Help: Riding Style for breaking in Engine?

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a new engine in my 08' dragon that needs to be broken in. I was told by the guy who put it in for me to add a litre of oil to the first tank and that i should find a long trail ride in before opening it up. He suggested Chappelle or Renshaw.

Questions for when im on 'said' long trail (Chappelle Dec.2) :

1.How should my throttle 'action' be? Do you want to be on/off every 3 seconds? Maybe a quick 'brap' every now and again....?
2.Do i not want to run it past a certain RPM on the trail up? or until i get so many km on the new engine?
3.What about once i get up top - should i still ride cautious? At what point/km can a guy have piece of mind to open her up?

Thanks in advance.

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually do that for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 tanks of fuel of easy riding when breaking in a new motor.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this is how I always broke in my motors but the reason is I usually wasn't patient enough. And I was usually putting in a motor at 3am the night before a big trip so there was no break in time on a trip. Looks like I was a trendsetter. I like the article but I still don't know if I am convinced.

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both my 09 and 10 where broken in up the trail about 7KM. I made sure to vary the throttle and didn't hold it to the bar until I hit the alpine. Both sleds turned out great with no engine issues. I agree ride it like you stole it!!!!

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this is how I always broke in my motors but the reason is I usually wasn't patient enough. And I was usually putting in a motor at 3am the night before a big trip so there was no break in time on a trip. Looks like I was a trendsetter. I like the article but I still don't know if I am convinced.

lol well i don't think anyone can hold to keeping it easy a 100%

but so Doo is technically killing their etecs from the start???

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even though I have never had a piston look like the comparison one in the photos

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I went and found the dirtiest piston I could find from my old ones across the different sleds I have owned. this was the worst one i could come up with.

not sure how anyone got that piston to look that nasty between rings 320788_2704643702410_1446292290_3044410_2126449867_n.jpg

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone warm up / cool down the engine in the garage a few times before first ride ?

i heard that's something you should do, but that article speaks against it

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I know of a couple guys with 4 strokes that let them run until the motor was warm enough to shut its self down. Then let the sled sit over night. They are both mechanics and the both said to let it heat cycle like that an the rings will seat perfectly. Did it work? They both have 2500 miles on their sleds running as much boost as they can and never had an issue with the motors.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone warm up / cool down the engine in the garage a few times before first ride ?

I know of a couple guys with 4 strokes that let them run until the motor was warm enough to shut its self down. Then let the sled sit over night. They are both mechanics and the both said to let it heat cycle like that an the rings will seat perfectly. Did it work? They both have 2500 miles on their sleds running as much boost as they can and never had an issue with the motors.

Im no engine pro but yeah makes sense that the engine does not produce as much heat as the manufacturing process so heat cycle in theory is bullchit,, now heating up the sled before reving it up makes sense but it needs the load and pressure to seat the rings this makes logical sense to me... that article is good

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes I do, I heat cycle my new sleds or motors three times before riding them, I also rebuild the odd one for friends or buds, and do them as well. Never had a failure, but I also have buddies that don't, so???

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heat cycle makes no sense, i can see warming motor up after ist rebuld and then shutting down to check for leaks, after that no idling at all until broken in , you are better off shutting motor down than idling, or you may not get rings to seat. yes that brown burnt shheeet below the rings is blow by and rings have not seated.
you can't get enough heat into the motor by heat cyles to do any friggin good. and the metal parts in your motor have been treated before installation. but each his own.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I warm it up good and ride on the flatland for a tank. Vary throttle and punch it for short burst then let off. Power and coast cycles to help seat the rings. Dont over do it and add oil to first tank. I have a 08 800 R with 5700 Km on it. I`m getting new pistons for the motor just because peace of mind.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
idling and easy riding???? I know nobody that can ride up a trail in the mountains and can hold it to the bar all the way. Normal riding makes you work the throttle. Idling will just load up the case and foul plugs on a 2 stroke. We rebuild our drag engines, throw extra oil when we rebuild them, add a little extra to the mix, warm them up on a stand until the pipes are hot, work the throttle a few times, cool it down, do it again then make the first pass an easier test pass, then let the full throttle racing begin. Never had an issue with an engine yet

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from good sources that the best way to seat the rings is to ride at low to mid throttle and to keep the engine under load for brief periods. I guess on a sled that means climbing hills, deep snow, or dragging the brake. Did this on all our race bike engines at my last job and it seemed to work well, never had an engine failure or any signs of blow-by.

Top Bottom