holz Alpha X or timbersled mtn tamer skid??

cookn

Reaction score
talk to Curtis at tracks canada
403-701-5038
he has everything you need
and good advise

znowman_9

Reaction score
A friend has a mtn tamer on a 2009 dragon turbo.
We didn't talk about what his likes and dislikes are with the mtn tamer
but he stated that he wished he had purchased an ez-ride rear skid.
I am also thinking about doing a few modification.
I know ez-ride wasn't one or your two choices but I am curious why?

i never really looked at em i guess. i saw the tech video of the mtn tamer on the timber sled site and swayed me towards the design i guess. i do like to climb but i wanna jump and drop more. and a friend recommended that i get a mtn tamer over baker cause it was meant for climbin more than freeride. baker utilizes your own stock rails to which i didnt wanna do cause they re weak in the first place.

cookn

Reaction score
i never really looked at em i guess. i saw the tech video of the mtn tamer on the timber sled site and swayed me towards the design i guess. i do like to climb but i wanna jump and drop more. and a friend recommended that i get a mtn tamer over baker cause it was meant for climbin more than freeride. baker utilizes your own stock rails to which i didnt wanna do cause they re weak in the first place.
give ez-ride a check,
unique design,
be interesting to hear from someone that runs one.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
156 will work with the new skid and you dont have to change the drivers if you dont like. my friend is running the 3.0 on the 2.86 drivers.

also i reccomend getting the proper puller for the brake disc lol

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pulling a racers edge suspension out of a sled I wrecked...only has about 400 miles on it...

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is snow ejection from the skid. It's fine to have a lighter skid or one that works a bit better than stock but if you're still carrying around 100lbs of snow packed into every nook and cranny like you do with the stock skid you're certainly not doing yourself any favors. I have a Timbersled skid as well and it holds next to no snow in it. I assuming the Holz skid has similar properties but I have no first hand experience with it.

The lack of rollers on these skids makes it really hard on sliders when riding on groomed trails. I've been through 3 sets of sliders in 2 years on mine before I finally decided to shell out for HyperFax.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is snow ejection from the skid. It's fine to have a lighter skid or one that works a bit better than stock but if you're still carrying around 100lbs of snow packed into every nook and cranny like you do with the stock skid you're certainly not doing yourself any favors. I have a Timbersled skid as well and it holds next to no snow in it. I assuming the Holz skid has similar properties but I have no first hand experience with it.

The lack of rollers on these skids makes it really hard on sliders when riding on groomed trails. I've been through 3 sets of sliders in 2 years on mine before I finally decided to shell out for HyperFax.

good point. the timbersled is very simple. way less arms,springs, joints, wheels. all rounded edges.

not much snow sticks in this skid.

znowman_9

Reaction score
give ez-ride a check,
unique design,
be interesting to hear from someone that runs one.

i looked at the ez rides on there site and pretty comparible in price when all said and done. would like to use air shocks instread of coilers. but i cant find any vids of em or any testimony.
this is the 155 to fit 16.5" tunnels

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The fact that it hold no snow is a possible reason you are melting sliders, moreso possibly than the lack of wheels. That and track tension are the two big items IMO. Its a bit of a catch 22, good snow ejection from the skid really helps lighten the sled in the powder, but too much of a good thing and its hard on sliders when on the trail... :D that's the compromise I guess...Seen this alot with the skids that don't hold any snow. I don't have any wheels on either of my rear skids and I can get 3 seasons out a set of hyfax easy which is why I say that its more about the snow evacuation from the skid than about the wheels. I also use my scratchers more than other guys too on the trail I think also, so that contribute as well.

znowman_9

Reaction score
156 will work with the new skid and you dont have to change the drivers if you dont like. my friend is running the 3.0 on the 2.86 drivers.

also i reccomend getting the proper puller for the brake disc lol

a little bit of heat, lit of prying back and forth worked but took 2 hours. it s hard to get and even pull especially on the "pig iron" equivilent of alum.
thought i would have broken it for sure.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i looked at the ez rides on there site and pretty comparible in price when all said and done. would like to use air shocks instread of coilers. but i cant find any vids of em or any testimony.

I have fox floats all the way around on my sled and I find it a pain in the azz to adjust the compression when out in the hills as you have to get the pump out, pull the valve cap off, drop it in the snow, frantically search for it, attach the pump, inflate or deflate as required, then cross thread the cap back on, put the pump away and then go for a test ride to find out the adjustment you just made put things more outta whack than it was before.

