Help with a truck purchase

ratatatat

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a truck. I have been a gm fan and had good luck with the past few but want a quad cab 3/4 ton and thinking of putting a light camper on it but would like to stay with a short box. The gm q cab short box will not take most campers. Looking at a Dodge. Won't be new, a couple of years old with around 50ks. Anyone have experience with the ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. How's fuel economy, any issues with the transmissions?

Thanks!

jeffso

Reaction score
my dad has an 2004 with 5.7 hemigets about 22miles to the gallon and a hole lot of power 60,oookm no problems

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22 mile per gallon sounds a little unreal for a 2500... expesially the hemi... I would be mostly conserind about the front ends on the dodges, seems like you cant keep them togeather.

I would stick with a 2500 gm if I wear you ride way better, also noticed that in 4x4 for some reason any dodge that i drove if say your spinning in 4x4 in snow or mud the front end seems to hopp.... never had that issue as much with the fords or gm's..

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I if was looking at buying something i would look at a Gmc or Chevy truck. There is know way a 2500 dodge hemi would get 22 mpg. I have 2007 gmc 2500 hd with the 6.0 and on a good day 16 mpg is the best i have done with it. But lots of power. can hook up to anything and pull it.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I if was looking at buying something i would look at a Gmc or Chevy truck. There is know way a 2500 dodge hemi would get 22 mpg. I have 2007 gmc 2500 hd with the 6.0 and on a good day 16 mpg is the best i have done with it. But lots of power. can hook up to anything and pull it.

what do you have i want to compare cuz i can beat you 16mpg with mine

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a truck. I have been a gm fan and had good luck with the past few but want a quad cab 3/4 ton and thinking of putting a light camper on it but would like to stay with a short box. The gm q cab short box will not take most campers. Looking at a Dodge. Won't be new, a couple of years old with around 50ks. Anyone have experience with the ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. How's fuel economy, any issues with the transmissions?

Thanks!
I had A 1500 hemi and got great fuel milage 22-24mpg empty no heavy foot, the 2500 will be a bit harder on gas especially towing, when I had my trailer behind the 1500 I got 10-12 mpg.

jeffso

Reaction score
i can bring it up there and we can go for a ride to prove the 22 mpg no joking thats what it gets on highway.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with a tail wind prob chipped and intake and small tires

Don't forget down hill.LOL Wow 22 miles to the gallon there must be a real small decmial in there some where.Had a few freinds that had 08,07,06's both in 2500 & 1500 and all where 12 to 16 mpg.What ever your doing let the rest of us in on the secret.:d

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Our truck is for sale, see avatar, $5600.00 obo. Excellent mechanically, excellent body. 4 absolutely brand new tires. PM if you want all the info. Bought a 1 ton dually planning on getting a bigger camper. Very reliable. Oh yeah its a cummins diesel. 16 mpg with 9.5ft camper pulling steel trailer with 3 quads on it.

Last edited:

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johndeere, I have Gmc 2007 2500 HD Classic body style, it is totally stock, with 6.0 with 4:10 gears,

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a programmer but nobody can tell me if it well make a diffrence or not. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 43

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 04 gm 2500 6.0L that would get 17mpg on a rare occasion. Normally 15-16mpg tonnes of power and i put 180k and only had to put in upper ball joints. Great truck, i was kinda dissapointed after i bought a chev 1500. Its been an awesome truck as well but not as much power.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a 02 hemi with my trailer hooked on i was in around 8-10 mpg!!!Find those numbers VERY hard to believe!!

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johndeere, I have Gmc 2007 2500 HD Classic body style, it is totally stock, with 6.0 with 4:10 gears,

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a programmer but nobody can tell me if it well make a diffrence or not. :confused:

I have an 07 new body chev cc sb and 3.73 gear with a leveling kit and afe intake gibson 4 inch exhaust a and a hypertech programmer. the programmer made the biggest difference i run it on premium mode with premium fuel, i know expensive but the numbers show and i actually save the cost difference. Its not crazy larry on a diesel but it makes passing a idiot on the lizzy 500 fun especially with the exhaust.

I got the programmer from xsyourride he gave me a sweet deal.
By the way i can get 18 if im empty and sit around a 100km/hr, but that doesnt happen much with me.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever way you go, whatever brand, i am in the business, if you pm me the details i can let you know if it is a good deal or not. however, prices for somereason have skyrocketed on used, and the deals on new seem to get better and better, so look at both options. if you need advice, just ask.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever way you go, whatever brand, i am in the business, if you pm me the details i can let you know if it is a good deal or not. however, prices for somereason have skyrocketed on used, and the deals on new seem to get better and better, so look at both options. if you need advice, just ask.

Ya its weird i can get an 08 d max lt for 40 000

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a 05 hemi and with a 8 foot camper in the back and a 8x12 quad trailer behind with 2 quads the best I got was 13mpg mind you had the cursie set at 90-95kms. empty the best it seen was 18 and it was a 1500. my dad had a 04 cummins and empty or loaded he was getting about 23mpg and that was out of a 3500.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 new body chev cc sb and 3.73 gear with a leveling kit and afe intake gibson 4 inch exhaust a and a hypertech programmer. the programmer made the biggest difference i run it on premium mode with premium fuel, i know expensive but the numbers show and i actually save the cost difference. Its not crazy larry on a diesel but it makes passing a idiot on the lizzy 500 fun especially with the exhaust.

I got the programmer from xsyourride he gave me a sweet deal.
By the way i can get 18 if im empty and sit around a 100km/hr, but that doesnt happen much with me.

Thanks JohnDeere I am going to look into a programmer,

Top Bottom