high idle

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 98 670 and a 2000 700 it seems like there stuck in

high idle even after i let them warm up. its all most like they wont kick down.

any suggestions.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New problem? Or has it been for a long time? Possible ice build up in carbs holding the slide up a bit. Sticking throttle cable cable adjusted to tight leaking carb boots/crank seals
What are they running at for rpm?

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it just started happing as i just got them started for the first time. they sat for a season as we never used them last year. normaly idle down to about 1750

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its idling at 3000 rpms and wont kick down. thats after they warm up for a good 10 minutes or so.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check carb boots and crank seals for cracks. Try spraying brake clean or something flammable around them and see if rpm changes. Then fix the cracked seal

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they look good,but i used sta-bil when i put them away last time would that have anything to do with it? i also put half litre of oil in with fresh fuel when i started them. 40 litre tanks.

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
flick the chock it idles down and stalls but never had this problem before. everything is stock

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they run fine when you say going down the ally for a quick blurp its just when you stop they idle high.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check carb boots and crank seals for cracks. Try spraying brake clean or something flammable around them and see if rpm changes. Then fix the cracked seal

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i have a 98 670 and a 2000 700 it seems like there stuck in

high idle even after i let them warm up. its all most like they wont kick down.

any suggestions.

My 97 Summit that I bought new in 96, always did that when it was warm. Lift the choke quick (as mentioned) but only for a second. A friend had a 98 Summit that he bought new in 97 and his did the same thing.
Just like don't park your sled nose down a hill, for a break. Try to park it level, or nose up.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could also be that the pilot jets are partially plugged which would cause them to idle high. It's strange they are both doing it but just work your way through each one. They each may have different problems or could be the same. As stated by Magnet try the flammable spray. The sta-bil would not cause anything like this.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my '07 800R, and advice to me has been to start with cleaning the carbs any way I can, then check boots 2nd.

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i all ways drain the fuel out of the garbs and clean them. this is why im stumped. they ran fine before i put them away. i keep them in the garage.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
My 04 and 09 both do this. I find it is worse if I put regular fuel in them instead of premium and if running at low altitudes. The Summits are borderline lean when in the prairies which makes them want to idle high. Like said before just give a quick flip of the choke and they calm down.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
my 98 doesnt have chock it has a primer.

Then give the primer a push or so, to bring the idle down. I ripped apart my carbs every year, main jet was set for 1000' above Edm and it still idle'd up everytime it got warm. I think it's just a ghost in the machine. When I sold my Summit it 2001 to my brother, he was still hacing the same issues....
I think my 04 Rev HME did the same thing, I only had it one year and really can't remember???

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you cleaned the carbs before you put them away?
I would still pull the carbs and clean them and start from there.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im with these other guys on a cracked boot or leak somewhere. Seems that is the prob and where I would start looking. When idling, if you have a acetylene torch give it a wiff around and see if the engine goes nuts. Could use Eitherv too but hard to control the spray.

Top Bottom