Home electrical question

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Had a "razor only" plug in our bathroom, the other night we noticed it was hot and caused us concern...(it's been installed since 1979)

bought a new GFI receptical and am having issues figuring out the wiring.

The plug is in a series circuit... I have a feed cable (black, red & white wire all have power) then what I can oly assume is the out wire (black & red have power and if I break the red/red or black/black connection I lose power to my bathroom lights) I can break the white connection without any effect.

the old "razor only" receptical had one line in (both reds) and one line out (both whites) with the black wires connected and capped.

the new receptical requires 4 wires 2 load and two line.... anyone know how to hook this up???

I originally had the two reds in the load slots and the two whites in the line slots with the blacks left connected and capped as in the old one..this did not work... I hate electricity

Instructions talk about black and white wires but nothing about red...

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?????

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh, wtf you lost me, why did you put the paper clip in the socket in the first place. :confused:

you pulling your wire?

friggin home renovaters

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
apparently I should stick to deck building...

huh, wtf you lost me, why did you put the paper clip in the socket in the first place. :confused:

you pulling your wire?

friggin home renovaters

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of those razor circuits had trasformers in them to step down the voltage. Does it look like some has removed it? Do you have a voltmeter? If you do you want to check to see what voltage is there. 110 to 120 is normal for a regular circuit.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
apparently I should stick to deck building...

na, you may hit your thumb, safety issue, maybe just open a few cold ones and do what i do procrastinate, turn the power off, plug in has no power and thus no problem, use a flash light. :d

friggin safety.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I figured that all out my friend....

There is a transformer in the razor only plug it's still there, but I'm trying to go from a single plug to a double and splitting the reds & whites did not work as I thought it would

I can build a pretty mean deck Larry, and no busted thumbs...

na, you may hit your thumb, safety issue, maybe just open a few cold ones and do what i do procrastinate, turn the power off, plug in has no power and thus no problem, use a flash light. :d

friggin safety.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both whites go on the line side of the GFI (silver screw) ,then both blacks go to the brass line side of the GFI.You do not need to use the load side screws.This plug will only work with the light switch on.It was wired this way to stop the hum of the razor plug.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull a new wire up there and put it on its own breaker...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Nope... that just made fireworks...

Both whites go on the line side of the GFI (silver screw) ,then both blacks go to the brass line side of the GFI.You do not need to use the load side screws.This plug will only work with the light switch on.It was wired this way to stop the hum of the razor plug.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What he said,except use red/white,leave the black ones the way you found them.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Pull a new wire up there and put it on its own breaker...

I've already located the breaker, that part was easy...

the black wire was not used at all on the old one, just a marett keeping black to black... only white and red used....

these instructions say nothing about red.. but now I've tried red (hot) with white on the line and black (hot) with white on the line..

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the line side of a GFI plug is the power in. Brass screw black(Hot) silver screw white(neutral), the Load side is meant to be used if you want to GFI protect something down the line from that first plug(like a second bathroom plug. used to save money) Red or black doesnt matter, both are used as hots.

but yes take a volt meter to it, do each red and black wire to themselves and to white. if you really dont feel confident in it, hire a electrician, or try this out and see what that brings you
Wiring a Bathroom GFCI E-Book : Electrical Online : Electrical Online

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope... that just made fireworks...

Razor box should only have two black and white cables-one that goes to the light,the other to the switch. The plug should not be able to make these short out.Where are the red wires from?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Razor box should only have two black and white cables-one that goes to the light,the other to the switch. The plug should not be able to make these short out.Where are the red wires from?

some guys will run a 3 wire in and out carrying a switch leg to the razor box then up to the light and then over to the fan.. nothings impossible, everyone has their own methods and when you are short 2 wire and have 3 wire you will do what you can with it in a pinch... ive opened up switches and seen hots marreted through and the neutrals on the switch, was curious as why i always had power at the light even thouhg the switch was off

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

the set up is like there is a single cable which has been cut inside the box with both red (hot) feeding power to the razor only and both white (nuetral) connected to the razor only with the two blacks just maretted together...

if I connect the red to red black to black and white to white my fan and light work, if I pull the whites apart fan and light still work if I break the connection on either the red or blacks I lose lights and fan.

I know it will be easy once figured out just a pain in the azz running up and down from the main pannel alnight

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
kinda what I'm thinking MATT... House is no doubt wired 1/2 azzed... we have other issues...

some guys will run a 3 wire in and out carrying a switch leg to the razor box then up to the light and then over to the fan.. nothings impossible, everyone has their own methods and when you are short 2 wire and have 3 wire you will do what you can with it in a pinch... ive opened up switches and seen hots marreted through and the neutrals on the switch, was curious as why i always had power at the light even thouhg the switch was off

Top Bottom