Honda 350 fourtrax es stuck reverse

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My quad is stuck in reverse and it has electric shifter .... Didn't grind or anything I just put in reverse and now it won't come out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335670759.253635.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335670782.183783.jpg

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try giving it a bit of gas then shift. My old one use to have to that sometimes.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one of these machines that wouldn't go into reverse once, turned out to be a loose connection on the reverse actuator, could be causing your issue too. Flip the machine up on its end (turn the gas off first), pull the skid plate and look for a small black wire that clips onto a post on the bottom of the engine (as I recall it's on the right side where the foot shifter would normally be on a non-ES model). Unplug the wire, clean the leads and cover them in dielectic grease, reconnect and see if that fixes it...it worked for me.

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it won't get out of reverse and then it stalled so now it won't start .... Then I figured out that there is a manual shift like the old ones and it still won't shift out .... I'm think im probably going to have to split the case

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But it sounds like want to shift but won't u can hear the cellnoid and it sounds like it usually does

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the pump........usually they give up the gusto and your just stuck in a set gear position, most times while the quad is running you can manually get it shifted into neutral with a rocking motion, those pumps are expensive......and it's a good weekends worth of tear down and rebuild. Sorry for your luck.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the pump do exactly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The transmission on your quad uses the engine oil, there is an internal pump that keeps pressure to the transmission that aids in the preset shift positions, if the pump fails then the transmission is usually stuck in a set gear........if you try to use the manual shift leaver then rock the quad forward and back you can usually find neutral ....... But it's a big job to replace the pump........hope this helps........maby try to get a proper manual before you do that tear down yourself.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best bet if you're not experienced in troubleshooting/wrenching etc is to find someone that knows what they are doing. Internet forums are not really the best place for getting troubleshooting advice.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
it is not the pump, this is not an autoshift bike.
it is a mechanical shift lever. common issue. this finger is used between both manual shifter and the es.
remove front cover and replace repair shift finger, no biggie. replace front cover and move on.
you need a 8 mil socket. and a few hrs, if my memory serves me correct. it is part number 16 in the parts fiche for a 2003 350 foutrax/fe/trx
you can do this

Last edited:
Top Bottom