Help us please, 2010 xp 600, throttle cable

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Hey guys, how do we change the throttle cable on this sled, what parts do we need to remove to get access ? Need to fix tonite so we can ride tomorrow, any advice please.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck,,not sure on yours, but on my old 2008 800xp you had to remove the motor,,it was a real pain in the ass and took about 8hours....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck,,not sure on yours, but on my old 2008 800xp you had to remove the motor,,it was a real pain in the ass and took about 8hours....

ya..its narsty....dont need to remove the motor but you need to unbolt it and lean it forward so you can access the oil pump. big job carbs, y pipe etc have to come off.

if you want a quick fix just install the throttle part of the cable and not the oil pump part. just tie it up somewhere. then run 40:1 premix in the tank and fix it properly when you get home.

you will need to pull off the airbox and probly the secondary clutch/chainncase to make it easier to access the carbs.

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Thanks guys,wow sounds like a lot of werk! RTR told my buddy they could do it in 45 min, might be worth paying the shop rate!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull ur lower air box,take of ur secondary,pull carbs,reeds,crack a beer because this is where it gets fun,,,i've never unbolted my motor mounts but it may make it easier..it should take ya a good 3-4 hrs...been there done that a few times...

crowsfeet

Reaction score
The dudes at RTR did the werk in an hr! Well worth it. Looks like we still have time to go up Pukeyashun this afternoon, yeah!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you say how? i just dont physically see how its possible LOL. maybe they have a magic tool or something.
can a guy install the throttle cable and leave the oil cable original? can't remember how it splits....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can a guy install the throttle cable and leave the oil cable original? can't remember how it splits....

that has to be how they did it SOMEHOW. i thought it was a sealed unit but perhaps they know something we dont. because yes no prob to change just the throttle cable in an hour.

the 600 and 800 have the same part# so nothing diff there.....and you cant order the throttle cable in peices....

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If the throttle cable is worn eneogh to break,the oil cable cant be that far behind...i wouldnt want to have a broke oil cable 100miles from the truck..lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the throttle cable is worn eneogh to break,the oil cable cant be that far behind...i wouldnt want to have a broke oil cable 100miles from the truck..lol
yeah, it's usually not the throttle cable that's the problem. my oil cable was worn over half way through in 1300 miles, if the engine hadn't have popped I'm sure it would have broken soon. was a good time to change it, pretty easy with the motor out. whoever put the oil cable bracket where they did at that angle should have to go change them all himself. outside.

when the oil cable breaks the arm comes around and opens the pump to full....would be smoky but she'd get ya home.

Top Bottom