Hotel/Motel Security...Where is it?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear from Hotel/Motel/Resort owners as to what they feel they could do better to ensure the security of trucks and sleds that belong to their patrons. I know that some places provide monitors for their parking lots, but I'm not staying up all night to watch the monitor for thieves. Why not security patrolled designated parking areas? Why not chain link compounds? Of course there would be a cost involved to provide such services but lets hear from sledders as to how much more, per night would you be willing cough up, if you knew your toys would be safe overnight? I'm putting out there that I personally would pay up to $50 a night more for secure, patrolled parking. Maybe it's time to start boycotting places that don't provide such a service. It wouldn't take long for all the owners to get on board if one place provided this service and others didn't. If they want our patronage, prove it. To me this is a "No Brainer" for Hotel/Motel/Resort operators to start providing such a service. What do you guys think? :beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you find very little security at motels for any of their patrons, sledders or others. you would think that someone would pick up on this, i know we'd definitely stay there, even if it cost a little more.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that would be a great idea, for those who do have the space, to put in a fenced compound. I would pay extra, knowing that my truck and trailer, and all the goods inside, are a little safer.

Myself, and a few of the guy's I ride with. Personallly prefer to stay at Bed & Breakfast's. They usually are off the beaten path, private land, and just safer.

But still, I would pay extra at a Motel/Hotel.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pay a little extra per night. Let's say around $10 tops but not $50. If it comes to $50 extra, that is what insurance is for and the insurance company is not going to give you a discount or credit for thinking smart and exposing your property to less risk.

Something like $10 to reduce the chance of a headache would be worth it.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pay a little extra per night. Let's say around $10 tops but not $50. If it comes to $50 extra, that is what insurance is for and the insurance company is not going to give you a discount or credit for thinking smart and exposing your property to less risk.

Something like $10 to reduce the chance of a headache would be worth it.

Insurance must be cheap out of Alberta, with no deductible. Your insurance may eventually look after replacing your rides but what about your spoiled trip, the down time without a sled, the anger and frustration you're going to experience when you walk out into the parking lot in the AM and your truck and trailer are gone. It cost me $800 to insure my two sleds this year with a $500 deductible on each. I put a lot of time into making sure my sleds are looking and running good....for me, not some thief. Ten bucks extra isn't going to get you much....don't be so cheap! ;)

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Insurance must be cheap out of Alberta, with no deductible. Your insurance may eventually look after replacing your rides but what about your spoiled trip, the down time without a sled, the anger and frustration you're going to experience when you walk out into the parking lot in the AM and your truck and trailer are gone. It cost me $800 to insure my two sleds this year with a $500 deductible on each. I put a lot of time into making sure my sleds are looking and running good....for me, not some thief. Ten bucks extra isn't going to get you much....don't be so cheap! ;)

Ya...BUT...50 bucks a night times 10 - 15/year nights buys you a whole lota of security devices that you get to keep each year!!!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Several places already offer that. Peaks lodge in Revy for example has a fenced compound patrolled by dogs. I know of a few others as well. I think it'll come around. :beer::d:beer:

I still like the idea of some kind of a sting operation though. Be fun to park an enclosed somewhere where it would be easy pickins, hide inside with a few cases of beer, my trusty 12 gauge and wait!!!! :beer::d:beer:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Several places already offer that. Peaks lodge in Revy for example has a fenced compound patrolled by dogs. I know of a few others as well. I think it'll come around. :beer::d:beer:

I still like the idea of some kind of a sting operation though. Be fun to park an enclosed somewhere where it would be easy pickins, hide inside with a few cases of beer, my trusty 12 gauge and wait!!!! :beer::d:beer:

Now there's a great idea!:beer:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe if catching thieves generated as much revenue as speeding ticket etc. the local cops would be able help??

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Valemont, we stayed at Best Western, they have a pretty good truck/trailer parking area with a gate that prevents units from driving out after hours, and they park a van across the entrance so people cant drive in after hours. It seemed to work pretty good, even gets all the units parked in the same direction, ready to drive out in the morning.

