How much to have fifth wheel installed

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What have you guys been paying for labor to have your fifth wheels installed?? Before I start calling around I want to see if I should be installing it myself or getting it done. I'd rather pay someone to do it but it will depend on the cost.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally that's one thing id have an expert do.
Hitch house in the west end have done both of mine. As i recall it was around 400 the first time and about 600 with new rails the second. Its a DSP hitch.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is about 6-7 people that have said abc now. And there are two that are kinda close to work.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends what type of hitch you are going with? My last two I have installed the B&W turnover ball, using the Companion 5th wheel hitch. Rated for 20k, solid, well built hitch with jaws instead of a chintzy slide bar. Very easy to do, only took me about an hour. However I am not familiar with the Chevs, they may be more involved than on a Ram.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Did two myself in the past few years, saved me about $800. Was reese hitch with rails on a GMC. Not really that hard, lots of swearing though trying to reach to get the nuts on. Get the one that is a little more money but can be installed with bolts on the outside of the frame.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stopped by abc on the way home. Getting good deal. I will have them install it for the price they quoted. Now I just have to decide if I want to get the fifth wheel before I buy the trailer. Little bit of a risk either way.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have the 5th wheel I want on display so it was nice to actually try out. Also I priced out but the top rail system and the puck system. Id prefer the puck system but it added $1000 to the price tag. They are also hard to come buy for my truck. He did have one in stock though but for the extra grand Ill deal with the rails in the bed.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard that before but why? Why is it better then the others? Details man details!

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
ZERO rails. One 4" hole in your box, and when the hitch is out, it's plugged. Plus it's also a goose neck hitch. And the Companion has the best jaw setup I've seen. Same jaw setup as the big rigs. Not just a sliding bar. No clunking or banging. SOOOOOOO easy to hook up and unhook. All angles, degrees, slopes, whatever. Back in. Pull out. It's just so freakin easy.

You're more than welcome to come see it in action. I pull a 15.5K fiver with my '11 GMC 3500 SRW. So smooth. I do also have the Trail Air Tri-Glide pinbox tho.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice but what was the total cost for the hitch, mount, and install?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the 5th wheel rails in my box! They are the biggest pain in the azz! It's so hard to wash the box out the dirt just packs in around those dumb things. The one 4" hole sounds like a nice thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Sounds nice but what was the total cost for the hitch, mount, and install?
The hitch and install isn't too bad. I THINK it's around 7-800. The Companion is NOT cheap, but it's a "buy once, cry once" item. You keep it forever and just put a new turnover ball system in the next trucks. Reuse the Companion.

ABC carries and installs them.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll check into that mount instead. I can use the same hitch just use the gooseneck mount. If it is available. The one I was looking at is the 4 hole system not the single.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Like I said.... I'll never use anything else. It is SO nice to have a completely empty bed from October until May. And even if I need to pull the Companion during the summer, it's a 5 minute job. 2 pieces that are EASILY handled by just myself.

Again, you're more than welcome to come see it in action.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll never use another hitch after having the B&W along with the Companion. Greatest set up EVER IMO.

I dont have the companion but have the gooseneck. Excellent hitch. I put the mumby adapter on my rv as my enclosed is gooseneck. Zero complaints but if you have the ball in make sure you pull it out once in awhile. They will corrode in.

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the B&W hitch in all 3 pickups and a companion. It is the only way to go. no rails, best hitch I've used for pulling especially since I tow both gooseneck and 5ers. I also refuse to convert a 5er down to a ball. Beats the heck out of my old Reese. Yes it was a little bit of a pucker when I bought the companion but worth every penny. You won't be disappointed if you decide to go that route

Sent from my STV100-1 Priv

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL btw this thread was about how much labor to have the 5th installed. ABC is quoting me $300 for the install. It isn't about what to install.

Top Bottom