high idle

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im with these other guys on a cracked boot or leak somewhere. Seems that is the prob and where I would start looking. When idling, if you have a acetylene torch give it a wiff around and see if the engine goes nuts. Could use Eitherv too but hard to control the spray.

Not picking on you or your post, just easier to quote yours. Instead of back reading

But if there was a leak in a boot or manifold, it would go to high idle right at start up and not wait until it warm :confused:

Again....not picking on your post :beer: :beer: :D

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not picking on you or your post, just easier to quote yours. Instead of back reading

But if there was a leak in a boot or manifold, it would go to high idle right at start up and not wait until it warm :confused:

Again....not picking on your post :beer: :beer: :D

No offense taken. It could be after things warm up as with heat stuff expands, and it would be a tiny crack or leak. Im not a prof at this either just my thoughts on things and things that I have seen in the past.

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it looks like it was just some bad fuel....i should know better than to run regular fuel than premium just cheap i guess.:eek: alittle octane boost cleaned it up. thanks again guys.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
it looks like it was just some bad fuel....i should know better than to run regular fuel than premium just cheap i guess.:eek: alittle octane boost cleaned it up. thanks again guys.

I figured that could be the problem. I was at a rally a couple years ago and got to the check stop on fumes. Put my jerry can of premium in and topped it up with regular. Drove from the pump to the check in a couple hundred feet and it was already idling way higher than when I shut it down at the pump.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What happens when you give them a flick of choke? If they idle down a bit, then you need bigger pilot jets or try opening the fuel screws......
My bet is your pilot jets are restricted - change them. While you're at it, change the mains, too. Cheaper then a new top end...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they look good,but i used sta-bil when i put them away last time would that have anything to do with it? i also put half litre of oil in with fresh fuel when i started them. 40 litre tanks.

I didn't know low octane would cause something like this. Thanks for posting what you found.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of low octane creating high idle speed conditions. There's gotta be more to the story me thinks. You said bad fuel then you said "i should know better than to run regular fuel than premium". Those are two different things. Did you have bad fuel or just regular 87 octane?

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both sleds doing the same thing, i bet it still was just the carb boot sealing up after they warmed up. The 98 670 made more power with 87 octane thats all i run in mine.

Top Bottom