How do you...

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you check if there is enoff gear oil in the transimssion on 2 stroke dirt bike. Some one told me that there is a small screw you have to unsrew and if oil comes out your good to go. So there was a small screw right be side the plug on the side of the motor. Dose the bike need to be running. I tillted the bike over pretty far and oil still didn't come out. Dose any one know the genral area where this screw/blot. Near the top on the bottem far left far right. MY bike is a 2000 yamaha yz 125.

Thanks

Where the yellow dot is thats the one i unscrew and nothing happend. I had to go so i didnt check anything else could it be the one i have in pink.

Idk got board so i furguard i will make a thread.

Attachments

• IMG_1350 (2).JPG
    IMG_1350 (2).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 89

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be the one (pink) on the lower case cover.

Check the fluid level cold. One thing on the older yammy's is the threads in the covers were soft and if you got oil level check happy and were always removing it, eventually the threads get sloppy or worn. Don't over torque those bolts/plugs.

The best thing to do is look near where you fill the oil, there should be an indicator stamped on the engine of how much oil the case takes, usually around 600-660 ml on those bikes, drain the oil, measure out the right amount, then fill.

Unless your case has a crack, its very unlikely after 8-10 rides you will be needing to add much, but after that many rides I always changed it anyways.

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be the one (pink) on the lower case cover.

Check the fluid level cold. One thing on the older yammy's is the threads in the covers were soft and if you got oil level check happy and were always removing it, eventually the threads get sloppy or worn. Don't over torque those bolts/plugs.

The best thing to do is look near where you fill the oil, there should be an indicator stamped on the engine of how much oil the case takes, usually around 600-660 ml on those bikes, drain the oil, measure out the right amount, then fill.

Unless your case has a crack, its very unlikely after 8-10 rides you will be needing to add much, but after that many rides I always changed it anyways.

Thanks that helps alot and i think when i put the drain plug back in it was strip. When tight then went a bit more and the losen again so i just went tight again and left it but next time i have to change the oil i might have to bring it in and get it tapped or something? Thanks take the bounce that helps alot. Any thought on what i should do for the drain plug if it is strip. Just tap it out one size bigger.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen people uses helicoils for drain plugs but I have never had much like with them myself. Its basically a steel insert that has a special tool for tapping it. The helicoil is a really tight coil that forms threads basically.

I would likely pull the motor, split the case and tap a new hole and get an oversized drain plug. It would be pretty hard to do with it still in the frame, but not impossible. You would want to flush the case pretty good to ensure no material was left behind if you didn't split the case.

You could also use something like this ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,

never tried time-sert myself, and its a little costly, but cheaper than blowing a drive train.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen people uses helicoils for drain plugs but I have never had much like with them myself. Its basically a steel insert that has a special tool for tapping it. The helicoil is a really tight coil that forms threads basically.

I would likely pull the motor, split the case and tap a new hole and get an oversized drain plug. It would be pretty hard to do with it still in the frame, but not impossible. You would want to flush the case pretty good to ensure no material was left behind if you didn't split the case.

You could also use something like this ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,

they work great! I used one on my cam holder.

never tried time-sert myself, and its a little costly, but cheaper than blowing a drive train.

dude thoes things work great! I used one on my ktm 250's cam cover :d

Top Bottom