HID's not working?

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, so my new (to me) truck came with HID's, and they were working fine, but now when I turn the lights on, the left one flickers then just turns off. What's happening? And how can I fix it?:mad::rant::confused:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
change the bulb.

If they are like mine you can buy a replacment bulb.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, so my new (to me) truck came with HID's, and they were working fine, but now when I turn the lights on, the left one flickers then just turns off. What's happening? And how can I fix it?:mad::rant::confused:
I have had nothing but problems with my hid lighting kits as well, so called professional install and run around.........I have yanked them out of my 2008 f 250 and the wifes 07 truck, now the one in my dodge is acting up, ( there is a draw somewhere that I can't find and* that sucks on cold days* because I can't even start the truck plugged in at -25) thought I had a fuel rail heater out but I think it might be anther hid kit gone bad.)I'll never run HIDS again, I like the light but with Nighthawks and a good set of PIAAs running I get just as good light with no hassel.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either a ground or ballast problem, does the system have a realy harness directly conected to the battery or is it pulling its power from the blub socket wires? Some of these new vehicles have low current starts at teh bulb socket which is not good for a hid system. I had the same problem when I installed my kit on my 09 GM, so I had to get the realy harness and its been running for over two years now (knock on wood) and it was a $40 kit from china. My driver is starting to flicker slightly now but it could be a ballast starting to go, but it only flicker when you spin the wheels on ice or snow, read somewhere that that could be due to the instant voltage increase from the alternator spinning up when the motor revs?

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a big fan of the HID setup anyhow, too complicated. I'm just going to get myself a set pf PIAA's.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of looking around on this and also asked a buddy who installed ours on our trucks. becase dodge typically uses the highbeam as the driving lights you have to install the regulator.. so that being said.. he said to check the grounds and the ballasts to see if thats the issue.

or like you said just put in the PIAAS and youll be happy iam sure.. easy fix

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the sylvania silverstar ultra lights and they are just as bright as hids and fit into the stock headlights. and i drive 25000 kms a year in the dark

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just threw the whole HID setup out and went with some good ol' sylvania's. Cheap, simple, easy DONE. p.s. thanks for the input

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a big fan of the HID setup anyhow, too complicated. I'm just going to get myself a set pf PIAA's.

If you have a newer ford super duty with the h13 bulbs the piaa bulbs are an improvement but they do not last save your reciept cause you will need it as they will burn out in less than a year (first bulb lasted 11 months second bulb burned out 4 days after 1 yr warranty ran out )
And there are no silverstar,silverstar ultra or nighthawk bulbs available in h13

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a newer ford super duty with the h13 bulbs the piaa bulbs are an improvement but they do not last save your reciept cause you will need it as they will burn out in less than a year (first bulb lasted 11 months second bulb burned out 4 days after 1 yr warranty ran out )
And there are no silverstar,silverstar ultra or nighthawk bulbs available in h13

i had the same thing happen, burnt out a week after the warranty but partsource gave me a new set anyways. because they are hotter they dont last as long.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for three years now in my GMC 2500hd no issues as of yet.
Will never go back, they can't be beat at night.:beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the sylvania silverstar ultra lights and they are just as bright as hids and fit into the stock headlights. and i drive 25000 kms a year in the dark

Not a chance! Unless your talking a 10000k + color then it's just more blue purple. 5000k is the brightest hid

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of looking around on this and also asked a buddy who installed ours on our trucks. becase dodge typically uses the highbeam as the driving lights you have to install the regulator.. so that being said.. he said to check the grounds and the ballasts to see if thats the issue.

or like you said just put in the PIAAS and youll be happy iam sure.. easy fix

It's because dodges lights are digital. This will cause flickering and other problems if you don't use a digital hid kit

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a chance! Unless your talking a 10000k + color then it's just more blue purple. 5000k is the brightest hid

i have found a white light with a slight blue tint is the brightest you can go without giving to many people headaches. any brighter on the color scale and you cant even notice it. and if you go to bright carma will catch up to you and someone with airplane landing lights will flash you...

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you flick your light switch on and off a few times they usually both come on...i had that issue and Retro Solutions sent me a small capacitor and that solved the problem...its a known issue with the ford superduties.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have found a white light with a slight blue tint is the brightest you can go without giving to many people headaches. any brighter on the color scale and you cant even notice it. and if you go to bright carma will catch up to you and someone with airplane landing lights will flash you...

Yes. 5000 is pretty much white white. The higher you go the
More blue you add. Mine are 6000k and have a nice blue
Tinge but not stupid blue. If you go below 4500 it goes more yellow and dimmer.

HID color chart | Xenon colour chart

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've got the Sylvania Silverstars in my '06 GMC and I got just over a year and a half (50K) before my first bulb went. I don't think that's too bad. I was told the same thing that they won't last long, but it was better than I expected. I'm just carrying a spare of each bulb. Takes less than a minute to change one on this truck.

Top Bottom