Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of thanks today go out to Dean, Sam, Barry, Steve, Dave, Stuart, Leif, Lisa and ???? (I'm so sorry for my old man's memory :) )for helping to dig. You guys are persevering when a lot of people would have already given up. Guys and gals like Matt, Logan, Toni, Birgit also deserve a huge thanks for their time and energy towards this too-apologies to anyone I've missed. Your hard work and sweat ! in -30 is much appreciated! Fingers are crossed for a warm day tomorrow (and sleds that will start), come and pitch in if you can.:beer: x10 for all of you at the end of this.....

I think it was Birgit that was the other lady up top shovelling.
I have not done as much as many other's in town have, but every little bit helps.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure are alot of people that are being called volunteers but only a few that are acually doing the work. Oh well, the ones that are up there shovelling know who they are, good on you all. See you up there today.
not sure what warranted this comment, but I assume you have your reasons. are the only true "volunteers" the ones on the other end of the spoon?

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another news story from the front page of the Prince George Citizen

I emailed Ben Meisner from Opinion 250 last night and within 2 hrs he had the newstory on his website....Thanks Ben!!

This is a story that is only going to progress as more of the media gets a hold of it....

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
Can someone put a call to Sara. Bioniche Animal Health will be closed for shipping from tomorrow until the new year. If she wants the donation then she needs to give me a shipping address by tomorrow. Thanks Al

I have been away from the computer for 3 days now. You may call me at 250-569-7337 and I will be home tonight. Those supplements may be sent in care of me to Box 729, McBride,BC V0J 2E0.
I can get them up there with Matt, and provide correct doses as well.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Thanks for the donations people, we hit $ 1360 today but there are alot of expenses and every bit will count, the tab is on the left side of the main page.

Also SNOWMOBILERS, they need your help, you have a shovel, spare even 1 hour from the ride while your there and please help out, more people they can get to help the better it is, and we can give these horses a good Christmas.

KootenayChick

Reaction score
All I can say is that I wished I lived closer! I live 12-hours away; otherwise I would be out there helping dig the trench. Instead all I can do is donate some money, send well wishes and good thoughts.

I wanted to pass along kudos to all of you who are assisting in this effort. I do technical animal rescue and sheltering during disaster situations and am well aware of the challenges of such a task.

I also have a confession. Prior to this event I was indifferent to sledders - and truthfully, maybe even a little judgmental or skeptical - (yes, I admit it... I don't own a sled), but through your efforts to do good for these animals that were left in a circumstance not of their making, you and the community of McBride have won me over. What you are doing is not only a great humane service; you have also accomplished a wonderful action in the realm of public relations. Good for you!

As for those nay-Sayers - quit being critical of how others choose to express their kindness. Keep your negativity to yourself since it doesn't help anyone... human or equine. Let these people do what they are choosing to do and cheer them on instead. After all, they have changed my indifference or judgment of the sledding community and I know I'm not the only one.

Once again - to those who are supportive and are assisting, great job on your efforts!!!

Wanderlust

Reaction score
It looks like it's going to be an amazing day to be up in the mountains today. Cold in the valley right now; about -25, but it's an incredibly clear and sunny sky and the temp is supposed to go to -16. Sent a crew from the house this morning again-teenagers in tow :) sucks that holiday plans and work schedules:( are going to get in the way for the rest of the week! There is about 400 m we think between the two trails before they join. Thanks to everyone who has been donating money, time, and feed and also sending good will and cheer out this way.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
All I can say is that I wished I lived closer! I live 12-hours away; otherwise I would be out there helping dig the trench. Instead all I can do is donate some money, send well wishes and good thoughts.

I wanted to pass along kudos to all of you who are assisting in this effort. I do technical animal rescue and sheltering during disaster situations and am well aware of the challenges of such a task.

I also have a confession. Prior to this event I was indifferent to sledders - and truthfully, maybe even a little judgmental or skeptical - (yes, I admit it... I don't own a sled), but through your efforts to do good for these animals that were left in a circumstance not of their making, you and the community of McBride have won me over. What you are doing is not only a great humane service; you have also accomplished a wonderful action in the realm of public relations. Good for you!

As for those nay-Sayers - quit being critical of how others choose to express their kindness. Keep your negativity to yourself since it doesn't help anyone... human or equine. Let these people do what they are choosing to do and cheer them on instead. After all, they have changed my indifference or judgment of the sledding community and I know I'm not the only one.

