Hot Grips Tips

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello to all i was wondering how are it is to install hot grips on a Quad , i have a Grizzily and i want to put hot grips on it any tips for installation .Thanks:p

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey
This is my friend and I dont touch wires so help him out would ya.Would be greatly appreciated!
catmando!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey
This is my friend and I dont touch wires so help him out would ya.Would be greatly appreciated!
catmando!

you have friends?!?

I would run it into a multi position switch, one for low heat, the other for high heat, come straight off your battery into the switch then out to the grips. or come off the key, that way at least you won't kill your battery if you forget to turn them off at the end of the day.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot grips are too narrow for larger hands and a PITA to glue them on so they don't move; they also transmit all vibration from the handle bars to your hands. Other brands that use a flexible self-adhisive heating element under the OEM grips are easier to install; use contact cement to re-fasten the OEM grips. Wire them up using the including wiring diagram... pretty easy. Use a uni-bit to drill the hole for the switch. Seal all connections with heat shrink. Do not use the press on electrically connectors; either strip insulation and soilder wires together or use butt connectors. Tie-wrap wires to existing wires as they are usually run in safe locations.

OEM grips are easily removed by inserting a small diameter screw driver in the hole on the end of the grip. Work the screwdriver between the grip and the handle bars while spraying brake clean along the screw driver shank.When the screw driver is pushed through the length on the grip, rotate the screwdriver while working the driver around the handle bar. The grip will pull right off.

Consider investing in gel grips to replace the OEMs. Gel grips kill all the vibration travelling up the bars. Gel grips are often not listed with atv accessories; check motorcross accessories as they will fit atv bars as well. If you replace the OEM grips, make sure they fit your hands and your handle bars.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have the''MOOSE"utilty division hand and thumb warmers on mine.They are easy to install they come with instructions and everything .I paid 125 dollars for them.You just wire them in to the 12 volt plug.Has 4 settings for hand or thumb.Just spray lots of goop onto the bar and the grip itself and slide right on.You don't have to cut anthing at least on mine .I think they are the best kind.I did have to cut the old ones off and clean off the old glue .

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
And there is a red or a yellow box that is the controller.I think the Yellow one is the better of the 2.My buddy has the red and it seems to lose the setting if you shut the machine off,where as mine has a memory,so if you turn the machine off you don't have to reset your levels of heat.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I put the Symtec ones on mine and they are the complete hand grip w/thumb warmer not just the element they are awesome I robbed power from the head lights so they have to be on for them to work. they have small rocker switches I drilled out my dash beside my gauge cluster and it looks like factory oem install :D

The website does not show a good pic...they are the glue on ones

Hand Grip

Here is what the switches looks like

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I put the Symtec ones on mine and they are the complete hand grip w/thumb warmer not just the element they are awesome I robbed power from the head lights so they have to be on for them to work. they have small rocker switches I drilled out my dash beside my gauge cluster and it looks like factory oem install :D

The website does not show a good pic...they are the glue on ones

Hand Grip

Here is what the switches looks like

We want pics of YOUR install :D

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might not have seen it mentioned but if you check the "Hot Grips" website, there is a good description of how to mount them and what not to do. I see they have an ergonomic model that accomodate riders with larger hands.:eek:

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip to get your old grips off. Use an air compressor with the blower tip and insert it in the end of one grip while plugging the hole in the other grip with your finger. Then just pressure up the bars and the grips should just ballon up and slide off. If the factory grips were glued on this probably won't work. I have the moose hand warmers on mine and like the 5 heat levels. Good luck

Camell

Reaction score
I have the same grips as xtremegriz, they are awesome. Almost a little to warm sometimes but like extremegriz said, 5 different settings. If you dont want to keep you old grips, i just took a exacto knife and cut the grip length wise and it came off with no troubles. But just watch out for the handle bar mounts, cause i tightened mine just a tad to much and broke the handlebar mount for the controller, but nothing a little zip ties didnt fix lol.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a heavy duty solinoid that i run all my accesories off of (switched with key). I also ditched the switches that came with my grips and used marine switches with rubber boot instead. The marine switches seem to last way longer.

Top Bottom