horse s%(#

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It just keeps happening and happening....but do we change our habits?

The two most horrendous examples are the ducks and the deer situations in the eastern townships. We can't keep giving fuel to the environmental movement, period!!

I have seen sledders come upon moose/deer/caribou and show no respect; literally chase/scare them off the trail. I haven't been in a position to see sheep nor goats affected but no doubt it happens. When I come across these magnificent creatures on the trail, whether on my sled or the SnowCat, I take my time and allow them to find a spot to comfortably leave the trail. Yes, I have had to wait or go very slow for a few miles sometimes, but so be it!! I will show my respect and I will not put our sport in jeopardy.

I have mixed emotions about the caribou because there are herds that are in great shape and the same government department allows hunting. That isn't a problem if the renewable resourse is manageable. The herds that are just hanging on with very small numbers, are they expanding into new areas or are the caribou populations being forced to receed because of human encroachment? What were the numbers a 100 years ago? In Canada, there were very few moose south of the Peace River drainage a 100 years ago, so is this similar to the caribou? I know what the environmental movement says and what "their science" says but what is reality?

We have to respect what is already closed for caribou and work in a positive, pro-active manner with the powers to be so that we don't have everything shut down.

Top Bottom