Once again - to those who are supportive and are assisting, great job on your efforts!!!
Just want to say thanks for your supportive comments. A lot of people who live here and sled are also animal owners and feel like you do that these horses didn't ask to be put into this situation and therefore deserve to be helped. There is still no doubt in my mind that if last Tuesday they had been judged to be too sick or too far gone to get them out safely, another choice would have been made-and so I guess one could say that the right choice for the circumstances was made and here we are today.

gusto

Reaction score
Great job you peeps are doing in Mcbride. I cannot make it up there to dig hopefully a donation helps...

drew

Reaction score
Hi folks, and to all the volunteers trying their best to help those two poor horses, the very best to you. As an animal lover, this story touched me and i have donated to the cause. I also run an online hockey pool which has a fairly wide email distribution. I have sent a note to every pooler, active or not, asking that they help with this worthy cause. I hope it helps!

Bless you all for your efforts. drew..

ps: i live on the island, and while i have a quattro 4-wheel drive, i doubt i could make it to Mcbribe in time to help. I wish i could!

billie014

Reaction score
The person who abandoned these horses up there in the middle of a Canadian winter is nothing but a cold, heartless individual. This person should not get away with this, and I hope they get what they deserve. No animal should be treated this way. My heart goes out to the horses and the volunteers who are working out in the cold to rescue them.

JJMorrocco

Reaction score
Added my two cents. If you don't use it for gas or food, make sure you buy a few rounds at the Hotel for the boys and girls doing the work.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
not sure what warranted this comment, but I assume you have your reasons. are the only true "volunteers" the ones on the other end of the spoon?
I know it's a strange comment. The media has been interviewing the wrong people - ones that are just repeating what they have heard from others involved. They haven't yet interviewed the actual rescuers. That is being remedied. Thanks go out to Dave Jeck, who has headed up this rescue right from the start. Thanks also go to the volunteer diggers (a small but determined group), and thanks to all those that care enough to help in their own way via donations.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As snowmobilers we have all heard, read or been involved in the criticism of a sport that we all enjoy and fight to keep alive. All of the people that come through year in and year out to make our sledding vacations enjoyable from the groomed trails, shelters, to the sled shops that have you up and running the next or same day, the tour guides, restaurants, accomodations, are all coming through again. As snowmobilers we all share the same passion, enjoyment and only wish the same for others. Whether we are helping eachother dig out of a hole, or spending hrs towing a broken sled out and down the mountain it seems we are always looking out for eachother.
We are not a selfish group, and I think this horse rescue proves just what type of people are involved in snowmobiling. As KootenayChick posted, her attitude has a changed a bit towards sledders. Maybe her and others will see what us sledders have known for years. I wish all the best to everyone involved.

KootenayChick

Reaction score
We are not a selfish group, and I think this horse rescue proves just what type of people are involved in snowmobiling. As KootenayChick posted, her attitude has a changed a bit towards sledders. Maybe her and others will see what us sledders have known for years. I wish all the best to everyone involved.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Sledneck - I couldn't agree with you more. It goes to show you that one should never paint everyone with the same brush or judge a book by it's cover. Thank you to all of you hard working sledders who are helping these horses and, in the process, have reminded me of a valuable lesson. I just wish I could do more than just give money. It would be an honour to be there digging by your sides.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
I know it's a strange comment. The media has been interviewing the wrong people - ones that are just repeating what they have heard from others involved. They haven't yet interviewed the actual rescuers. That is being remedied. Thanks go out to Dave Jeck, who has headed up this rescue right from the start. Thanks also go to the volunteer diggers (a small but determined group), and thanks to all those that care enough to help in their own way via donations.

It's important to make sure that the right information is getting out there and that the information is as accurate as possible. From our own experience, more words can be written than are actually said by the individual, but hopefully the message is the same and nothing is taken out of context. For me, what I post online is direct from Dean-the horses' mouth so to speak-or one of. Again, I bring up the word perseverance-these guys have other things to do than get frostbite every day! I've got the salve out and ready!

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know it is not just people involved in snowmobiling that are braving the elements and putting in the hrs to help these animals. I just think for a few negative issues that have been brought up on snowmobiling there are so many positive ones that are never seen or heard. This is a positive one for sure. I think this site proves that we are responsible and caring towards many issues including environmental and animal habitat and always trying to improve ourselves and our sport.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Top Bottom