Help with New quad suggenstions pros and cons

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same dilemma a couple of the guys I ride with bought 1000 Can-Am outies but I have had Yamaha's for years and know they are reliable I have a Raptor 700 and a Wr 450 dirt bike so I decided to go with the new Grizz it has some minor improvements over the older ones. ( would be nice to see a V twin Yamaha ) Not to say a Can-Am isn't reliable But I know Yamaha's are and I have owned a couple of Polaris Scrambler's 400 & 500 and was always wrenching on them. I have no problem keeping up with the Can-Am's on the trails on a road they leave me in the dust but I'm OK with that I'm getting old anyway. We will all have these quads for a while and we will see who does more wrenching vs ridding time will tell. But like others are saying if you want the biggest fastest go with the Can-Am.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know...its not always about the fastest.. its about technology and how it is applied to the product... its about the feel.. the suspension....the handling that draws performance junkies to Can-am. I mean the power certainly helps! lol

.. now don't count popo out at all.... they have stepped up to the plate big time now in the quad area.. took them 7 years to smell what can-am was cookin! lol
but they are there now with a vengeance .... they will continue to rule in the sxs area with can-am a close 2 nd... but watch out in the years to come.. what will be brewing...
Competition is good, so we will see..

For me, as far as I am concerned my G1 Rene is tried,, true and tested far beyond any other machine...hehe

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 3 grizzly 700's with EPS and finally made the switch to canam.I have an 11 outlander 800XT son has same in 12 gen2.Theres a lot of places I ride now I wouldn't dream of taking my unstable grizz over.I hated that rear tire in the air or front end coming up too easy on the grizz.Suspension on the canam is night and day smoother over rocky terrain.Probably the only thing I miss on my grizzly's was slow speed hunting as the CVT is way quieter on the Yamy.Fuel mileage is about 30% better on the canam,power no comparison the V twin keeps pulling long after the one lung grizzly is out of breath.Reliability goes to Yamaha other than a fluke engine related issue on my gen1 its been bullet proof in the last 3500kms.First year gen2 sons quad had a few minor issues all fixed under warranty.No brainer the left over 13 1000xt over a 14 yamaha the canam is also probably cheaper and includes a lot of goodies yamaha does not.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is why I love this forum.....

I had to talk to my Yamaha dealer before snow checking a sled. He let me ride a turbo Nytro for a day, and it was a great machine. Just not my thing. He understood.

I'll go talk to him Monday and see what he says. I hate NOT dealing with them because they're so awesome, but.....

It's looking like the majority are echoing what I'm saying 'If Yamaha built it, we'd all buy it'.

Not sire how long I can wait Yamaha.

When does the new stuff come out?

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the Canam its a much better quad than a popo or yammie one ride will convince you

Sent from my S4

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My office partner is selling his 2013 1000xt in camo, bought it last summer has about 200km,.. says take over payments. Shoot me a pm and I will give you his number if you are interested

Ranarampage

Reaction score
Grizzley is a good quad and reliable i hear.

My first quad: I bought a renegade xxc 1000,

My second quad a week later:I bought a outlander xtp max 1000,

Can ams are fun, Real fun but I hear a bit more maintence over all. I think for me its about the experence, I dont need anything more then half throttle but after that is where the machine gets nuts. I started with the renegade and thought i would give it a go. I thought i would wait till summer for the second quad.

I would only consider a visco lock qe can am quad from the can am line up. The suspension on the xtp and xxc are worth the upgrade from xt models alone. If you dont need racks, buy a renegade a bit easier to move around on, if you need racks and storage, and stuff like that buy the outlander xtp. Renegade is a hard quad to tame, outlander is a hard quad to tame, But thats why its fun ITs a RUSH
The outlander is the sleeper version of the renegade

My third quad will most likely be a can am.
XTPandXXC_zps6511076c.jpg

Last edited:

Ranarampage

Reaction score
I let my 16 daughter ride my 1000', she s 100 pounds, never worried about her on it. But hard quad to tame when approaching full throttle if you want to use the power you have to go light into it or really lean over the front be careful around corners if your riding fast. Its easy quad to ride fast but still the useable power range is different with different areas of grip. It likes to be on two wheels. but it is easily managed with thumb control and honestly I like it, Its beast aftr half throttle. My oppinio, I am sure you don't plow snow at full throttle

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure you don't plow snow at full throttle
No. It's hard to plow when the plow is in the air on a wheelie. LOL. (yes folks....with traction, the Renny1000 will wheelie with a plow on the front)

When your kid(s) get on yours you should use the grey key (brother-in-law key I call it). Limits the speed and power.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never owned a canned ham but know a guy who's had a few. No comparison in my opinion. Grizz is a good machine but the fun factor is way off with, from what I've seen, very comparable reliability. Buy Yellow.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It's hard to plow when the plow is in the air on a wheelie. LOL. (yes folks....with traction, the Renny1000 will wheelie with a plow on the front)

When your kid(s) get on yours you should use the grey key (brother-in-law key I call it). Limits the speed and power.

Same key you use too...

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No he uses the black one it just turns grey when the RZR's show up. HA HA.

dsenych

Reaction score
We have a King Quad, Grizzly, and an Outlander 800... The Suzuki and Yamaha great machines but after riding the Outlander it feels like going from a new 800 sled to a 1980 440 LOL. They all handle pretty well but the power in the Can-Am is in a different league. I've heard though from a lot of guys that the Spotsman is supposed to be right up there to but I've never ridden one..

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm usually an Impulse buy kind of guy, but lately I'm really trying to slow down and weigh all the potential pros and cons of an item (really pissed my wife off at the grocery store hahaha) so I really want to be well informed.

This quad will likely (hopefully) last me 4-5 years as a main ride, then become 'the spare'. Our group, as a rule, loves water, hates mud and is more into trail riding for the fun of it. Basically, exploring.

My main uses will be snow plowing, mowing, and the above exploring/ swimming, etc. A bit of hunting thrown in also.

I'm not a major power freak, but I do enjoy a good wheelie. In the case of my old 07 Brute Force, a reverse wheelie haha.

Can you grizzly guys get the front end up fairly easy? I know from experience that the can am will carry a wheelie for a while.....

Thanks for all the input guys!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what your describing, it sounds like you would be better off with a SXS. If so back to the drawing board.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wheelie easy? lol, not for me me. It turns out I'm wheelie challenged, but others seem to have no problem, especially after some good clutching.

Top Bottom