Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

Falling Star

Reaction score
To Ron Charawich, Charles Michaud, Howard Polinski, Brian Zakaruk, and the two other groups of Alberta sledders who were involved in the horse rescue:
Can you please PM me? I have received an invite to a luncheon and recognition ceremony and would like to pass it on to all the volunteers.
Thanks!

If anybody knows how to get a hold of these guys, please let them know. They don't seem to be checking this thread anymore. Thanks.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Wanderlust for starting this thread, it got big fast. I think this consumed a lot of peoples time, not only digging the critters out but reading up on the daily progress.

laserRob

Reaction score

Nice write-up by Frank Peebles. I like his style.

"Sunny and Belle were slowly dying in the deep snows of Renshaw Mountain just before Christmas. Their gift was a lifetime of leisure starting with a long stay at the horsey spa in Prince George."

"The two horses became famous when a motley crew of Robson Valley residents brought shovels and dedicated hearts up the steep mountain and dug the trapped animals a trench to freedom."

Motley crew? LOL!!

'Motley' never looked so good!!!

Rob

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
On edmonton global news tonite..... Many of the horse rescuers were awarded with gov't certificates of appreciation today, including Rod from adrenaline tours and Rod Long etc., in Prince George today.... Lana Jeck was interviewed too!!!! Very cool!!!!!! And congrats again to all that helped out.

Falling Star

Reaction score
Owner of McBride horses charged with three counts of animal cruelty

Attachments

• Media release Feb. 24.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 87

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
By THE CANADIAN PRESS - Feb 24/09

The owner of two horses who were rescued from certain death off a B.C. mountainside has been charged with three counts of animal cruelty.

Frank McKay of Edmonton is accused of abandoning the animals just before Christmas near the town of McBride, B.C., where snowmobilers found them trapped in the snow.

They brought feed and blankets for Belle and Sundance while volunteers started digging a one-kilometre trench that took a week to open up a pathway before the horses could be rescued on Dec. 23.

Shawn Eccles, the SPCA’s chief animal protection officer, says the animals suffered from malnutrition and various health issues after being exposed to freezing temperatures.

They received veterinarian care and were recently placed in permanent homes in Prince George and Kamloops, B.C.

Eccles says McKay will make his first court appearance in McBride on June 22.

Attachments

• 200horse111.jpg
    200horse111.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 226

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

yup, it was on Edmonton Global tv news last nite, too! The guy is a lawyer though, so i wouldn't count on too much happening, but good on the spca for pressing charges!

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
We are in the process of disbursal of the funds donated by SnowandMud members. The funds collected are being used to pay for much of the out-of-pocket expenses for the horse rescuers. Some of the rescuers refused to receive any funds at all (SnowandMud members Barry "bbtoys", Glen "Glengine", Rod "Adrenaline", Sara Oloffson, the Alberta sledders, Tim and Monika Brown - I apologize if I missed any names).

We have replaced the propane used in the warmup cabin, paid McBride Trading Company for the lunches they provided, paid for the sled rentals (which were hugely discounted), paid for some of the horse feed and supplies (the rest were donated by area residents and SnowandMud's "Haggis").

The diggers themselves are being compensated at a daily prorated amount to cover the fuel, etc for their sleds and vehicles.

The balance of funds (not a large amount after all is paid) is going to the SPCA.

Anyone wishing to see a full accounting can PM me and I will send it to you.

Thanks to all of you for being a part of this, and thanks to Ron (Rknight111) for having a place for us to go on SnowandMud.com

Top Bottom