Help with New quad suggenstions pros and cons

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a Yamaha guy so naturally I'm drawn to the 700 Grizzly. Our dealer in town is awesome too so that helps. That being said, the design is getting pretty long in the tooth. Does anyone know if the improvements to the '14 model are worth it?

Apples to oranges here, but I've found a great deal on a new held over 13 outlander 1000 xt camo. That dealer is also good.

I like the reliability and dealership relationship I have with the Yamaha, but power is kinda low not being a V twin.

I'm unsure on Can Am, but like the idea of the power and comfort. Buddies have had 800 and 650 and had good luck with them.

Whichever one I buy will likely get skid plates (ricochet probably), maybe some clutching, bumpers, and a good all around tire (28" Zillas or the like), front box, and stereo maybe.

Uses will be trail riding (bit of everything) and our group loves water and rocks, but bot so much mud.

Also, I have a 400 metre driveway plus acreage yard that will get plowed.

Real world feedback with reliability, fun factor, etc would be appreciated please!

Thanks y'all!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i would say fun factor.. definelty the can-am.... now the grizzle will get from A to B also.. but if your anything like most guys are and into performance , then Can-am and Polaris is setting the trend...
honestly the truth is that brp and popo are now light years ahead of all others.. now if you only care about getting from A to B, by having the tires rolling forward and don't give 2 craps about better handlng, better frame geometry better suspension, more power then get something else and save the money.. like it or not that's the way the industry is going...

now as far as problems with one compared the other... it depend on who you ask and who has had a bad rap with there brand there driving...they are all that way... one hates them and one loves them... i personally have put 6700 km on a can am and 9002 km now on my other machine in 3 1/2 years .... had my share of problems but i would have had about the same with any other brand too. i mean if the power is not there, what can break... you want performance you got t expect more broken parts... that's just the way it is...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you picking between Grizzly and Can Am go with the Can Am

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Grizz is tryed, tested and true! for the fun factor, you can't compare to a V-twin of any brand. I ride Kawi's and love them but i wouldn't hesitate to buy the can-am over the yami. Where i live it came down to dealers and WKM in lloydminster has been really good to me over last 7 years. They are also the reason i bought a Cat when my Doo got stolen.

Redneck002

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Canam and its been a great bike i spend a lot of time in water and have had a little bit of electrical greif but once i pulled apart all my electrical connections and dielectric greased them all its been good i would recommend doing that right out of the gate if you go that way. Good luck on your buying hunt.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my PoPo and it does what I need for $3000 less than the Can-Am I was looking at. Being up in PR,.. Will any stealerships up there let you ride before your buy?

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome info guys! Keep it coming!

How has the G2 setup, and the 1000 been reliability wise? Any must do mods?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my PoPo and it does what I need for $3000 less than the Can-Am I was looking at. Being up in PR,.. Will any stealerships up there let you ride before your buy?

If you paid 3 grand less, you got a lesser model...pricing is comparable right down the line....

Renegade XXC 1000 - 13,649
Scrambler Xp1000 EPS - 13,999

Outlander 800R DPS - 11,499
Sportsman XP 850HO EPS - 11,399

Outllander 500 DPS - 9,549
Sportsman 550 EPS - 9,899

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealers up here likely will let me test ride one. I have a buddy with a grizzly and a few with can am, so not so worried about ride.

I just don't want to regret buying one over the other for any reason

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you paid 3 grand less, you got a lesser model...pricing is comparable right down the line....

That is good to see...

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not last year, and not up here. You don't remember my post from before saying they want so much because of location, I paid IIRC about $10,400 OTD for my 850 last year

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not last year, and not up here. You don't remember my post from before saying they want so much because of location, I paid IIRC about $10,400 OTD for my 850 last year
I call BS. So you got a grand off...OK. But I find it hard to believe that the Can Am dealer raised the prices 2 grand over list....

Last edited:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We went from die hard Honda people to die hard Yamaha people to never again Polaris people to maybe Can-am people. Last spring hubby bought the 800 can-am and really likes it , better stability than the yamaha and he loves the v-twin power, very smooth. He convinced me to sell the 550 Grizz and buy the 650 can-am. I really like it, but I also like the yamaha's. The can-ams are more stable in off camber situations, you have to get used to the rear diff howl, but only notice when riding above certain speeds, you get used to it. We don't mod our machines except better tires, and only go 1 inch taller. Hubby kept waiting for Yamaha to come out with the v-twin. That is not going to happen, not anytime soon.

tough decisions, good luck

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the kind of riding you like to do. The Outty is a great machine and you can't beat it's power, but I still think the Grizz is a little more fun to ride especially on heavily whooped out trails. The grizz does have a much higher center of gravity, making it considerably less stable in technical terrain, but wheel offsets will go a long way to stabilizing the machine. However, despite my affinity for the Grizz, I don't think I'll let it stop me from buying an Outty when it's time to upgrade.

Top Bottom