highfive props

Captainkip

Reaction score
Anyone used a highfive prop on a 115 motor? I have a johnson 115 fast strike and would like to try the highfive. Anyone have any info?

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put a stainless 4 blade on a 18 foot boat with a 115 merc, got a better hole shot some say not to put the hi five on smaller motors others say yeah, the 4 blade was a 17 pitch worked well, hope that helped a bit they are pricy thats for sure good luck:D

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you order one online? Somebody have site adress? $1000 is regular price, $750 at show. Should have taken one with the boat at $650. Would be thinking about 500 bucks online as it is usually cheaper.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out shipwreck marine in edmonton. they sell the high five props for cheap. also suggest your try a sting ray. its a fin you put on the leg of your motor and it gets you up onto plain faster. great product. we have had one on our boats for the last 18 years and highly recomend them.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've looked at the Stingray and heard mixed reviews on it's success. What boat/motor are you running yours on?

check out shipwreck marine in edmonton. they sell the high five props for cheap. also suggest your try a sting ray. its a fin you put on the leg of your motor and it gets you up onto plain faster. great product. we have had one on our boats for the last 18 years and highly recomend them.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I bought my boat at shipwreck, could have gotten a high five at the time for $650 but went for the cheaper alum 19 pitch($200), original was a 21 pitch. Also have shipwrecks fin on the leg, boat planes at about 19-20 but trying to plane sooner for the kids. High five is next step, I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 16 foot side winder 140 with just plan old prop but i put the fin on from Cabelas (they are on line) what a difference hole shot awsome and planed very quicklyi think it was only couple hundred bucks

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks for the advise, just to be clear, are you talking Trim Tabs?

I had a 16 foot side winder 140 with just plan old prop but i put the fin on from Cabelas (they are on line) what a difference hole shot awsome and planed very quicklyi think it was only couple hundred bucks

Attachments

• TrimTabs.jpg
    TrimTabs.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 202
  • trim Tabs1.jpg
    trim Tabs1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 192

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one i had fit on the transome i had to drill 4 holes and bolt it on i think it was called hydrofoil

The one I have is a gull wing hydrofoil, not sure it did much. Need another boat same as mine to compare, heard the sting ray is better, to bad I already had the gull wing drilled on.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Ok, I know what you guys are talking about now....see attached photo of a gull wing.
Some say it helps and others say it makes no difference. My biggest problem is pulling tubes, the boat sits so low in the water it's center of gravity just doesn't work well.
I think a bow mounted fuel tank is the way to go to get more weight on the front end.

The one I have is a gull wing hydrofoil, not sure it did much. Need another boat same as mine to compare, heard the sting ray is better, to bad I already had the gull wing drilled on.

Attachments

• hydrofoil.jpg
    hydrofoil.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 176

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hp is very important with prop diameter and pitch, but i have seen a boat overheat to the point of stalling, and after chasing the problem with thermostats, water pump, and then talking it to the local marine mechanic, he found out in 10 minutes that it was proped wrong (was working too hard for the amount of water coming into the leg) and it never did it again!!

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my boat at shipwreck, could have gotten a high five at the time for $650 but went for the cheaper alum 19 pitch($200), original was a 21 pitch. Also have shipwrecks fin on the leg, boat planes at about 19-20 but trying to plane sooner for the kids. High five is next step, I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost.

the other problem is the cost to repair a aluminum prop when things go wrong.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember that with a Hi-5 you are grabbing more water so you may not have to drop a pitch. I had a 19 3 blade but went to a 21 hi-5 when we added 160hp. The 19 cavetated bad.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the Stingray and heard mixed reviews on it's success. What boat/motor are you running yours on?

we have it on a 4.3L merc inboard and we had one on our old 90 horse johnson. we got out highfive prop from shipwreck for $650. at first we went with the 19 pitch but the boat revved way to high. so we went to a 21. that and the stingray together make out boat jump out of the hole amazingly well.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at shipwreck last week and they had a used high-five for $400 that looked brand new. Tried it out on Sunday and it deffinatly made a difference out of the hole, lost about 5MPH on top end but it's woth it.:)

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, we put one on are 19 ft starcraft that is runing a outboard merc 150 hp. At first we had a 21 pitch on it because that is what the stock pitch was, we returned it because we could not get the revs out of it. We put a 19 pitch and it is a rocket out of the hole. I have pulled 4 tubes with 2 person in each tube and 4or 5 in the boat. It still pulls out with no problem.

Top Bottom