holz Alpha X or timbersled mtn tamer skid??

znowman_9

Reaction score
gonna get a new skid in the rear since skidoos rev xp 08 skid is junk and the track ripped apart:realmad:. so in the midst of tearing out the track i thought might as well upgrade the skid. which is better? the alpha X or the mountain tamer. would like top know pretty quick as to what your thoughts are since i wanna buy one in a day or two!!! thx

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a trail tamer on my apex turbo and really like it, I don't know what the other one is like.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never tried a Holtz skid but i do run a Mtn Tamer. On my third season with it on my 08 XP and i am very happy with it. Stays flat on the snow during pulls and i can still pull up the front end when playing in the trees. Lots of guys will say they aren't tough but i say thats BS. Im 220# before i put my gear on and i would say i jump and drop off stuff more than the average guy and have never had a problem yet. I would recommend the Mtn Tamer but im sure you couldnt go wrong with the Holtz either. No matter what its gonna be way better than stock.

znowman_9

Reaction score
I have never tried a Holtz skid but i do run a Mtn Tamer. On my third season with it on my 08 XP and i am very happy with it. Stays flat on the snow during pulls and i can still pull up the front end when playing in the trees. Lots of guys will say they aren't tough but i say thats BS. Im 220# before i put my gear on and i would say i jump and drop off stuff more than the average guy and have never had a problem yet. I would recommend the Mtn Tamer but im sure you couldnt go wrong with the Holtz either. No matter what its gonna be way better than stock.

thats nice to know im 170# and 23 years and i plan on jumpin and droppin big this and next season. good to know bro! talked to few bout it and im leaning towards the mtn tamer

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got the mountain tamer. sure is light. but strong like mentioned. season two with mine and 2000 miles no damage. and we are hard on it.

this thing has a huge advantage getting speed up into a pull. my stock sled just wheelies out of control if there is any bumps of whoops before a pull while the mountain tamer just pulls right through it with the front end down. but it will also pop it up when ya really need it

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my front arm bolt mounted 3/4'' or so back in the tunnel and my limmiter sucked up 1 hole from where it came from and my skis touch the snow going up hill. Have you tried playing around with different settings yet before you spend $2000 or w/e on a new skid? I also don't find that my sled bottoms out hard when dropping either.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the mtn tamer as well. The skid is night and day better than the stock skid, especially when climbing. The first ride on my mountain tamer I was amazed how I could skip through the ruts on the shelled out hills we were marking on that day. The mtn tamer seems trench less than the stocker which makes the real vertical climbs seem much more effortless than before. After seeing how my sled works with that skid there is a few guys i ride with that are thinking of going the same route. I would have to say that the mtn tamer is a worthwhile upgrade.:beer:

znowman_9

Reaction score
I have my front arm bolt mounted 3/4'' or so back in the tunnel and my limmiter sucked up 1 hole from where it came from and my skis touch the snow going up hill. Have you tried playing around with different settings yet before you spend $2000 or w/e on a new skid? I also don't find that my sled bottoms out hard when dropping either.

havent played with it too much. think i lengthened the limiter strap way back. the skid is f'd anyways. ive straightened the rails once already, replaced an alum crossmember btw the rails that some how broke right in half and now the last linkage bar btw the rails is bent too!!! WTF!! alum has memory and theres stress cracks on the left rail near the "Torque" Block.
was there any problems with the double ported track for that year cause my failed big time?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In your case I can see why you would want a new skid that saves 15lbs, looks pimp, and probably functions better than stock. There was a problem with the challanger lite tracks. The lugs were flying off and everything. The pow max is solid but the ports make it a real trench digger. The 2.5 is a LARGE improvement over stock.

znowman_9

Reaction score
heres my track

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 266

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I think you need a new track! How many kms did you have on it?

znowman_9

Reaction score
In your case I can see why you would want a new skid that saves 15lbs, looks pimp, and probably functions better than stock. There was a problem with the challanger lite tracks. The lugs were flying off and everything. The pow max is solid but the ports make it a real trench digger. The 2.5 is a LARGE improvement over stock.

ya i was just lookin at challenger maxs 2.5 lugs fully cliped single port.
hopefully a 155" will work with the new skid cause camoplasts site doesnt list 154" x 2.5" would like to keep the same drivers too 2.86 pitch i think

cookn

Reaction score
A friend has a mtn tamer on a 2009 dragon turbo.
We didn't talk about what his likes and dislikes are with the mtn tamer
but he stated that he wished he had purchased an ez-ride rear skid.
I am also thinking about doing a few modification.
I know ez-ride wasn't one or your two choices but I am curious why?

Top Bottom