HEY A** CLOWNS!!!!! Safety gear does not end at beacon, shovel probe!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a Garmin Rhino 120. Gps radio. These are the way to go. I have 2 of them. And usually lend on to the tail sled. (I'm usually lead sled).
The others in my group ride with the Motorola Cobras. A cheap walkie. For the most part it works great. Where it fails is when one of us gets separated and can't describe where they are. Saying on a hill next to a tree doesn't really help. With the Rhinos. A push of a button shows everyone exactly where you are.

The other thing. Wear bright colors. Looking for that stealthy black sled with rider decked out in black gear in the trees is hard. The bright colors pop out easier. When I get stuck between trees off the beaten path out of sight. I'll hang my bright orange back pack off a tree where it can be seen. This way my riding buddies have an easier way of finding me.
Do u find the 120 goes through battery like mad... Unless plugged in...

Mine won't last a day if gps and radio are on

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But I remember sledding being a lot more fun heading up the hill with a 12 pack and just enough fuel to make it back to truck, pack also got lighter as day went on.........I'm pretty sure a decade later my bag weighs 40lbs more water less beer and a tool for every time we have had an incident socket sets, wrenches, locktite, jb quick weld, zip ties, metal tape, electrical tape, torch, lighter, tree saw, hac saw, TOILET PAPER, extra goggles, extra gloves, gps, radios, spot, cell phone turned off. Sat phone is a nice to have the spot somewhat makes it less necessary.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pencil flare. I've never fired off a flare but I have a bear banger from it. I carry both. Was thinking of firing off a bear banger to possibly get the attention of someone in the area then firing a flare off immediately after. Or are the flares that bright they can't be missed? Not even sure how high they go.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do u have a cord to plug it in and charge it while riding

On Katies 600 (she has electric start) i went directly to the battery with in line fuse to a cigarette lighter plug mounted neatly on the dash. So easy to do and all kinds of 12v power during the ride.
I think you can do it to sleds with out a battery as well but not sure how. Would be nice to have on the 800 as well.......

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got it wired at the dash for a lead dog, the big guitar style male-female plug all ready

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to get all preachy, but for the love of god, if all you have is a beacon, shovel, and probe, get some F'n radios if you carry nothing els!!! As well, make a plan with your riding partners to check in with them if its been 5 or 10 minutes since the last sighting! Radios can make the difference between losing half a day of riding, looking for each other, having a night over on the mountain, or even yes, Death! Yes there was a time when I rode with non of these things, all I'm trying to do is create awareness. I have wasted much of my riding time pulling guys out of the trees cause they got separated from there group and had no idea where they were. I mean, realistically, you should have the gear to spend at least 1 night, if not more, on the mountain. If you do not have the gear on you to do this, you do not have what you need to be in the mountain back country! The radios don't even have to be good, just enough to know your close enough to have some sort of contact. Other ideas to have, some sort of flash light to signal/pen flares, lighter/flint & accelerant, a CPR mask, first aid kit, extra cloths/gloves, rope, food, water, inreach/sat phone/spot, GPS and tools. Just to list a few! Oh, and not just one of you, all of you should have some form of survival kit!!!

I'm surprised at some of the responses to this thread. I would have thought that most people would have told you to F!@#$%F after calling them A**CLOWNS. If you want to raise awareness and still maintain credibility, show the people on this site some respect. A lot of the older members on this site are already aware of the do's and don't's of the mountains and don't appreciate a junior member with a condescending attitude call them A**CLOWNS. You yourself admitted to riding without a lot of the gear you mentioned, does that make you an A**CLOWN? No, it makes you a human, one that has learned from his mistakes. If you were to continue riding without this gear, knowing what you know now, that, would make you an A**CLOWN.

Now, I hope I didn't derail your thread because there are some very good points to be made. A lot of these points can be learned from taking an avalanche course. Lori from Zak's Tracks does an awesome job Bringing awareness of the do's and Don't's of mountain riding, and she doesn't resort to name calling.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I'm surprised at some of the responses to this thread. I would have thought that most people would have told you to F!@#$%F after calling them A**CLOWNS. If you want to raise awareness and still maintain credibility, show the people on this site some respect. A lot of the older members on this site are already aware of the do's and don't's of the mountains and don't appreciate a junior member with a condescending attitude call them A**CLOWNS. You yourself admitted to riding without a lot of the gear you mentioned, does that make you an A**CLOWN? No, it makes you a human, one that has learned from his mistakes. If you were to continue riding without this gear, knowing what you know now, that, would make you an A**CLOWN.

