How many out there cook on a smoker??

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys/Gals

Im in the market for a new grill this year and a buddy of mine is pushing hard that I should be looking at at smoker. They are a little more than I was looking to spend, but im reassured they are worth it !( for what thats worth) I think I would be looking towards something like The Traeger (Lil' Tex) or the Green Mountain Grills (Daniel Boon). Does anyone have any experience with either of these grills? How do you like them. The only thing I was told was that they dont get up to a high enough temp to sear the nice dark lines into your steak/burgers, but im not too worried about that

thanks

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I cook with a Holland Grill and will never live without one again. They cook different from a BBQ that's for sure but in a better way. I also have the regular BBQ for tossing the odd steak on but the smoke grill gets most of my attention. Go for it, you won't regret it.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love smokers. Been told never cook fish in the same one as you cook other meats because everything will taste fishy after that.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Visited my parents down in Texas last fall and the old man picked up a traeger smoker, I think it was from costco, anyways we used that for everything while we were there. We did burgers, steak, chicken breasts, salmon, and we were there for Thanksgiving so we did a turkey in it. I was a big fan and everything tasted really great. He had been playing with it for a month or two to master cooking with it before we were down there. I think it took him a bit he said he had a couple failures. Biggest thing I seen was the cooking time on things is increased a bit, I think for most things you have to smoke at one temp for a while then go to a cooking temperature after.

As for the fish thing we had salmon on there one night and burgers the next night and I did not notice a fish taste to the burgers.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Bradley Digital at Crappy Tire, $100 off regular.
They are wicked for slow cooking tough hunks of meat into something you could eat without teeth.
No replacement for a steak seared over charcoal though but for a shoulder roast or ribs etc. smoker all the way.

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Neighbour bought a fancy smoker/cooker... Yup good flavour... Nope does not replace BBQ you need both he is tired of it... Is a fad I think.

Buy the highest btu BBQ you can get a hold off in the smallest BBQ you can find and you will be kickin ass in the winter while everybody else is waiting for spring.

IMHO

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Willy built his smoker and no Pro im not talking about a bong 0.o didnt cost me a cent to build ! but i might get into selling smoke chips cuz 5 bucks for a little bag is crazy .

Is this it?

Attachments

• how-to-make-bongs-226x300.jpg
    how-to-make-bongs-226x300.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 296

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite and absolutely love it. Never had a bad chunk of meat come off of it. Awesome flavour. They are pricey but well worth it in my opinion. I hardly ever use the old propane BBQ anymore - think the tank has lasted for three years now... Fireplace Stove World in west Edmonton handles them.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My opinion, you need a grill and a smoker is optional. I bought a cheap grill with high BTU the afternoon of a company BBQ because the bonehead that organised it thought a old POS grill could feed 30 people... But anyhow it has lasted pretty good (12 yr's) under a covered deck with only 1 replacement burner.

I "cook" on a Bradley "smoker" sometimes, none of the low & slow 8-10 hr stuff yet, like I'll do a chicken, porkchops, beef roast etc. I want to try a whole turkey, I have done drumsticks & thighs, wings. Turkey turns out really good for some reason.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda cooking time for a smoker? My boss has one and it is tasty but my understanding is you can't just come home from work and fire it up to cook a steak?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda cooking time for a smoker? My boss has one and it is tasty but my understanding is you can't just come home from work and fire it up to cook a steak?

I know mine is best for low and slow. It only has a 500W element in it plus whaever BTU you get from burning the wood. For example when I cook ribs it's 5-6hrs. I prefer a steak over charcoal and if you want smoke, throw a handful of chips at it.

RMK Rider

Reaction score
I have a Traeger that I bought 2 years ago or longer and find it to cook very easy. Come home from work turn it on hi go in and season my steaks and start supper. Ten minutes throw the steaks on close the lid and leave it for ten min turn for another eight to ten minutes and the eat usually takes 30 min total from warmup to cooked. Cook times vary to your preference of doneness on steaks but once you learn to cook on it you'll never go back. A awesome side note no more flare ups and you don't have to babysit it. just my 2 cents worth

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the Char Griller Dou. It has a charcoal side and a gas side. You can also add a smoker onto the charcoal side. I bought one at Walmart for 300 bucks. I think Bass Pro north of Calgary carries them as well. Very well built and works great.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive never "cooked" in a smoker but I've cooked on a "grill" with smoke..... BIG difference.

Most higher end smokers now have enough power to cook as well. For ribs example, 2-3 hours smoke, 3 hours low and slow cook around 220-230F

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been using my Traeger Lil Tex for about 3 years, all summer and winter, and have never had any issues. It will not hold the heat as well as a BBQ in the winter but will still cook good enough. Mine runs up to 450-475 on high and cooks thick steaks in about 30min. or so(winter maybe 45-50min). Ribs, fish and pork I like to slow cook for more smoke flavour. Would never want to go back to a regular BBQ over my Traeger.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burp. Just finished smoked turkey. It was awesome, nice change from oven baked.

Top Bottom