Hot Tub Chemicals?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
approx 10 years ago we changed to an ozonator system for approx $350 installed. Zero chemicals, zero testing zero issues and water is always clear and no foam. Sometimes we don't lift the cover for a month and still nice and clear. Hot tub companies will tell you negative spins but our local guy basically told us otherwise as he is also a water tester and monitor for various treatment plants.
Interesting, was told you still have to use chemical especially bromine or chlorine as well that they only last 5 years. So you add nothing?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
correct. I have never added a single chemical in 10 years. Change the water every 3-4 months and zero issues. I also don't use the fancy filter chemicals they sell. I simply spray the filter with sink sprayer then let it soak overnight in hot water / bleach combo then spray again and good to go.

Interesting, was told you still have to use chemical especially bromine or chlorine as well that they only last 5 years. So you add nothing?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
approx 10 years ago we changed to an ozonator system for approx $350 installed. Zero chemicals, zero testing zero issues and water is always clear and no foam. Sometimes we don't lift the cover for a month and still nice and clear. Hot tub companies will tell you negative spins but our local guy basically told us otherwise as he is also a water tester and monitor for various treatment plants.
What kinda tub?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
correct. I have never added a single chemical in 10 years. Change the water every 3-4 months and zero issues. I also don't use the fancy filter chemicals they sell. I simply spray the filter with sink sprayer then let it soak overnight in hot water / bleach combo then spray again and good to go.
Ok thanks. How often do you use your tub?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have an ozonator as well. But sprinkle in some chlorine powder every few days but not much.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone look at the new Arctic Spa salt water tub. Look really good. imo

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no I haven't myself but my tub decided to spring a leak somewhere and cant find it so used a sealer in the water. If it doesn't fix it we maybe in the market for a new tub

Anyone look at the new Arctic Spa salt water tub. Look really good. imo

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no I haven't myself but my tub decided to spring a leak somewhere and cant find it so used a sealer in the water. If it doesn't fix it we maybe in the market for a new tub

I had no luck with the sealer in the water stuff

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You put a hole sealer in the water in your hot tub water????

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I use this also have to add 3 cups of acid to get ph and alkalinity down then trim with ph plus and minus. The best advice you can get is don’t run out of chlorine or bromine I use the floating dispenser they are fool proof that water at 102-104 goes bad very quickly without them. The mineralux makes it very easy to care for water. If you can shower quickly before using your tub it makes huge difference 4-6months before changing water. Lotions sunscreen gels body oils sweat all turn water faster. Generally as water gets older you need to use more chlorine tablets fresh water seems to hold higher ppms for a while. This is my learnings after 6 years of owning one we use ours all the time.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I use this also have to add 3 cups of acid to get ph and alkalinity down then trim with ph plus and minus. The best advice you can get is don’t run out of chlorine or bromine I use the floating dispenser they are fool proof that water at 102-104 goes bad very quickly without them. The mineralux makes it very easy to care for water. If you can shower quickly before using your tub it makes huge difference 4-6months before changing water. Lotions sunscreen gels body oils sweat all turn water faster. Generally as water gets older you need to use more chlorine tablets fresh water seems to hold higher ppms for a while. This is my learnings after 6 years of owning one we use ours all the time.

Are you talking CYA acid?

And does mineralux make a ph+ and Ph- I haven't seen one. Maybe it come in the kit?

dfloria

Reaction score
I used the "Carefree" system from my Beachcomber dealer. Very simple to use. Only 2 products. One about 15mins before you get in and another once a week. Change water every 4 months. It was so good that I quit testing the water and just relied on the additives.....

Top Bottom