HEY A** CLOWNS!!!!! Safety gear does not end at beacon, shovel probe!

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Don't mean to get all preachy, but for the love of god, if all you have is a beacon, shovel, and probe, get some F'n radios if you carry nothing els!!! As well, make a plan with your riding partners to check in with them if its been 5 or 10 minutes since the last sighting! Radios can make the difference between losing half a day of riding, looking for each other, having a night over on the mountain, or even yes, Death! Yes there was a time when I rode with non of these things, all I'm trying to do is create awareness. I have wasted much of my riding time pulling guys out of the trees cause they got separated from there group and had no idea where they were. I mean, realistically, you should have the gear to spend at least 1 night, if not more, on the mountain. If you do not have the gear on you to do this, you do not have what you need to be in the mountain back country! The radios don't even have to be good, just enough to know your close enough to have some sort of contact. Other ideas to have, some sort of flash light to signal/pen flares, lighter/flint & accelerant, a CPR mask, first aid kit, extra cloths/gloves, rope, food, water, inreach/sat phone/spot, GPS and tools. Just to list a few! Oh, and not just one of you, all of you should have some form of survival kit!!!

Last edited:

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Have a bad day did we? :hmm:
Nope, but you could if you don't have the right gear!

Unfortunately non of the people who could use this advice, probably never visit this page. It would be nice if there was a way to put a friendly reminder of what one should have before entering the back country on each "snow conditions page". Everybody checks those pages!

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've never carried radios before, but just picked up 2 of the BCA's for the wife and I.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never carried radios before, but just picked up 2 of the BCA's for the wife and I.

So does that mean you were an Ass Clown all these years then Bogger?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are finally set up with all the gear this Christmas. We had the beacons, shovels and probe (with AST1) This Christmas we got Avy packs and BCA radios. Took a few years but it has always been a goal to complete the list.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which radios have the gps on them so you can find your riding partners when you get separated? Not necessarily like garmin gps but at sort of a homing beacon for other radios to see where you are direction wise and you can see them.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Those are the only ones I'm aware of, pricy and hard to convince the rest of your crew to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Rhino's work great for finding someone, as long as they are your contact you will see them on your screen. Wednesday my daughter took a wrong turn and we were separated from my husband and son. I had everything I needed to spend a night on the mountain. Took her back to the cabin I had marked earlier in the day, made a fire, radioed where we were. Simple solution, saved hours of searching in an unfamiliar area.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a member of sar one of the most important items is the pencil flare, takes up no room and may save you from spending the nite on the side of a mountain which can hard on body parts or worse fatal. in a blizzard or with wind at my back when I am looking for you, you could be 100 feet in front of me and I will not see or hear you. everything that has been mentioned is all material that will heighten your chances of survival.
if it doesn't look good for finding your lost person don't wait to ask for help, the sooner the better.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a member of sar one of the most important items is the pencil flare, takes up no room and may save you from spending the nite on the side of a mountain which can hard on body parts or worse fatal. in a blizzard or with wind at my back when I am looking for you, you could be 100 feet in front of me and I will not see or hear you. everything that has been mentioned is all material that will heighten your chances of survival.
if it doesn't look good for finding your lost person don't wait to ask for help, the sooner the better.
Good idea!!
Where can one get these?

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Keep in mind, there is a fair to good chance you may become separated from you sled (willingly or unwillingly). So either double up what's on your sled, in your pack, or keep the most important stuff in your pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carry two pencil flare kits. A definite must. Even if you say went down a ravine and got stuck you could shoot one of for help. We helped a guy a few years back who that happened to. He was ok but sled was buried, riding alone and he couldn't get out. We saw the flare and drove down and helped him get out. Obviously never ride alone, but if it happened by accident and your group never knew where you went........ good to have. $25 per kit.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those are the same ones I carry and came in handy a couple years ago. Also carry the LED head lamps in my pack. pretty dark walking down the trail at night without light.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a Garmin Rhino 120. Gps radio. These are the way to go. I have 2 of them. And usually lend on to the tail sled. (I'm usually lead sled).
The others in my group ride with the Motorola Cobras. A cheap walkie. For the most part it works great. Where it fails is when one of us gets separated and can't describe where they are. Saying on a hill next to a tree doesn't really help. With the Rhinos. A push of a button shows everyone exactly where you are.

The other thing. Wear bright colors. Looking for that stealthy black sled with rider decked out in black gear in the trees is hard. The bright colors pop out easier. When I get stuck between trees off the beaten path out of sight. I'll hang my bright orange back pack off a tree where it can be seen. This way my riding buddies have an easier way of finding me.

Top Bottom