The only issue would be if you needed your rig out unexpectedly in the middle of the night, might be boxed in till morning. All in all, we felt our rig was safe.

Dean

sldgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I travel to motorcycle rallies (Laughlin, Vegas, even little Surgis and surrounding areas), the major hotels and motels have fenced in areas with extra security for bike parking. Maybe the perception of the Inn owners is that either a problem doesn't exist or that we are not as lucrative of a draw as bikers.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i personally think hotel/motel security should be included and expected in room prices. if we posted hotels with security then we could make the choice and our buying power as sledders will get out to the motel hotel owner community. empty rooms draws immediate attention, that i can say for a fact.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i personally think hotel/motel security should be included and expected in room prices. if we posted hotels with security then we could make the choice and our buying power as sledders will get out to the motel hotel owner community. empty rooms draws immediate attention, that i can say for a fact.

:beer:

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a little more about the security issue and we have to be dilligent and take extra steps to make our toys less available in parking lots ect. By doing so we have less chance to deal deal with all the hassles of stolen and damaged property.
Think of this. The insurance companies could do alot more than just sit back and watch everything happen. They could make mandatory use of GPS locators on your vehicles and toys etc. to ensure a fast recovery and criminal charges. They could hire security people themselves to patrol areas of high claims in an effort to reduce claims. They won't do this because if there was no thefts or vandalism to property they would have fewer products to market. What if sled thefts were zero. No one would buy theft insurance and the insurance companies would not be able to sell theft insurance and make millions of $ doing so.

In essence. Insurance companies like theives. The bass turd theives create a market for them. Just like crop insurance companies. They like droughts and hail from time to time otherwise no one would buy their product.

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a little more about the security issue and we have to be dilligent and take extra steps to make our toys less available in parking lots ect. By doing so we have less chance to deal deal with all the hassles of stolen and damaged property.
Think of this. The insurance companies could do alot more than just sit back and watch everything happen. They could make mandatory use of GPS locators on your vehicles and toys etc. to ensure a fast recovery and criminal charges. They could hire security people themselves to patrol areas of high claims in an effort to reduce claims. They won't do this because if there was no thefts or vandalism to property they would have fewer products to market. What if sled thefts were zero. No one would buy theft insurance and the insurance companies would not be able to sell theft insurance and make millions of $ doing so.

In essence. Insurance companies like theives. The bass turd theives create a market for them. Just like crop insurance companies. They like droughts and hail from time to time otherwise no one would buy their product.
It's not up to anyone else to protect our stuff. The products are out there. Maybe spend money on a security system instead of a hillbilly lift kit and four inch noisy ass smoke auger. Everyone is aware that theft is a problem, they aren't stealing 10 year old trucks pulling a homemade trailer with 10year old sleds on it.
Guys just have to make security a priority....

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance companies are not going to provide those type of services. We have to be realistic. I agree with Summiteer that some guys don't take the responsibility upon themselves to try and protect their toys but there isn't a security product out there that is 100% thief proof. These Pr!cks are getting more and more brash and creative about how they walk off with our investments. Best deterrent out there is the "human presence". If someone is vigilantly watching, they're not coming around. As toothless as the penalties are for these A$$holes they still don't want to get caught.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry but this post was about what hotel/motels are doing or not doing for patron security, not much sense in locking stuff up if it is easy for the yahoo's to get at. given time anything can be unlocked, what is required is some motel security.

so what security measures are hotel/motels taking and which ones are they, as they will be at the top of my list for staying at.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry but this post was about what hotel/motels are doing or not doing for patron security, not much sense in locking stuff up if it is easy for the yahoo's to get at. given time anything can be unlocked, what is required is some motel security.

so what security measures are hotel/motels taking and which ones are they, as they will be at the top of my list for staying at.

That's the question that none of the owners have answered for us yet. Some patrons have indicated locked gates at some facilities but nothing more. :confused:

Top Bottom