How many miles on your 2011?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to be kidding me.:realmad: You shouldn't even be putting a cylinder head on this sled. You don't even have a clue about engines. This is the kind of thread that gives a engine a bad name.
Somebody who doesn't have a clue about HOW THEY WORK.

STOP well your ahead.

Well you sure seem to be informed. Please due tell why you think this motor won't respond to more compression. Don't yell and stomp and not back up your thoughts.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would add this as this backs up my statement. This is takin from another forum.

thefullmonte
02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

I guess i could have an open mind to weisco... from past experiences I swore I would never touch another one...
I measure the cylinder today and it specs 3.3450 at top and bottom, but the new and old pistons spec 3.3125 on top and 3.3415 on bottom..
So the piston is 36 thou smaller than the bore on top and has only 10 thou on the bottom... Why would the pistons be so tapered?? I see the bottom to the Polaris spec of 5 thou but what about the top?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i guess i need to teach you engine basics 101. This is why people get bad thoughts about a products because they read S#!t like this.:nono:

Pistons are DESIGNED to be like this. Pistons are eliptical so that when the heat of combustion happens on the top of the pistion the heat is transfered into it. Because the top of the pistion is thicker it retains more heat. This is WHY it is smaller. Skirts of pistons are thin they disapate heat quicker as a result you can have a tighter tolerance here. As the piston heats up to operating temp the pistion becomes true to the cylinder.

Please stop giving false information, and trying to talk engine when you are unsure of how they actually work.

this is what hurts the product you drive.

on my rag this week :(

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This isn't about more compression you said there was to much clearance at the top of the piston.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i guess i need to teach you engine basics 101. This is why people get bad thoughts about a products because they read S#!t like this.:nono:

Pistons are DESIGNED to be like this. Pistons are eliptical so that when the heat of combustion happens on the top of the pistion the heat is transfered into it. Because the top of the pistion is thicker it retains more heat. This is WHY it is smaller. Skirts of pistons are thin they disapate heat quicker as a result you can have a tighter tolerance here. As the piston heats up to operating temp the pistion becomes true to the cylinder.

Please stop giving false information, and trying to talk engine when you are unsure of how they actually work.

this is what hurts the product you drive.

on my rag this week :(

Well just about everybody who has worked on an engine know's that. What i said was that 30 thou is sloppy show me another piston like that and I will change my statement. I wonder if you have done your homework. This is the same piston in the 08-10 updated motors with the same clearance, the difference between the two motors is simple port timing changes and the elimation of two injectors. I NEVER said the motor was ch!t. What I said was it might not be a strong as we think.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to be kidding me.:realmad: You shouldn't even be putting a cylinder head on this sled. You don't even have a clue about engines. This is the kind of thread that gives a engine a bad name.

STOP well your ahead.

This isn't about more compression you said there was to much clearance at the top of the piston.

You make some valid points, but you need to take a chill pill... Seriously. All I see here is someone doing some investigation, having a concern, and asking a question. That's all, and that's what this forum is for after all.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You make some valid points, but you need to take a chill pill... Seriously. All I see here is someone doing some investigation, having a concern, and asking a question. That's all, and that's what this forum is for after all.

Mikew5j His investigation is based on information that is invalid in engine measurement. Which can cause the WRONG person(Polaris) to be falsely accussed.

Top of piston is never measured and compared to the bottom. IT just isn't a measurement that is done. At the manufacturing state yes but when checking piston/cyl clearance no.
This would be like taking a reading between 2 wires coming from a ECU that there is no test for and condeming the ECU because you got a reading on your DMM.

Be careful how you go about complaining about things like this 007sevens as it only takes 1 person to start a story that polaris has the same issues with the 011-12 lineup as they did in 08-10 OOPPPSSS THERE IT IS.

NOW your 011 with 650miles is worth the price of a slurpe at 7-11.

You said you had .005 at the bottom of the skirt. Polaris clearence is?(think you said .005) so all should be good minus some slight scoring on the intake side that could of possibly came from snow ingestion? Not sure as i would have to look at the piston to tell you if thats what its from.

Just make sure you know the facts before you complain about things.

As a heads up have 1650miles on 011 and 0miles on the 12. no problems with either.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warhawk you must be a dealer and your worried about sales instead of a little bit of research into a motor and I would like to start by saying that I not COMPLAINING, just looking into this a bit.

Polaris had gotten a lot of things straightened out with this engine, that is clear from the amount of 2011 POLARIS SLEDS THAT HAVE NOT HAD ANY ENGINE RELATED ISSUES.

The minor scoring could have come from snow ingestion, Nitrous, or maybe even one day that I didn't get it warmed up.

PMSPOLARIS has made a kit that would work in the new motor but has also stated that he hasn't sold many (600+ D8 25+ Pro). This kit is similar to the D8 kit. I think that it should be said that this kit was only developed as an option for someone that might need it. As is with Terra Alps kit or RK Tec has a kit that they are working on. These drop in kits are not something new and no way do I think talking about them means that Polaris sleds will drop in value. What makes or breaks a sleds value is the sled itself, not what I say.

