Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well a sled weighs 200 + lbs... with a large platform
a horse weights 1200 lbs ?? with four hoves..

its a little more complicated than that...
:rolleyes:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not on a properly packed trail. You get a couple sleds doing loops and the snow is going to get very compressed. Especially in this cold weather. I have rodeoed and owned horses all my life so I am familiar with them. We used to get around 4-5 feet of snow where I was raised and we would ride on skidoo trails all the time.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry for the miss communication..
look at your sled.. Where is the majority of the weight, In the front.
with ski's at a 4' spread.. your track is packing the way with minimal weight excluding the rider...
just trying to show how much more a horse weighs than a sled...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if they are going to walk out the horses on the sled tracks...
they need to pack snow and we all know that you can't make a GOOD snowball with weather below 0 degrees. Therefore packing snow with the cold temps that we have had is virtually impossible.
We need to wish for warmer weather if that is going to happen..:)

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The colder weather is going to keep the snow very light so its going to be easier to pack down to nothing. Ill give an example. A buddy and I rode the renshaw last friday and the snow was insanely deep. We got back into an area that we could get turned around in so we got stuck. The snow was fine enough that we were able to walk trails in front of our sleds well enough to get them pointed downhill (and I mean DOWNHILL haha.......through trees, hoping there was a way out the bottom) If it was warmer, the snow would have been too spungy to pack down as easily as it did. The cold weather is then going to freeze the hardpacked trail into concrete. Moose and Caribou walk on frozen sled tracks all the time. Their feet are a lot smaller than horses.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
after reading all of this no one has mentioned sedating the horses and skimming them out avoiding the $5000 helicopter bill.
has anyone talked to the local trappers to see if this is possible.

just an idea that I did not see mentioned.

I was thinking the same thing...knock them out,strap them on a really big toboggan,and tow them out....
Must not be a feasable option as no one commented on your post.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well a sled weighs 200 + lbs... with a large platform
a horse weights 1200 lbs ?? with four hoves..

its a little more complicated than that...
:rolleyes:

sorry tool , have never seen a 200 lb sled, back off the mean green, you need a break.
if you were to pack a trail with sleds, they may be able to walk out the next day as stated, although horse hoofs may still break through. how about sprinkling water on the trail?

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it were possible they would have looked at it before they started digging the KM + trench..
your sled is 500 + lbs... how much weight do you think it has on each ski and also on the track ??
you tell me genius..
the horse is going to walk in the middle of the "packed" trail...

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tons of great ideas, but I'm guessing the guys at the end of the shovels have tried to think of an easier way, but there is not one, I ride with a couple of them and they know what there doing, it's kind of there backyard

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the horses will more than likely take the path of least resistance, like the trail unless spooked, no need to get snarky there buzz. most sleds are 600+ fully loaded, and if you put a track down it will freeze hard. A few sleds laying down a track may be enough to make a path that they will follow out. Although depending on the snow depth this may be impossible,
so 600 to 700lb sled plus 250lb rider and gear, you may get 900lb on the snow.
ski should have very little effect, track will lay down the path.
now I don't pretend to be a genius, got 12 went to gr 6 twice, but even with mean green 200lb sleds are still a dream dude.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I would think the folks working to get this task done have discussed alot of different options & have come to an agreement on the strategy being used.:):beer:

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think the folks working to get this task done have discussed alot of different options & have come to an agreement on the strategy being used.:):beer:

If you are standing in the cabin and looking out the back window the horses are over in the tree line out in the back bowl. The angle of the trail being dug is heading through the trees down hill, across the creek and onto the groomed trail below the cabin. There is like 6' + of snow back in there, believe me we came up with every option imaginable, anyone know the number for the River Dance Group, they could line up and pack a trail out for us?:rolleyes:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this has gone way to far off in left field. The point I was making was that if you packed a trail with your sled and you went and stood on the trail with your average weight of 200+ lbs you could make a depression in the compacted trail. What do you think a 1200 lbs horse would do. again the horse has a smaller footprint than you do plus 6 times the weight.
We are getting far off topic and need to center our attention on the horses. Your best help would be to donate money to help them and the people sacraficing their time to helping them out.. or help shovel !!

Top Bottom