Hood Repair

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any adhesives that work on hoods…

We knew when we purchased the one M8 that the hood had been repaired, but it looked really good and it looked strong. The guy we purchased it from said it had been welded……

The sled tipped over onto its side ( all by its self…) and the weld came apart…..

We are planning on fitting a piece of aluminum sheeting underneath and riveting it through the hood, paint the rivet’s orange to clean it up……
but would also like to apply an adhesive to help the bond….

The piece broken is the corner that has the hood tie down hook on it.

RTTTTed

Reaction score
On my daughter's M7 I was tuning and testing when the deep powder sucked me over and I 'rubbed' a tree. Unfortunately, it was the top side corner of the hood and it cracked down the back through the edge.:(

So once back in the shop I removed the insulating pad under the hood and fixed the crack before the flexing caused the hood to get really bad.

I took a pair of wire cutters, a pair of needlenose pliers, a propane torch and a roll of Haywire (mechanics wire). I'd snip a piece of wire between 3/4" and 1" long and using the needlenose pliers to hold it as I heated it to Red Hot, then lay it on the backside of the hood and push it into the soft hood material. Using the wire method on the backside of the hood makes it invisible and a wire melted into the hood material pushed into the middle of the hood material with a screwdriver used to smooth the melted plastic over top of the wire makes the "stich" nearly invisible. Epoxy is great - of you can find the right material. Out of the 10 hoods I've fixed this method has definitely worked the best. Epoxy or plastic weld afterwards?

Using Fiberglas sort of works as it does fix the hood, but the polyester resin continues to "cure" for years after it has 'set'. After 1 year the crack is visible again and using fg is not recommended.

My son-in-law bought a lighweight clear lexan (?) hood for my RMK and then I cut and added the headlight pod to that. He painted it later because the oil fumes and belt dust looked really bad. It was only a few hundred bucks, but it was really weak and probably too much work for you to use it? Havn't looked into that option, but ...

Ted

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used a fiberglass kit on my old 87 phazer multiple times. Sanded er down good underneath and applied. Bit of paint to touch up the crack and she was like new. When it broke again was never in the spots we used the fiberglass repair.
Hope this helps!:d

RTTTTed

Reaction score
Used a fiberglass kit on my old 87 phazer multiple times. Sanded er down good underneath and applied. Bit of paint to touch up the crack and she was like new. When it broke again was never in the spots we used the fiberglass repair.
Hope this helps!:d

Wasn't the Phazer using an ABS hood (like Polaris did) back then? ABS -a harder plastic.

Arctic Cat was using the Thermoploycarbonates for their hoods, although the formula seems softer on my new M1000.

Ted

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on the type of plastic there are glues available from the Fusor brand line, you can also plastic weld it. I have done lots of motorcycle panel repairs and plastic repair. The fusor glues are not cheap and you need a special mixing gun that I have as it comes in a two part tube that mixes in the tip.

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
flex bond works really good. there's another one similar to it but it takes longer to set, the name seems to of evaded me.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one correct way:
v out the crack from the back side, sand it with 80 grit sandpaper, apply fusor 142 along with the mesh drywall tape. wait for it to dry, then flip it over and sand it again with 80 grit, then apply fusor 114 and wait for that to dry then sand smooth with 120 and prime, paint, ride...

one redneck way:
drill holes all along the crack on both sides and stitch it with zip ties :d

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one correct way:
v out the crack from the back side, sand it with 80 grit sandpaper, apply fusor 142 along with the mesh drywall tape. wait for it to dry, then flip it over and sand it again with 80 grit, then apply fusor 114 and wait for that to dry then sand smooth with 120 and prime, paint, ride...

one redneck way:
drill holes all along the crack on both sides and stitch it with zip ties :d

rep'd for the redneck way :d

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use a putty marine weld bonds to anything. shape, let harden, about 15 min, sand, paint.

belch22

Reaction score
I plastic welded mine and it has been rolled a few times and the weld is holding strong....

Top Bottom