Last edited:

Tang

Reaction score
I can assure you Warhawk is not a dealer..............I'm good friends with him and we joke around all the time about my 2010 Dragon 800. I do believe the 08 - 10 800's had some issues, but I believe the internet forums for sledding blew things a little out of proportion. Just go over to the IQ forum and ready threads about 800 issues and see how many folks on this forum pop in for a little poke and jab to had salt to the wound. Most of them don't even own a Polaris, but feel the need to bash Polaris, because they drive DOO or Yam's.

I'm sure guys could post 10 different threads in the chat section about DOO's and buying short blocks for $2,500, but life is good. I believe DOO guys on this forum defend the BRP product well and it adds to the resale value image of the DOO product.

Believe me, Warhawk's intentions are good!

Jamie

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can assure you Warhawk is not a dealer..............I'm good friends with him and we joke around all the time about my 2010 Dragon 800. I do believe the 08 - 10 800's had some issues, but I believe the internet forums for sledding blew things a little out of proportion. Just go over to the IQ forum and ready threads about 800 issues and see how many folks on this forum pop in for a little poke and jab to had salt to the wound. Most of them don't even own a Polaris, but feel the need to bash Polaris, because they drive DOO or Yam's.

I'm sure guys could post 10 different threads in the chat section about DOO's and buying short blocks for $2,500, but life is good. I believe DOO guys on this forum defend the BRP product well and it adds to the resale value image of the DOO product.

Believe me, Warhawk's intentions are good!

Jamie

Then people should get back to the threads purpose and back up Polaris by saying how many maintenance free miles people have on there sleds. The one who is flapping there lips here is not me, look at the posts and you will see who is ranting. Believe me Im not trying to hurt the sled.

Now back on topic because im done with this back talking. Who has the most miles on there sleds and has there been any hic-ups.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
007sevens I am not a dealer but will tell u what i do for work. I am a instructor at a technical institute here in Sask and i run a program called OPET(Outdoor Power Equipment Technician) New Name is PSET(Power Sports Equipment Technician) It is a course that teaches INEXPERIENCED PEOPLE the PROPER way to repair ALL types of recreational products. My program supports INDUSTY all makes. Arctic Cat had a 2 Day school in August. Yamaha is here this coming week for 3 days ,Suzuki is here after Xmas etc

The problem lies in how you start to address things in your posts words like "I'm going to get to the bottom of this" when you were refering to the clearance between the top of the piston and the bottom. like i said there is no measurement EVER made between these places. People who don't understand things read stuff like this and it snowballs so fast and its over nothing. Go ask somebody about a crank on a DOO 800 bet alot of people are going to say they are crap. Do i like there set up with grease no but you might know somebody who has never had a problem and thinks they are great.

Next point is NOW your comment says
"The minor scoring could have come from snow ingestion, Nitrous, or maybe even one day that I didn't get it warmed up."

so you maybe aren"t telling the Whole story on your end.

like i said be honest with your posts and your knowledge in this POLARIS fourm or any brand you own as to help the product you own not beat it into the ground.

I have owned many a brand over the years, they all have good and bad.

Registration for next years class starts June 01,2012 First day of classes is August 27,2012

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I have found is that Polaris to meet emissions needed to lean out the mid range of the fuel map causing the piston to swell to a point that in the OLDER motors causing it to scuff. This was also part in parcel to the clearance of the OLD piston which allowed it to rock in the cylinder. The New piston has a tighter clearance fixing that problem and with the two injectors instead of four helps with fueling problems. Obviously by statements made and the reason I started this thread it has NOT been a problem. That is the conclusion to what I WAS GOING TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF.

Thread closed.

If you would like to know what I plan to do. PM me and I will be glad to tell you what else I have found.

spook222

Reaction score
well......I'm still curious as to how many miles people have on these sleds as I have one snowchecked. I'm not too worried about these motors, but am still curious as to what kind of luck every one is having

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

STOP well your ahead.

Wow !! What a crazy example of arrogance !!! You don't know the man, but after he asks a couple questions, feel you have the right to condemn him for even attempting to do a cyl. head. Because you're an "instructor" means you're a mechanical god ?!?!? What a joke !!

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow !! What a crazy example of arrogance !!! You don't know the man, but after he asks a couple questions, feel you have the right to condemn him for even attempting to do a cyl. head. Because you're an "instructor" means you're a mechanical god ?!?!? What a joke !!

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Not condeming him for putting a cylinder head on. Just telling him to make sure he puts ALL the information in regards to his problem that he thinks he has. When in reality there is no problem. If you tell the whole story when your doing mods or anything like this, Anybody can understand this type of information but when you leave information out of the topic it can go wrong.

Top Bottom