help

shawncarr

Reaction score
Alright i picked up a 98 polaris scrambler 500 off a guy a couple weeks ago took it out and ran it for a couple hours and it ran strong as can be but when i was done and loaded it up i noticed there was a leak coming from the bottom of the carb. So i took it into polaris and they said it was the valve needle and something. I had that fixed got i back did an oil change and it wouldnt get past idle everytime i would give it any throttle it would backfire. Took it back again and they cleaned the carb. It ran for about 5 mins and now all it does is idle hard stall and backfire when running. Im tired of taking it in. Could it be a fuel problem or anything? Any help is apreciated

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
running to lean lot of different things could cause it but look for a vac line that never got reattached and make sure the carb boot is all the way on and tight.or you have a pluged jet or dirt in your tank

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A fouled plug, would make it backfire and run like crap too

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try new fuel. Maybe the fuel is old. Easy thing to try.

shawncarr

Reaction score
What fuel filter. Gas goes straight from the tank to the fuel then on to the carb. Theres nothing there that looks like a fuel filter. And i replaced the plug the first time i got it back from polaris thinkin that would be my problem but it isnt. Where would i check the vac lines at. Fuel pump? carb? And the boot is on and secure. But if it backfires hard it pushes the boot straight off.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure the cap is screwed on tight to the coil wire, and the coil wire to the coil or CDI.
If your back firing out of the back, you are running too rich, out of the front is too lean.
Get all of your set screws lightly seated, and then back them out one turn each and go from there.
Don't go more than a 1/2 turn with each adjustment after one full turn out.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
if its pushing the carb boot off check your valves sounds like a intake valve isn't right you may have a bad spring

shawncarr

Reaction score
Alright got an update. After messin with it i took a chance and plugged one of the side ports of the carb that draw in air im gonna guess. And it idles hard but it will now take throttle and actually run like its suppose to out of idle. Dont know where i should go from here because the plug is only temperary

Top Bottom