Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
Ok, everyone, here's the update.
The SPCA is sending out a vet and 2 constables today to assess the horses condition and the environment they are in.
Matt, Dave, and Stu will be supplying the snowmobile ride up.
As mentioned before, helicopters are in the balance and ready if need be, with of course a fee being required (no need to go into those details at the moment) as well as the groomer should that scenerio play out.
I had chosen NOT to contact the media as of yet, out of respect for the people working up there, and to allow the SPCA to assess the situation. I see now that someone has gone ahead and contacted Global?
We were going to contact our local nearest newsteam when needed.
I am in daily contact with the SPCA, the group doing the work, local sponors and Barry here with the association.
From the visit this afternoon with the SPCA representatives and the vet a decision will be made as how to best continue the rescue and I will truly try to keep you updated out of respect to how many of you have expressed concern.
It is very cold here right now, and with the horses at the comfort level they are right now, we will continue making at least daily trips up there to insure they are fed properly and checked.
Plans are under way, and please feel free to check in as to how you may help.
I will try and attach an albums of pictures showing the progress and situation.
Take care all!

Sara Olofsson
McBride, BC

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had chosen NOT to contact the media as of yet, out of respect for the people working up there, and to allow the SPCA to assess the situation. I see now that someone has gone ahead and contacted Global?
We were going to contact our local nearest newsteam when needed.
I am in daily contact with the SPCA, the group doing the work, local sponors and Barry here with the association.

Sara Olofsson
McBride, BC
how would the media effect the rescue, other than to maybe bring in more help, or monies to ensure this all ends positively? would the SPCA somehow not be able to assess the situation with the presence of the media? just wondering why or who benefits from this being kept quiet. sure isn't the poor horses struggling to stay alive....I would think ANY and ALL help would be appreciated....just my 2 cents.

please inform me as well as other well meaning folks how it cannot help....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
how would the media effect the rescue, other than to maybe bring in more help, or monies to ensure this all ends positively? would the SPCA somehow not be able to assess the situation with the presence of the media? just wondering why or who benefits from this being kept quiet. sure isn't the poor horses struggling to stay alive....I would think ANY and ALL help would be appreciated....just my 2 cents.

MAYBE THIS WILL EXPOSE THE LAWYER THAT LEFT THE HORSES UP THERE???:mad:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MAYBE THIS WILL EXPOSE THE LAWYER THAT LEFT THE HORSES UP THERE???:mad:
we can only hope....if the media gets involved, it would surely not be a secret. who is this guy, and why does he deserve anonymity? bs if you ask me.....release the name

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score

No one is trying to "keep this quiet" and of course any and all help is appreciated, we are simply trying to approach it day by day. And of course the media, and it's potentially positive effects have been and are considered. We are all just trying to respect the guys out there putting in the 'hands-on' effort, which no doubt the media could help with.

The media is now involved, Global News have made contact. Guess we will go from here. Internet and media exposure can be both positive and negative at times. It certainly connects us all much easier.

The whole issue is getting these horses out, that is what everyone wants.

I do not know the name of the owner. SPCA does and have been in contact with him.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just want to say I think you and the community are doing one heck of a job out there. Keep up the good work. Just wish I lived out there and cold be part of the help

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here is an updated link to donate, I will get any funds to Barry daily, this will help pay for fuel, food and and all that it takes for this relief effort.

Thanks to all for your support, I'll chip in $20, lets all chip in and get some help to these guys that are working hard in the cold weather to save these horses.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2000099

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always interesting to watch how overboard people go when it comes to animals. Why not shoot them like has been suggested and move on. I think whoever left them up there is a tool and should be charged, but there comes a point where you have to cut your losses.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It's always interesting to watch how overboard people go when it comes to animals. Why not shoot them like has been suggested and move on. I think whoever left them up there is a tool and should be charged, but there comes a point where you have to cut your losses.

Hmmm a true Grinch....LoL. It is what it is. I think most people have it in there hearts to want to help the misfortunate whether its an animal or the homeless. I am thankful for this gratuity, without it the world would be kinda crappy. I just donated my $20.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 646

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm a true Grinch....LoL. It is what it is. I think most people have it in there hearts to want to help the misfortunate whether its an animal or the homeless. I am thankful for this gratuity, without it the world would be kinda crappy. I just donated my $20.

Here, here! I just donated my $20 as well. Thanks to all who is helping out in McBride!

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's where i have a problem. you threw helping animals and people in the same sentence. The way i see it is you shoot the animals and take the money saved to help people. I guess thanks to PETA and others who put animals on the same level as humans, I am kind of indifferent when it comes to animals.

PS i am not saying that you put humans and animals on the same level.

This is where my money goes.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That would be the easy way of dealing with this situation, but here in Mcbride we don't just take the easy way out. Alot of locals are horse people and this will be dealt with as if it were their own.
Before I moved here I most likely would have said the same thing, but now this small town way of thinking has me converted. Someone or something in trouble we go out of our way to help. And besides, we needed something to rescue, have not had to go after any sledder's for a couple of days.

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score

I just can't help it.....(putting my position in this issue aside and strictly coming from personal opinion).....good idea, let's just shoot the horses.... perhaps that is what we should do to the next rider that comes in and gets himself or his sled stuck, and a bunch of people donate their time and effort and risk themselves for that endeavor as well.

We do the same to rescue a person and even, unbelievably, a machine...so why not a horse that is simply serving his person? I am glad there are people who are of a different opinon than yours that make the world go round. We are supposed to be a higher life form....ahhhh, I'm done, now back to business!

P.S. The horses were assessed as to their ability to survive, and of course if they didn't stand a chance they would have been humanely destroyed.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be the easy way of dealing with this situation, but here in Mcbride we don't just take the easy way out. Alot of locals are horse people and this will be dealt with as if it were their own.
Before I moved here I most likely would have said the same thing, but now this small town way of thinking has me converted. Someone or something in trouble we go out of our way to help. And besides, we needed something to rescue, have not had to go after any sledder's for a couple of days.

If realistic= easy then OK. I have no issue with people wanting to help out. The overboard comment was more in reference to the media involvement.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well said:d

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just can't help it.....(putting my position in this issue aside and strictly coming from personal opinion).....good idea, let's just shoot the horses.... perhaps that is what we should do to the next rider that comes in and gets himself or his sled stuck, and a bunch of people donate their time and effort and risk themselves for that endeavor as well.

We do the same to rescue a person and even, unbelievably, a machine...so why not a horse that is simply serving his person? I am glad there are people who are of a different opinon than yours that make the world go round. We are supposed to be a higher life form....ahhhh, I'm done, now back to business!

P.S. The horses were assessed as to their ability to survive, and of course if they didn't stand a chance they would have been humanely destroyed.

I always love it when these threads get irrational.

Top Bottom