honda 420 or kodiak 450

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my '08 Honda 420 ES !!! Black and I upgraded my rims and tires !!! I've quaded with guys with bigger quads and had no issues with keeping up. They are a nice light unit so easy to go thru mud and skeg for the most part !! I've had NO issues with the quad at all. Just gas and oil is all it's cost me !! If I was to do it all over again I might be tempted to try the 420 ES with indepedent rear BUT I really don't mined my solid rear axle (just I little rougher ride but great for traction).
Just my 2 cents !!!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have a 2010 420 independent on my rental fleet and its great. The plastics and other cosmetic detailings are Dirt cheap to replace unlike the Yamaha. Like mentioned before....gas and go.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
- heres a video i got that gives you some info..to consider [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7nGKJtPyw[/media]

- happy hunting.... and yes the 450 kodiaks are on sale... :d:d

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has the 420 honda with aftermarket rim and tires, HMF pipe and controller, and I tell you this thing goes anywhere and ya don't have to worry about the belt getting wet, it's got none. His 420 outdoes my honda 500 with big tire . Seems like it way lighter and the motor is real snappy. It's rougher with the straight axle but at least you don't have to worry about wrecking cv boots . See alot of that at quad rallys. Just gas, check oil and giver. All the time hes owed it he has never put any money to fix it. Just wash and go again.:d:d

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
- heres a video i got that gives you some info..to consider [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7nGKJtPyw[/media]

- happy hunting.... and yes the 450 kodiaks are on sale... :d:d

a viedo made by yamaha not one sided at al . i have had 2 420 one sra and one irs the best little quad out there imo, and with the efi system no worries. better ten the yamaha for sure.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
If those were the only two machines I had to choose from I would get the Honda Trail Addition 420. You will prolly pay an extra $1000 for it but you will make that up 2 times over in the first 3 years on repairs and maintenance alone. Not to mention the resale value of the Honda vrs the yammy. I would have a different opinion all together if you were looking for more CC's though.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
what 420 models have the fully automatic transmission?
what years did that start in?

I think 2009 in the Canadian Trail Addition. I have one it has the option of EPS or Auto with a flick of a switch on the right handle bar. They also have independent rear suspension and disk brakes all the way around. You still have to push that gay little red button though to put them in reverse...not a big deal I guess and I heard you can disable that red button but I don't know how.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 420 after market tires mud lites and our neighbor has a 2008 450 kodiak STOCK tires and it will walk circles around the Honda ride, fuel economy and traction this is my next quad and i was a true HONDA man from the early atc 90 days. The yammy would be almost perfect with a set of good tires. And as far as hondas days of gas and go i guess you dont have a rubicon have 3grand into the front end brakes seals cv joints and gutless gas hog Rant over.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have a 2008 420 after market tires mud lites and our neighbor has a 2008 450 kodiak STOCK tires and it will walk circles around the Honda ride, fuel economy and traction this is my next quad and i was a true HONDA man from the early atc 90 days. The yammy would be almost perfect with a set of good tires. And as far as hondas days of gas and go i guess you dont have a rubicon have 3grand into the front end brakes seals cv joints and gutless gas hog Rant over.

yes I also have a Rubicon 500 and its on its second set of front wheel bearings and its been a little bit of a PITA for me but...we are talking about the 420 and they have been bullet proof for me as far as a rental machine.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 09 Honda CTE 420 w/IRS and love it. My son has the 09 kingquad 450 and he loves his. Both are good machines. I've had absolutely no problems with mine. My sons has already had all the fenders replace under warranty as the clear coat started peeling right away. Suzuki dsm said if one already is then replace all. (his is the black & grey special edition) also just got it back from riverside for an oil leak behind the water pump. Spec wise the 450 is slighty wider, a little more ground clearance, a few inches longer, oem tires were a little bigger. One thing I wish my quad had was a frt locking diff like the Suzuki. One thing I don't care for is the belt drive. Works fine but more susceptible to water and so on. I have gone every where he has gone but he is more daring in the mud and water than I am. Either machine is very capable, both have great reviews. I don't think you would be disappointed with either. Honda has a rep to be bullet proof as other have said, the Suzuki will be a little higher maintenance.

Phhht I just reread this and realized you were asking about yamaha. Sorry.

mudbug

Reaction score
Really if it was me and I was putting out that kinda of coin I would go with the grizzley 550 you wont be dissipointed. It's an all around quad!!!! :):d:)

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO I hate those little 420's in the muskeg with stock tires it wont even turn them with me on it. the kodiak will turn the tires no prob. the solid rear axle makes it ride like a mule. We have had nothing but problems with the electrical system on ours. no headlights half the time. the winch only works when it wants too and the handwarmers quit the first month. there not made for full size men either. I'm not biased just had sahitty lucjk with the one we have at work.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it may be a biased opinion but we just picked up a 2011 Kodiak for the wife and first impressions are excellent. We chose it over the Honda for the front diff lock, high-low CVT, and better ground clearance. If you aren't using the machine for hardcore trail riding the Honda would be a fine choice, as mentioned the cost of parts is probably half that of the Yamaha and the reliability is rock solid. Keep in mind both machines are sized for a smaller rider and if you are over 5'10 you will feel cramped on either one.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to totally highjack this thread, but have you looked into a KQ450?

I can't seem to make my mind up yet either.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Had the Kodiak for years!!! Not one problem. Only thing I did was put some stock Kawi rims and tires on it. The rears were reversed as too widen the stance. Worked fantastic is all I can say. Heat gun on the plastic after bumps brings it back to new too, especially if you get blue.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WIfe has had 2 Ranchers, 1st one was an 04 with ES and full time 4wd. She didn't care for the suspension because of her back so we picked up an 09 Rancher 420 with the power steering, IRS and shift on the fly 2/4wd. You can also shift using ES or leave it in auto. I also put a gear reduction in it and she absolutely loves it.

I've got several buddies with the Yamaha 450's and have seen them go through several front axles, though having diff lock is a nice feature. If I were going to buy a new atv I would consider the 550 Grizzly, 700 Brute Force or even the KQ700.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Rancher with 3500km on it and no problems with it. Just regular maint. and that's it. I've never ridden the Kodiak, but I'm really happy with my 420 so I'd say go with the Honda.

Top Bottom