Now, I hope I didn't derail your thread because there are some very good points to be made. A lot of these points can be learned from taking an avalanche course. Lori from Zak's Tracks does an awesome job Bringing awareness of the do's and Don't's of mountain riding, and she doesn't resort to name calling.

Yes, at one time I would fit in this category, and people are not telling me to F off, probably mainly because they see what I'm trying to do. Lastly, in advertising, they call it an attention grabber. Not trying to be offensive, just trying to get those who wouldn't typically read a " informational back country" or " what you need before heading into the back country" forum. Having s title like " a** clowns ", people tend to get curious. Now that that's out of the way, back to topic.

My buddy and I picked up the yellow T3, and we keep commenting on how well and easily we can find each other! Bright colours are defiantly a good call!

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pencil flare. I've never fired off a flare but I have a bear banger from it. I carry both. Was thinking of firing off a bear banger to possibly get the attention of someone in the area then firing a flare off immediately after. Or are the flares that bright they can't be missed? Not even sure how high they go.
You should fire one off, if nothing else just to familiarize yourself with it....

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know

The last thing I would be firing off in the alpine is a bear banger…good way to trigger a slide...

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Not that I want to get into it, but pretty sure that's a myth. Unless it a sonic boom from a low flying jet or a massive explosion at close range in extreme avalanche conditions, noise will not trigger a slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last thing I would be firing off in the alpine is a bear banger…good way to trigger a slide...

While probable, very unlikely.

MythBusters Episode 82: Snow Special

I was tempted to fire off a flare but didn't want to send a false emergency signal in case someone saw it.

I shot a bear banger at a friend (we were running around a big pond in Airdrie, he was on the other side). It was so loud he crapped his pants. We saw a lady get off her bike and check her tires LMAO.

MADMAN

Reaction score
Azz clowns?

Don't mean to get all preachy, but for the love of god, if all you have is a beacon, shovel, and probe, get some F'n radios if you carry nothing els!!! As well, make a plan with your riding partners to check in with them if its been 5 or 10 minutes since the last sighting! Radios can make the difference between losing half a day of riding, looking for each other, having a night over on the mountain, or even yes, Death! Yes there was a time when I rode with non of these things, all I'm trying to do is create awareness. I have wasted much of my riding time pulling guys out of the trees cause they got separated from there group and had no idea where they were. I mean, realistically, you should have the gear to spend at least 1 night, if not more, on the mountain. If you do not have the gear on you to do this, you do not have what you need to be in the mountain back country! The radios don't even have to be good, just enough to know your close enough to have some sort of contact. Other ideas to have, some sort of flash light to signal/pen flares, lighter/flint & accelerant, a CPR mask, first aid kit, extra cloths/gloves, rope, food, water, inreach/sat phone/spot, GPS and tools. Just to list a few! Oh, and not just one of you, all of you should have some form of survival kit!!!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radios are only so good. I got stuck, could hear sleds radioed, radioed, couldnt hear sleds. I just took my time. My iq would trench to china and never get on the snow. I was on a slight incline just about on a flat, trees everywhere so i couldnt roll it, so i dug all around it, rocked it, it was sitting on concrete.... Thought i was good to go.... Eased into it, and trenched down again.... I couldnt believe it. Finally i hear sleds again and they radioed me and found me. Seen my 30' sled grave. Took a 174 pro and a 164 pro to pull me out with my sled on packed snow. They would go and stay level and my sled would just dig in and anchor them..... So glad to sell that pos. my pro night and day is better.

But yah, radio waves dont go thru mountains. Luckily my group met up all 14 of us that year and realized i wasnt there and went and found me on the way out. This was around salmon lake.... Then needed to ride the shovel trail and that long damn trail.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another to take is a ast1 course before heading into the mountains. My son and I just finished one and we learned lots

Reactions: RXN

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after seeing the young fella layed out at renshaw by the cabin last weekend one thing that will be in my pack from now on is a bivy bag, gave them my emergency blankets to help radiat some heat off the fire to him and block the wind but if it wasent for the bivy back his wait wouldve been alot longer.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carrying all the gear is great, but unless you know how to use any of it, or willing to, your no better off. At least you'll be tired though from carrying around all that sweet stuff. And, be able to brag on the interwebs about how your amazing.

Top Bottom