honda 420 or kodiak 450

falconblack

Reaction score
I got a 500 rubicon 2009 and love this machine.That being said OI do not mud bog with it but it go where I need to with 27"Zillas on it.I always loved hodas for the longevity of them,not the ride:beer:

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your looking for a mud machine then I would stay away from the Rancher unless you plan on putting in a gear reduction. They are geared to high for that type of riding and work better on trails or non-mud type terrain.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 420 ES are absolute garbage. We had two and have never seen hondas built so cheaply. Dropped a tranny out of both of them and had 5 other MAJOR work orders on them. Either buy a used 350 ES I have one with 12,000 KMs and never a problem. Or go big ad buy the 500 Honda. We have two of those and they have been better

kawboy

Reaction score
Just took the wife out for her first run on her newly purchased 06 kodiak 450. I was amazed at the crap that thing will go through even with only stock tires, and I ride a brute 750 with 28" outlaws. Its the perfect wife quad, nice light and nimble, and lock up the diff and as long as its not high centered it goes! The low range provides plenty torque, handling and suspention are awsome aswell. I am going to throw some zillas on it in the future and maybe some skids. And i have heard the hondas are under powered for muddin, without gear reduction.

Cameo

Reaction score
I bought my 07 Kodiak 450 new, after looking at everything under $10k. and I have to say i am really happy with it, with the following changes:
1-1/2" lift from Rapid Rev, about $100 and 30 min to install.
Crank up the shocks, as I am 6'-2"/200lbs and I alway have my son on a rear seat
and I need to install the reverse revlimiter delete...I am doing that this week.

It does bottom out, once in a while, Oh I have 700 Grizzly rims and mud lites and 1" spacers (otherwise they lock up the brakes). I got the wheels and tires as a set for cheep. the stock tires are actually really good.
I don't like the 550 and 700 Griz for one reason. They are too wide. the extra cople inches can mean 3 to 5 point turns where my little Kodiak can zip through the trees.

Great little quads with lots of power.

Keep the rad and brakes clean, just like any other machine, and have fun

Top Bottom