Honda Pioneer or Yamaha vicking? Help me decided other comments will be looked at

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay, let me start by saying i know the yamaha may need a seat in the back

wife wants a sxs as we have 3 boys age 4, 17months and new born needless to say she wont be quadding with me for a while.

I already have a grizzly atv with a back seat my 4 year old rides on...

she figures we need a sxs for the next 4 or 5 years

we hunt, don't do a lot of mud just like to getting out on a reliable maintenance easy machine...

so let me here your opinion on the new honda or yamaha... i figure they both need large tires for extra ground clearance

can am is too expensive, Polaris is too long, don't like the belt system on the kawi albeit the 4 seater kawi is the best layout IMHOP

thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can speak on the Honda.

A good friend had a Honda Pioneer May long weekend as a demo..

No power.
in the mud would not spin the wheels
Poor steering
not comfortable at all in the rear seats.
No ground clearance.

The honda had the full cab and doors.

When in deep water or on its side it holds about 50 litres of water and 3 fish.

He returned the Honda and purchased a Kawi 4 seater.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can speak on the Honda.

A good friend had a Honda Pioneer May long weekend as a demo..

No power.
in the mud would not spin the wheels
Poor steering
not comfortable at all in the rear seats.
No ground clearance.

The honda had the full cab and doors.

When in deep water or on its side it holds about 50 litres of water and 3 fish.

He returned the Honda and purchased a Kawi 4 seater.

i was worried about the power... im guessing no low gear? Same system as the rincon i think on a machine that weighs much much more im guessing too?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a trail machine pick something else, don't even consider the honda if you are even thinking of going off road, u will be disappointed. As to it's reliability, it has none, it is a farm or construction type machine period.

The kawasaki 4 seater would be my choice for what you are looking for, engineered for 4 seats, very trail capable, has enough power, easy to install larger tires etc.

Way safer for your family, rather than some backyard added seats.

They are your family do it right or don 't do it at all

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a trail machine pick something else, don't even consider the honda if you are even thinking of going off road, u will be disappointed. As to it's reliability, it has none, it is a farm or construction type machine period.

The kawasaki 4 seater would be my choice for what you are looking for, engineered for 4 seats, very trail capable, has enough power, easy to install larger tires etc.

Way safer for your family, rather than some backyard added seats.

They are your family do it right or don 't do it at all

I agree

I rode in the back of Ricks Kawi and I rode in the Honda he had as a demo.

The kawi is safer and is built properly for 4 people.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard their tranny eats its belts is that true? If so how hard to change?

sorry just noticed i totally fudged the spelling for Viking...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard their tranny eats its belts is that true? If so how hard to change?

sorry just noticed i totally fudged the spelling for Viking...

you need to be able to read between the lines. probably have had some failures, belts blow on alot of machines, especially when riding in high range all day long, through the mud and muskeg. For what it sounds like what you want it for, you won't have many problems. it is set up to be safe for a family riding, just slightly longer than a 2 seat SxS, which means less hang ups on trails. look at different machines take the wife and kids, have them sit in the SxS and see how it feels. don't get drawn into which is the shinniest or fasted etc. buy what fits how you think you will ride. although that may change as you keep going. go out and have fun, not try to keep up with the jones.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I would go with a JD gator before either of those... rsx looks pretty good.

Fire Medic

Reaction score
I own the Kawi Teryx4. They have a recall out for the clutch and belt. Must have recognized the need to upgrade. My kids are 7 and 9 and have no problems with the seats. Very comfortable ride with lots of power. I will be at Big Horn Dam this Wed till after the long weekend if you want to test drive it on an actual trail. PM me if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own the Kawi Teryx4. They have a recall out for the clutch and belt. Must have recognized the need to upgrade. My kids are 7 and 9 and have no problems with the seats. Very comfortable ride with lots of power. I will be at Big Horn Dam this Wed till after the long weekend if you want to test drive it on an actual trail. PM me if interested

Can I ride in the back drunk??

See you Wednesday...

Fire Medic

Reaction score
If your in the back and I'm in the back...who's driving?

togo ripper

Reaction score
The Viking has the three seats and looks like a very nice machine the flat black looks great with some big horns and black rims plus you already have the back seat on the grizzly so you have enough seats and yamaha has been in the sxs game along time that would be my pick

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Viking has the three seats and looks like a very nice machine the flat black looks great with some big horns and black rims plus you already have the back seat on the grizzly so you have enough seats and yamaha has been in the sxs game along time that would be my pick

thanks for the info... ya if they were still building the rhino i'd own that... tough little machine... dealer told me viking is only 6 inches wider... hard to believe

hard to find anyone with real world experience with the viking...

Top Bottom