Hole in Rad

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
What about bent rads?
Kor Machining in Rocky fixed my bent rad off my dirtbike a couple weeks ago. It wasn't leaking but it was twisted right out of shape. They ground the support bracket welds off, straightened it and re-welded the aluminum brackets. A quarter the cost of the new rad.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep either the cheap jb weld way that does work well or for a better job any rad shop

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How does one put a fence post through a rad :confused:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have the rad fixed and installed. Friends took it South of Hinton didn`t even get it off the truck and rad leaked again. Got a super deal on a NEW RAD from Slederz in Edson. Girl there was super friendly and real nice to talk to. She took my card over the phone and it was all ready for the friends to pick it up today. Real nice customer service. They are building a new shop to fit the corporate image hope them well. I will be stopping in there more often

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry some sticks of 2 part epoxy when we are out trail riding. You never know when you might skewer your rad with a tree branch. I was backing up once and a branch punctured the rad from the backside (which is not as protected as the front). Cleaned it up as best I could, dried it off and applied the epoxy. It has held perfect for many years now.

When I asked about welding it up many experts told me that epoxy is just as good or better than welding to repair a puncture.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never really thought about a rad puncture! will have to get me a tube of jb weld.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
never really thought about a rad puncture! will have to get me a tube of jb weld.

I find the 2 part epoxy putty like quick steel works better and faster. Comes in a plastic pill bottle like tube. Looks like modelling clay with the two parts, just tear off a chunk, knead it together and apply. Hardens fast, where JB welds take hours and are runny. Quick trailside fix.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the 2 part epoxy putty like quick steel works better and faster. Comes in a plastic pill bottle like tube. Looks like modelling clay with the two parts, just tear off a chunk, knead it together and apply. Hardens fast, where JB welds take hours and are runny. Quick trailside fix.

great idea, runny won't cut it on the trail. thanks will pick up a pakage of the quick steel.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to replace the rad. Fix didn`t even make it off the truck. Ran quad in the shop a few times no issue loaded it on truck and seen it was leaking again. Thanks Riderz in Edson for the deal on the rad. Pretty hard to get into plug off the tubes. Aluminum welding could work. The expoxy they used didn`t

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I used JB on mine. Washed it out real good with water and then used torch to make sure it was good and dry. Used a small pick tool to find the actual hole and spread it open a bit. Coated it liberally with JB making sure there was good penetration into the actual hole and let it sit for s few days. That was this spring and hasn't let go yet. The quick steel I mentioned earlier would be good for a trail side fix. Either way you only get one shot at it, cause once that shut is in there, it'll be real hard to remove and repair it again.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't pick your nose after using it.... Makes your fingers stink worse than a high school dance...

Yer right that stuff smells terrible, almost like dead stock odour,

SM-rider

Reaction score
May I ask what kind of welding machine does it require to fix a full aluminum made rad? And would be worth it?

Top Bottom