1997 polaris ultra sp modded engine, confused ???

Noah Gyde

Reaction score
hey everyone and anyone im looking for some help, i just bought a "2002 xcr edge" but it cant really be called that it has rmk suspension with 136" track, and the more important matter it has a 1997 680 ultra sp engine that the guy said he did some work to but i dont understand some of it and im wondering if its a good setup, here is a list of what has been done to it

350 mains
40 pilot
6DH8-2 needle
p.4 (247)
2.0 cut away
34 helix/silver spring
10-54 clutch weights
almsquare 140/330
1.0 air screw
ultra spx triple pipes
so i know what some of this means other parts not so much so if someone could tell me if this is a good setup that would be great, it bogs a bit of the start and i was thinking v force reeds ? opinions ? all help will be appreciated, thanks

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
hey everyone and anyone im looking for some help, i just bought a "2002 xcr edge" but it cant really be called that it has rmk suspension with 136" track, and the more important matter it has a 1997 680 ultra sp engine that the guy said he did some work to but i dont understand some of it and im wondering if its a good setup, here is a list of what has been done to it

350 mains
40 pilot
6DH8-2 needle
p.4 (247)
2.0 cut away
34 helix/silver spring
10-54 clutch weights
almsquare 140/330
1.0 air screw
ultra spx triple pipes
so i know what some of this means other parts not so much so if someone could tell me if this is a good setup that would be great, it bogs a bit of the start and i was thinking v force reeds ? opinions ? all help will be appreciated, thanks

If I was you, I would google 97 ultra spx for the carb specs, clutching, etc. I would put the e-clips on the needles in the center position or number 3. The jets seem a bit lean. Not sure on that but with triple pipes on a 96 ultra I ran 400-380-400. Everything else seems ok. The bog you describe may be the clutching. Make sure belt is good, new preferred Polaris belt and that it runs about 1/8" higher than the secondary. Otherwise, its all trial and error on that set up.....

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was you, I would google 97 ultra spx for the carb specs, clutching, etc. I would put the e-clips on the needles in the center position or number 3. The jets seem a bit lean. Not sure on that but with triple pipes on a 96 ultra I ran 400-380-400. Everything else seems ok. The bog you describe may be the clutching. Make sure belt is good, new preferred Polaris belt and that it runs about 1/8" higher than the secondary. Otherwise, its all trial and error on that set up.....
Wasn't a fan of almsquare it seem to bind.

Noah Gyde

Reaction score
just got a big dump of snow ! trying to figure out whats wrong fast

Last edited:

Noah Gyde

Reaction score

thanks, ill check out the e clips and look into getting a new belt. and you say i should get bigger mains ?

Noah Gyde

Reaction score
it will go up maybe 200 rpm with the 165 .Try it you might be suprised how it livens it up.

okay yeah ill look into getting one of those, so good/bad new about the little bog it HAD um well i went to jump a road and wasnt prepared for the landing and my hand went straight down and broke the choke off, well i was pissed but when i went to pull away in anger i gave her the throttle and it sprung to life, after riding it for a bit more it was a lot better take off and worked great so i guess it was just choking itself out some and now the problem is solved ! :d

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
okay yeah ill look into getting one of those, so good/bad new about the little bog it HAD um well i went to jump a road and wasnt prepared for the landing and my hand went straight down and broke the choke off, well i was pissed but when i went to pull away in anger i gave her the throttle and it sprung to life, after riding it for a bit more it was a lot better take off and worked great so i guess it was just choking itself out some and now the problem is solved ! :d

You ride pissed?.....LOL....just kidding.....

Noah Gyde

Reaction score
you seem pretty knowledgeable about this, do you think a mbrp can that suppose to be for a xcr 700 triple would work fine one these 680 triple pipes ? thanks for all your help

Top Bottom