the corner of the inside of the f350 box.You do have to re torque the turnbuckles, but if you use commercial grade there is no problem.We use them on equipment on low beds so they should hold a deck.The outside camper ties deflect road gravel on to the side of the truck and ruin your paint.!!!:d
hmmm, worry about my paint, or the $30,000 worth of sleds on my deck...........:d

I must be getting old I guess.....:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Interesting threads.... I used hd(industrial grad) turnbuckles on the factory loops inside the box on my dodges and ford for many years....... Never a problem, however, the deck did start to wear into the box liner as well. I put plates under each of the 4 corners and that seemed to help......

Top Bottom