House Furnace/Thermostat

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My house was built in 94, the furnace/thermostat are org. The furnace has been serviced a few times, including just before I moved in 4 years ago.
For the past week, my thermostat has been at 25C, but only reading 15C. AND it feels like frickin 15 in here!!!
Last winter was colder, and Cowtown really hasn't seen winter yet....

My question is, what would be the lack of heat in the house? Would it be that my thermostat has bought the farm, or could the furnace be on it's way out? or both???
Thanks in advance

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My house was built in 94, the furnace/thermostat are org. The furnace has been serviced a few times, including just before I moved in 4 years ago.
For the past week, my thermostat has been at 25C, but only reading 15C. AND it feels like frickin 15 in here!!!
Last winter was colder, and Cowtown really hasn't seen winter yet....

My question is, what would be the lack of heat in the house? Would it be that my thermostat has bought the farm, or could the furnace be on it's way out? or both???
Thanks in advance

I have a electronic thermostat that requires new batteries every year. without batteries is has a set temp setting . Maybe you need new batteries. I would say go the Home Hardware and get a new thermostat. Lots of options. Right now you TEA is at a good drinking temp.
Meerry Christmas

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the furnace starting up and producing at least some heat?
Have you checked the filter?
Have you checked the room temp with a separate thermometer
My furnace is a 94 model and we have had problems with the thermocouple

I would suggest calling a plumber if it gets any colder

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a electronic thermostat that requires new batteries every year. without batteries is has a set temp setting . Maybe you need new batteries. I would say go the Home Hardware and get a new thermostat. Lots of options. Right now you TEA is at a good drinking temp.
Meerry Christmas

No batteries required here, and good idea about having a tea.
Merry Christmas to you too Glen

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the furnace starting up and producing at least some heat?
Have you checked the filter?
Have you checked the room temp with a separate thermometer
My furnace is a 94 model and we have had problems with the igniters

I would suggest calling a plumber if it gets any colder

Filter is changed very regular, I'm on a small acreage in the city. So I do like the windows open on nice days
I haven't checked with a seperate thermometer, every room has been pretty chilly. Unless the door is closed
The furnace really hasn't shut off, and I'm reclutant to shut it off now to change the thermostat(bought a new one)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe try closing the front door and see if that fixes it. :rolleyes:

I wish it was that easy..... I have went around the house to make sure all windows are locked and have pulled down blinds where I can.
I'm not shy to wrench on chit, but I would like an idea prior to what to wrench on :confused:

BTW........ thanks for the help Wilk :D

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy..... I have went around the house to make sure all windows are locked and have pulled down blinds where I can.
I'm not shy to wrench on chit, but I would like an idea prior to what to wrench on :confused:

BTW........ thanks for the help Wilk :D
I do what I can to help out. If the furnace hasn't shut off, and rooms are still cold, sounds like something with the furnace itself.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do what I can to help out. If the furnace hasn't shut off, and rooms are still cold, sounds like something with the furnace itself.

:D

The furnace does shut off, and I have contiplated tying the wires together to see if that would eliminate the thermostat. I try to go the easiest and simpliest route first

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call you friend MIKE HOLMES. Say you had a unforseen emergency and you tea froze. he will come with his team and rebuild your house. Maybe you need to go to work and bring home the Purple insulation squirter and Geterdone

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Mike Holmes is a BOOB!!!! But I could handle a new house on my yard. My basement walls, Rim joist's and joist's end will be purple this spring. When I bring one of the trucks home :D

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I'm going to grab the electric heaters out of the sled trailer tomorrow, this sucks!!!

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tie the 2 wires together after you pull the thermostat off the wall no worry's it's not 110 volts more like 32 volts

do this to test the furnace Trashy

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tie the 2 wires together after you pull the thermostat off the wall no worry's it's not 110 volts more like 32 volts

do this to test the furnace Trashy

I'll give it a try, the next time it kicks off. Thanks for the confirmation Troll

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Old thermostat is off, and the wires are tied together. The furnace keeps kicking on and off, like there was a thermostat on. It's not running full blown and making heat :(

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like on of the safety sensors maybe shot, if you have some wires and connectors you should be able to make a jumper to test them

Top Bottom