Hi completely new to the site 15 years old!!!

Mrlake

Reaction score
Hey guys im really interested in quading and dirt biking and all. I am currently saving up for one of the two, currently i only own my grandpas 1978 kawasaki KM 100 :D good condition. But i need a bike that i can go to some rough places. But my question to u guys is if I were to get a quad what size would be the best, im 15, 5,5ft and dont want to buy one that is only gonna be good for a couple of years. I want one too last. So would a 300 cc quad be ok or is that to big? Any other sizes? And trust me im not saving to buy a cheap chinese bike/ quad im looking for Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Can Am, Suzuki, Arctic Cat and Polaris.

Any info would be great, looking forward to talking to you all once i get my quad/ dirt bike :D I live in BC!!!

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Snow and Mud MrLake!

The size of quad would likely depend on your weight and experience. In any case, I don't think a 300 would be too big for you at all. In fact a good used 300-400 might be perfect for you for a couple of years - beat the crap outta that bike then buy a bigger one once you're a bit older and more skilled.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I would go 450-500 honestly. You can always control how much power your using and I think a 300 would get old and too small very fast for a 15y/o

Chax

Reaction score
Mrlake, welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for an ATV, i'd start out with a Honda foreman. They are very very reliable quads, and a 350cc electric shift 4x4 model will handle just about anything a new rider would think to throw at it. They aren't heavy, easy to work on, and have decent enough power for moderate trail use. If you're thinking mud or very steep hillclimbs, i would look into something else other than a Honda Foreman though. They don't have very good ground clearance (which matters for mud) and not quite enough power for extended vertical hillclimbs like those found at Brule Lake.

There are 2WD ATV's available on the market that are relatively inexpensive, as well. And to answer your question, 300cc is adequate depending on the ATV in question, and the type of use the machine will be used for.

On to dirtbikes. They are very good for hillclimbing, they don't roll over, they are less expensive to purchase, if you crash them they are generally less expensive to fix than an ATV, and have more power and speed (exceptions do apply). They do, however, require more skill to ride, are less geared for long distance riding, and are more fatiguing - which won't matter given you're 15, just thought i'd mention it. Dirtbikes are very hard to ride on wet, rutted, root-filled trails. On these trails, you slide all over the place. Therefore, you are heavily dependent on weather conditions - or at least dependent on weather for certain areas of riding. I ride mainly out at the Bighorn Dam, which I have ridden both on an ATV and a Dirtbike. On the Bike, I was terrified of rain - some of the hillclimbs up in D7 are hairy on a good day, nevermind when they're wet. The first signs of cloudy or rainy weather, I would high-tail it out of the bush and make for clear open ground on my Dirtbike. This isn't the case with an ATV on those same trails - rain and wet hillclimbs are ok. 4x4 for this kind of riding is a must, however.

Something to think about.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my moto-4 was a 225 and it never got old....

I would go 450-500 honestly. You can always control how much power your using and I think a 300 would get old and too small very fast for a 15y/o

All depends on what your after & what kind of riding. can't go wrong with a foreman 400 or 450 for reliability. But the smaller machines can be fun too my 2wd Yamaha moto-4 went where all the big boys went and was easy to unstuck - and tough - very reliable machine.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
my moto-4 was a 225 and it never got old....

All depends on what your after & what kind of riding. can't go wrong with a foreman 400 or 450 for reliability. But the smaller machines can be fun too my 2wd Yamaha moto-4 went where all the big boys went and was easy to unstuck - and tough - very reliable machine.

Ok if your bogger a 225 is ok...... Seeing as your not..... Go 400 or bigger

Mrlake

Reaction score
Well thank you. Everyone who responded helped me a out alot :D I think, not sure im going to go with a dirt bike just for price wise, unless i find a nice quad for a reasonable price. Like Chax said dirt bikes are better for hills and speed. I love Hills sooo... My prefered bike right now is a Suzuki RM 125. They are really nice bikes. But honestly a Yamaha yz 125 would be fine too. i was looking on craiglist and wandering if you guys could tell me if these are good deals or if there of any good value.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/4603699742.html Suzuki king quad 1994 300cc
99 susuki rm 125 *PRICE DROP* Suzuki Rm 125 1999
99 susuki rm125 Suzuki RM 125 1999
1998 grizzly 600 4x4 Yamaha grizzly 700cc( too big ) 1998
1998 Yamaha Grizzly 600 Yamaha grizzly 1998
2005 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Yamaha Kodiak 400cc 2005
1995 Yamaha KODIAK ATV a?l wheel drive Yamaha kodiak 1995

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track. If you have a limited budget and just starting out a 2 stroke 125 would be a good choice. Easy and cheap to repair. Easy to ride. Will keep you riding for a few years until you can figure out what you need for yourself. Don't forget a helmet(full face), goggles, gloves and a set of motocross boots.. The rest can come later. Boot and helmet are the most important and do not ride without them!!

Mrlake

Reaction score
Thanku @the_real_wild1 :D yeah i have a helmet just need my boots and gloves now

jbussche

Reaction score
Well you have to check your by laws for your area. I know you have to be 16 to operate a quad as it says on the machine. I would get a Kodiak 450 or the grizzly 550 as I have one and haven't had any issues and there are a very reliable quad. If this helps you great just be safe and always wear your helmet

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if I was in the market for a quad or dirtbike and unsure which to buy the 2005 Kodiak 400 would be my first choice on that list. they are good reliable machines with decent enough power to take you most places. Just resist the temptation to put real big tires on it as they will steal to much power and take some of the fun factor out of the quad. Good luck in your search and enjoy whichever toy you buy.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you have to check your by laws for your area. I know you have to be 16 to operate a quad as it says on the machine. I would get a Kodiak 450 or the grizzly 550 as I have one and haven't had any issues and there are a very reliable quad. If this helps you great just be safe and always wear your helmet

If you'reconsidering the Grizz 550, you may as well just go to the 700. They're the EXACT same quad, just different displacement. Brand new a 700 is only $600 more. I don't think I'd go this route though unless you go with a 2014 or newer since the stance on the 2014 has been increased (making them more stable).

Also, here is a much easier to ready summary of the OHV laws in Alberta. You only have to be 14 to ride a quad on public land without an adult present. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf Keep in mind that each county also has it's own little rules and exceptions.

Last edited:

jbussche

Reaction score
I agree after he gets some experience on one before going 700

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
If you're looking for a 125, don't dismiss the 250 versions. Due to the power development in these engines, the 250 can actually be easier to learn on. In either case, you'll want to gear it lower with your sprockets. It'll help on the hills. And most trails.
If you're lucky you'll find a bike that has a slipper clutch on it. They are a big help on nasty hills, too.

If you go with a quad, remember that bigger isn't always better. I've seen old 350 4x4 foremans drive circles around newer, bigger machines that sank in muskeg. In tight trails my friends on new 6-7-800cc quads fall pretty far behind, pretty quickly when I ride my little X.

Also, I've seen some really good prices on Kijiji BC for Husabergs. Check them out, if you get a chance.

I broke a lot of bones when I was your age. I will suggest that you learn from my mistakes and get full MX gear. Not just helmet an boots. It would have saved me at least 2 trips per year to the hospital.

Top Bottom