Help! Problems with a 2008 Renegade X

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today my brother was riding his sled and for some reason it died, but after it died the electric start wouldn't work. I tried pull starting it and it started first pull but wouldn't stay running and if it did it would say check key, beep 3 times, then run for five minutes and die again. Once we finally got it running it would get up to 5500 rpm the engine light would come on it would start sputtering, bog down, then rev back up again. After we got that figured out you could ride it for ten minutes then it would die as if going into reverse. Then it would go in and out of reverse continuously until you hit the kill switch.

If anyone knows what is going on it would be of great help. Thanks

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure others will have solutions also. The first thing i would check is the key, inside is a little piece of metal that sometimes comes loose, it should have 4 points that are connected, these connecting points wear thin and break so the piece of metal slides back and forth, it stays inside because its magnetic. if thats good i would make sure there is no ice build up inside the left controls, there is a small slot were the two halfes join , snow pacs in there turns to ice and water and can make a sled act pretty wierd, our xps all have a piece of stiff sponge or bead of silicone in the crevice to prevent this. make sure switch is dried out before sealling. if u can take it in the garage and blow it out with an air gun and let it dry out overnight. let us know someone will figure it out.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I will try that and let you know. Thanks.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure others will have solutions also. The first thing i would check is the key, inside is a little piece of metal that sometimes comes loose, it should have 4 points that are connected, these connecting points wear thin and break so the piece of metal slides back and forth, it stays inside because its magnetic. if thats good i would make sure there is no ice build up inside the left controls, there is a small slot were the two halfes join , snow pacs in there turns to ice and water and can make a sled act pretty wierd, our xps all have a piece of stiff sponge or bead of silicone in the crevice to prevent this. make sure switch is dried out before sealling. if u can take it in the garage and blow it out with an air gun and let it dry out overnight. let us know someone will figure it out.
Ok got the Ignition/RER button problem worked out. I let it dry over night then put di-electric grease on it to prevent it from doing that again. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom