Help with piston wash

Turbo_Albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.fenrichhomes.ca
Doing the top end on my new to me 07 xrs 800. Just wanting some opinions on the piston wash. Let me know what you think...

Thanks in advance

piston.jpg

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a little new to piston wash myself to take this as gospel, but from the amount of oil carbon on top, I would say it was a little lean.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, looks slightly rich. All depends on mileage on the top end though. If you are doing the top end and that's the old piston, then it was rich for its lifetime. If this is the new piston with only a few miles on it, you might not have developed a full carbon coat on it yet (too premature to tell). Confirm jetting also by checking the fuel ring on your plug porcelain, you will have to cut the plug threads off to check it properly, and looking at the base ring of the threads, this is a good indicator of jetting.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
top centre should be clean then turn a light tan colour to the outer edges your plugs should read a nice light tan if you are running right

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would a tad rich. Looks about 1/4 to 1/2 inch washed corners.

Just leave it cause if u drop it u might ask for trouble

Looks about right for a 07 800r as they were not lean in the mid cause they used the right needles ect.

Lots of guys with 08-up xp's put in the 07 needles to fix the lean mid

sent from my htc

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its rich, drop the mains a size or two and recheck wash an color....don't mess with the needles.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks fat especially for a Doo twin. If it runs well, I'd leave it alone. Lean is mean but fat is happy.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty shinny top.... How much oil do you use? As for needles, leave them. I have seen more sleds lean out Judy going down the trail than lean out on main jet.

As for wash, I would leave main jetting you already close. Dropping a jet is only going to yield another 2-3hp? Is it worth the risk.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definately a tad rich. The wash should be 1/4 to max 1/2" on each side. The center looks a tad richer because of the design of head if stock and the squish band. It looks ok and you could go down a jet size without a problem, but as someone else said here, lean is mean but fat is happy. Another question is if its running clean then its not an issue. Another one is what is your riding style? If your on trails and not WOT for long runs, this can be showing as such. If you are running WOT, then I would drop 10 on your mains and take another look.

Top Bottom