Our one buddy has a nice set of Walker Evans on his Assault and he makes us with Fox Shocks all look pretty silly laying on the ground with our pumps when all he has to do is change one clicker to adjust his compression.

If I had it to do over again I would seriously consider the exit option offered by Timbersled.

znowman_9

Reaction score
talk to Curtis at tracks canada
403-701-5038
he has everything you need
and good advise

just talked to curtis and i think ill get my track from him. he says im one of the lucky ones to have a 2008 doo 154 track last 1200 miles. said some didnt last five miles!!! god damn!!

cookn

Reaction score
Ez-ryde has Rick ward's Testimonial on their web site.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fact that it hold no snow is a possible reason you are melting sliders, moreso possibly than the lack of wheels. That and track tension are the two big items IMO. Its a bit of a catch 22, good snow ejection from the skid really helps lighten the sled in the powder, but too much of a good thing and its hard on sliders when on the trail... :D that's the compromise I guess...Seen this alot with the skids that don't hold any snow. I don't have any wheels on either of my rear skids and I can get 3 seasons out a set of hyfax easy which is why I say that its more about the snow evacuation from the skid than about the wheels. I also use my scratchers more than other guys too on the trail I think also, so that contribute as well.

For once I sort of disagree with you. I fail to see how ON THE TRAIL it makes a difference if it holds snow. On the trail, every skid will be cleaned out with the exception of whatever snow is glued to the metal, which has nothing to do with the sliders. I too have no wheels on my skid, and am on 2nd season with factory sliders. My track is loose to the point just barely tighter than it ratchets. Could also have something to do with how many windows are clipped. JMO.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For once I sort of disagree with you. I fail to see how ON THE TRAIL it makes a difference if it holds snow. On the trail, every skid will be cleaned out with the exception of whatever snow is glued to the metal, which has nothing to do with the sliders. I too have no wheels on my skid, and am on 2nd season with factory sliders. My track is loose to the point just barely tighter than it ratchets. Could also have something to do with how many windows are clipped. JMO.

I've never done any testing to confirm or deny my statements, it was more of an observation I've made over the years. I run one track really loose and one tighter, still not crazy tight but I don't see any difference in the wear on the sliders from the track tension (at least from my riding). I don't spend huge amounts of time on the trail, if I gotta ride more than 20 km of trail I usually don't go there. On the trail it makes a huge difference because that is where IMO, the most slider wear occurs, no one wears out sliders riding in 2+ feet of powder.

I was just saying that a skid that really can clean itself of snow in the deep stuff, is also likely at efficiently cleaning itself out on the trail as well. In the deep stuff there is more than enough snow to keep the sliders lubed, even if the skid can clean itself quickly, but when you hit the trail, often times in the later part of the year, there's not a lot of snow available for cooling. If the skid is able to clear that minimal snow very efficiently, it leaves nothing for cooling/lubing the sliders and you could melt sliders faster than a skid that would retain some snow it in to keep things lubed. Being that the trail is where the most slider wear is likely to occur (at least IMO), the on-the-trail snow retention ability of the skid may play a factor in the lifespan of the sliders.

All that being said, I know nothing of Maierch's riding style. Maybe he doesn't use scratchers and all he does is trail ride (or just rides more trail than me) and he might put on 2500 kms a year, then his slider wear is not that far out from the average.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All that being said, I know nothing of Maierch's riding style. Maybe he doesn't use scratchers and all he does is trail ride (or just rides more trail than me) and he might put on 2500 kms a year, then his slider wear is not that far out from the average.

I'm about the same as you. I haven't been to Silent in 3 years because I have no interest spending that long on the trail. I do use my scratchers unless there is fresh snow on the trail and in the spring I use both scratchers and bolt through my skis. My track is not too tight, it's actually ridiculously loose to the point where I may be in danger of derailing my track off the back idlers! I have every 3rd clip removed on my track.

All this being said I have found the most wear coming out of Forester. I assume this is likely because of the long straight sections where the speeds can get over 100km/hr. It's at this point were I think idlers really give your sliders a hand from turning into play doh.

I also find that now that I have some engine work done to the old 800R that I spend more time worrying about keeping the egt's out of the 1200 degree zone on in the midrange than anything. The more up and down with the throttle keeps the top speeds lower and helps things out.

znowman_9

Reaction score

ya i get you on that. ill be runnin scratchers on the front skis only till i hit the pow pow. i runn my track loose as possible without ratcheting and it shows too. my ol man ran his right down to the rails with low miles on it and his track is tight and has a baker skid in it (no wheels). my sliders still at 50% or less with 1200+ miles

Top Bottom