Help talking buddy out of mod sled!!

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need help talking a buddy of mine out of buying a mod RX1 turbo.

He bought his first sled last year with no help from any of his friends and ended up overpaying for a pos Polaris XC 700. The sled was miled out and beat to rat $hit. He got about four or five rides out of her and ended dropping another 2G's to keep it running until he blew the crank and took out the whole motor. This sled was far from stock and in really rough shape.

This year he wanted to buy a new sled so I encouraged him to look for a clean one or two year sled or a non current carry over. I thought i had him set on the right sled until yesterday when he called and said he was buying a mod 2003 RX1 turbo set up to handle 20 psi but set at 12psi. Aftermarket front end, tunnel, seat, skies etc.

He has only ridden a sled maybe 6 time ever and only on flat ground and now he wants to go the mountains with me on this animal?? I tried to tell him he will likely hurt himslef and break the sled but he just won't listen.

I want him to come with us to the hills but I can see a world of frustration coming if he purchases this sled. My riding partners are not very forgiving of people who do not ride within their abilities and have been know for letting you dig yourself out if you should not have been in there in the first place.

All I can picture is him being constantly stuck because he grabbed more throttle than he meant to and catapulted himself into the $hit.

Any ideas ??I just want to ride!!!

TB

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just tell him to turn up the boost to 20 psi! lol and not get stuck! I get stuck to stay warm.....and at 12 psi you will stay warm..... I like 18 PSI but it is cold then! lol just dress warmer! LOL

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have added he does not know the meaning of throttle control!! Might as well give him a toggle switch. lol

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband rode his brand new sled three times before he sold it for modded RX1. The sled was a lesson learned and took thirty grand to make right but he loved riding it and I don't think until you ride one you ever get the itch out of your system. It's a guy thing.

The sled is finally perfect and he's gone back to a two stroke..... RX1 for sale :)

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I would love to have a boosted yammy in the group. It would be nice knowing someone in the group was going to be able to punch a track out of a nasty climb that I could follow if need be.

I just know this is not that guy lol.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need help talking a buddy of mine out of buying a mod RX1 turbo. He bought his first sled last year with no help from any of his friends and ended up overpaying for a pos Polaris XC 700. The sled was miled out and beat to rat $hit. He got about four or five rides out of her and ended dropping another 2G's to keep it running until he blew the crank and took out the whole motor. This sled was far from stock and in really rough shape.This year he wanted to buy a new sled so I encouraged him to look for a clean one or two year sled or a non current carry over. I thought i had him set on the right sled until yesterday when he called and said he was buying a mod 2003 RX1 turbo set up to handle 20 psi but set at 12psi. Aftermarket front end, tunnel, seat, skies etc.He has only ridden a sled maybe 6 time ever and only on flat ground and now he wants to go the mountains with me on this animal?? I tried to tell him he will likely hurt himslef and break the sled but he just won't listen. I want him to come with us to the hills but I can see a world of frustration coming if he purchases this sled. My riding partners are not very forgiving of people who do not ride within their abilities and have been know for letting you dig yourself out if you should not have been in there in the first place.All I can picture is him being constantly stuck because he grabbed more throttle than he meant to and catapulted himself into the $hit.Any ideas ??I just want to ride!!!TB
Send him my way and I'll fill him in about the Yamaha.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is funny....dont you have to ride to know how to give info on sleds......that would be as bad as you giving advise about woman! LOL.....I think I'm going to write a book on rainbow colored wegies with zero miles! well maybe make a coloring book for kids....they like to color with bright rainbow colors! lol

Send him my way and I'll fill him in about the Yamaha.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
that is funny....dont you have to ride to know how to give info on sleds......that would be as bad as you giving advise about woman! LOL.....I think I'm going to write a book on rainbow colored wegies with zero miles! well maybe make a coloring book for kids....they like to color with bright rainbow colors! lol

hard to insult kevin on this topic without implicating yourself, you warmed them up for him......

Top Bottom