How Fast? Wedge Ultra 680

FrankieJames7

Reaction score
got a 96 xcr with an ultra engine. going to keep modding it to lose as much weight as i can, but what did wedge ultras with triple pipes run against and win?

i'd at least like to keep up with f7's and srx's. wedge is pretty light, ultras are 515 pounds dry stock but very easy to drop all the weight. low to mid 140's hp and xtra 10 suspension.

top speed and race results?

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
got a 96 xcr with an ultra engine. going to keep modding it to lose as much weight as i can, but what did wedge ultras with triple pipes run against and win?

i'd at least like to keep up with f7's and srx's. wedge is pretty light, ultras are 515 pounds dry stock but very easy to drop all the weight. low to mid 140's hp and xtra 10 suspension.

If this thread brings back LHF im going to hate you until the day I die.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That all depends on how they were clutched, geared and how long the track was. So it sounds like you have aftermarket pipes on it, so you'll be in the Improved class anyway.
The 680 ultra sp and xcr sp 600 came from the factory with triple pipes, in the aggressive chassis in 97. And the xcr sp 600 came out I believe in a limited build in the aggressive chassis in 96. That xcr 600 was the first small bore triple triple Polaris built, during that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are you officially racing this or just wanting to keep up on the trail or race your buddies on the lake? The 680 triples were underpowered (detuned really), not sure where you got your numbers on the HP, low to mid 140's would be a motor with a good amount of work, they were between 115-120 stock. The 800 Storms were only around 130 HP stock. For mods - PSI Modblaster or SLP pipes really woke these sleds up, Polaris left a lot on the table with the pipes. The PSIs are super loud though. You could get 30 HP jumps with pipes and some jetting, and more if you put a head on it. Medium porting and pipes, new heads, reed spacers and some jetting tweaks put you in the 150 HP range. If you are racing it officially though, keep in mind all these mods will put you in the mod class probably, so you'll be up against some big competition. If you are just racing your buddies on the lake, then find a big bore for it and don't tell them.

There used to be a lot of companies that made big bores for them (HTG, Union Bay, PSI, Price Performance....) but they are all pretty well gone now or have moved on to other things. An 800 Big Bore (BB) was a very popular upgrade, Ebay or kijiji and you will find some still kicking around (just for fun I googled it..Polaris XCR Ultra 600 680 HTG 800 BIG Bore KIT | eBay), not a lot of places still stocking parts or working on these kinds of sleds. SLP might still have something. The Crank Shop will sell you a complete 1100 kit for $4200.

Handling on the Polaris triples sucked, so keep that in mind. If you are trail riding, then yes, you have the right idea to ditch as much weight off it as you can. For drags, they didn't win lots in the stock classes because they were racing in the 700 triple/triple class against sleds like the Mach 1 and SRX, both of which were very fast from the factory and in the 130 HP category.

FrankieJames7

Reaction score
Are you officially racing this or just wanting to keep up on the trail or race your buddies on the lake? The 680 triples were underpowered (detuned really), not sure where you got your numbers on the HP, low to mid 140's would be a motor with a good amount of work, they were between 115-120 stock. The 800 Storms were only around 130 HP stock. For mods - PSI Modblaster or SLP pipes really woke these sleds up, Polaris left a lot on the table with the pipes. The PSIs are super loud though. You could get 30 HP jumps with pipes and some jetting, and more if you put a head on it. Medium porting and pipes, new heads, reed spacers and some jetting tweaks put you in the 150 HP range. If you are racing it officially though, keep in mind all these mods will put you in the mod class probably, so you'll be up against some big competition. If you are just racing your buddies on the lake, then find a big bore for it and don't tell them.

There used to be a lot of companies that made big bores for them (HTG, Union Bay, PSI, Price Performance....) but they are all pretty well gone now or have moved on to other things. An 800 Big Bore (BB) was a very popular upgrade, Ebay or kijiji and you will find some still kicking around (just for fun I googled it..Polaris XCR Ultra 600 680 HTG 800 BIG Bore KIT | eBay), not a lot of places still stocking parts or working on these kinds of sleds. SLP might still have something. The Crank Shop will sell you a complete 1100 kit for $4200.

Handling on the Polaris triples sucked, so keep that in mind. If you are trail riding, then yes, you have the right idea to ditch as much weight off it as you can. For drags, they didn't win lots in the stock classes because they were racing in the 700 triple/triple class against sleds like the Mach 1 and SRX, both of which were very fast from the factory and in the 130 HP category.

drag racing and wanting a flat trail beast able to turn and stop too. mid to low 140's are normal for these engines with high rpm slp or psi pipes, good fuel and some good tuning. they were 105 stock, with the single pipe. union bay is the only one in business today lol, i didnt know they made big bores for ultras/xcr's, but eventually after the coin has been saved up ill give them a call.

handling isn't going to be bad, especially since mine is an xcr/xlt and the engine is mounted further back and lower. wedges are light too, mine comes with the biggest sway bar, xtra10, low to the ground. i doubt one of the modern tanks could keep up on a fast trail.

Top Bottom