How many trees did you hit this season?

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like some of you need to update your logging pemits. Myself as well. Just have to find the pictures.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Well this particular bruise came from using a very large tree as a parking brake on the edge of oblivion. When I hit this one tree it knocked the snow out of three others (I bailed at the very last moment...) On the plus side - minimal damage considering the force of impact (I love how tough these XP's are), no injuries. And the tree actually saved me from a much bigger crash that would have involved three sleds...

You know those moments when your adrenaline is jacked and your memory of the event is in a permanent slow-motion replay in your head? And the only real choice you have is to hit the tree?

IMG_0053.jpg

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did this in allen creek this year. wasnt a smart thing to do, and i scouted it first, ended up launching off the top of a hill. i was aiming to land about 30' to the left of where i did, i just hit it at the wrong angle. but hey, 75' of air into a lawn dart in the trees was a pretty big rush to :). my buddy there figured i was most likely dead... but i showed him!

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 177

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO...In reality we are doing Mother Nature a favor with the tree thing. Trees grow much healthier and stronger if they are thinned versus growing tight together...so if a sled can't fit, they are too tight together IMO...they are healthy when pruned and grow quite well after being topped, get nice a bushy. They have room to seed and to grow new trees if they don't have buddies taking their sunlight and they are healthier and less diseased. When it comes to logging they say it's healthy to thin the forest...leaving seed trees, having a healthy forest and opening it up for grasses to grow to feed animals etc, they find a nice little spin on it so it's all good. BUT throw a sledder in the forest, taking a limb or two off...worst case bucking it off mid tree cuz it's still going to grow from the other 10 plus feet that's under the snow...and all heck breaks loose. In reality we are not killing trees at all...you see these trees in summer with the tops cut off in sledding areas and they are growing and healthy, they don't just drop dead if you trim them and if they do they were unhealthy to start with.

Myself, I only hit a dozen or so trees this year that stopped me in my track that enabled me to do some forest thinning...and possibly pruned another couple dozen on my way by them to make them grow healthy. :)

PS...If you want to feel better about your ability to miss trees, just ride with White6...noone can hit as many trees as she can in a day. :p lmao, sorry Heater.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this particular bruise came from using a very large tree as a parking brake on the edge of oblivion. When I hit this one tree it knocked the snow out of three others (I bailed at the very last moment...) On the plus side - minimal damage considering the force of impact (I love how tough these XP's are), no injuries. And the tree actually saved me from a much bigger crash that would have involved three sleds...

You know those moments when your adrenaline is jacked and your memory of the event is in a permanent slow-motion replay in your head? And the only real choice you have is to hit the tree?

View attachment 155472
Your sled has a secret identity with that duct tape mask !!!!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Your sled has a secret identity with that duct tape mask !!!!

Haha yah, took me about a half-hour to tape all the pieces back into their relative places. Held together for the rest of the weekend but it needed a headlight pod, headlight, cluster and such... The RH front ski actually took the brunt of the impact, left a good kink in it. ;)

Assaulter13

Reaction score
Trees happen.

I bought a new sled for this year due to an ugly spruce tree that came out of nowhere and sprang up in the path of my M8 in the spring of 2012. (I think it was stalking me)

The tree was okay.

Sled. Not so much.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trees happen.

I bought a new sled for this year due to an ugly spruce tree that came out of nowhere and sprang up in the path of my M8 in the spring of 2012. (I think it was stalking me)

The tree was okay.

Sled. Not so much.
LOL Those trees have a way of sneaking up on you when your least expecting it....and they have a tendency of blending in with the rest after you leave and look back

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it unbelievable how these green trees completely 100% Ly can conceal themselves against a pure white background. The military needs to check into this for camo development. It's like your just riding along enjoying the endless powder then all of a sudden bam. Your floating through the air while your machine Is a crumpled up heap against a tree.

2 for me this year but only no or damage. I was positive I could make it between them but was 2" to narrow on a full barred climb. That one was hard on the body but I did make it through them :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368282012.517968.jpg

Top Bottom