Help moving west

snopro31

Reaction score
Hi there.

Hopefully moving west in 5 months (currently a RN BN) and will be living in Calgary.

Don't know the area at all other then Edmonton is north, and the Rockies are west.

I will def be bringing my sled (2011 Doo 1200 X renegade) out west and want to ride a lot if I can. Where would a person ride? Can you ditch bang along number 1 or other roads in Alberta? Are their actual trails? Not looking for the steep hill but looking for areas that are rolling, fun and have deep snow. Will be adding a low boost turbo kit if need be to my 1200.

At the moment I only have my truck but will probably be purchasing a 16 foot-18 foot v nose and am somewhat worried about staging and etc.

Any help would be great or anyone wanting to show me around in the winter would be awesome if I move out.

Thanks.

Brandon

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ditch the renegade and get a summit,

its the 2inch paddles that help and the lighter weight of the 800's

or get a 174 3 inch track and boost it if money is no option:d

I am sure lots of people be happy to show you around, the good snow and bigger hills are all 2-3 hours away from calgary and in winter months you can bring 30ft trailers no problem, we ditch the trailers come spring because of access.

there is some sledding a bit closer but the snow is not the same,, except for a few random weekends and then its heaven,,

I am still trying for one last ride in revy maybe saturday,, its a long season out here:beer:

good luck

snopro31

Reaction score
thanks for the info.

I'll probably stretch the gade to a 146 if I move out with a 2.5 or 2.25. Ive rode in quiet a bit of deep snow and don't mind the extra weight of the 1200 up front. Just need some wider ski's and she'll be good. Unless I find a wicked deal on a freeride.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d
Hi there.

Hopefully moving west in 5 months (currently a RN BN) and will be living in Calgary.

Don't know the area at all other then Edmonton is north, and the Rockies are west.

I will def be bringing my sled (2011 Doo 1200 X renegade) out west and want to ride a lot if I can. Where would a person ride? Can you ditch bang along number 1 or other roads in Alberta? Are their actual trails? Not looking for the steep hill but looking for areas that are rolling, fun and have deep snow. Will be adding a low boost turbo kit if need be to my 1200.

At the moment I only have my truck but will probably be purchasing a 16 foot-18 foot v nose and am somewhat worried about staging and etc. only 1 hours from calgary, can get all the way into elkford if you know where to ride, and there are some mega mountains back there. Topped out 1 day at around 11,000ft

Any help would be great or anyone wanting to show me around in the winter would be awesome if I move out.

Thanks.

Brandon

heh living in calgary and ditch bangin.... that will work till you get your first mountain ride in...

low boost that 1200 and put a 3" paddle track, and you got a mountain fighter, OR mayby i will trade yea??:d

ohhh ditch bangin along hwy 1 could result in a fine, if you want this type of riding catarac is the place for you, dont need boost or a big lug track.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it doesn't snow in Calgay... you'll have to go west...

other then last winter this is true lol,, its usually dry and not much snow on the ground,,

we have a small lake just east of the city and ya can bang around and run some fields ditches and canals,,,,,,,

but like Oler said once ya ride the mountains you wont even consider ditch banging its that good:d

Im from ontario and now I live beside the said lake above and my sled has not been riden in town for 4 years lol its just not the same

snopro31

Reaction score
:d

heh living in calgary and ditch bangin.... that will work till you get your first mountain ride in...

low boost that 1200 and put a 3" paddle track, and you got a mountain fighter, OR mayby i will trade yea??:d

ohhh ditch bangin along hwy 1 could result in a fine, if you want this type of riding catarac is the place for you, dont need boost or a big lug track.

hmm ive always wanted to ride in the mountains. would be a blast. just not into the steep stuff but meadows and stuff like that I'd have a blast in.

and low boost is def in the works if i move. I think catarac might be a good starting point to get used to the riding out there. I'm used to flat lander/ditch with some hills but nothing like out their.

it doesn't snow in Calgay... you'll have to go west...

it almost was when i was out there a week ago haah

other then last winter this is true lol,, its usually dry and not much snow on the ground,,

we have a small lake just east of the city and ya can bang around and run some fields ditches and canals,,,,,,,

but like Oler said once ya ride the mountains you wont even consider ditch banging its that good:d

Im from ontario and now I live beside the said lake above and my sled has not been riden in town for 4 years lol its just not the same

yeah its gonna be tough leaving the winter here, here. 3600+ miles with a lot of off trail. But there are other reasons to move and what not. counting the days ahah

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

At the moment I only have my truck but will probably be purchasing a 16 foot-18 foot v nose and am somewhat worried about staging and etc.

Thanks.

Brandon

Lots of good trails in alberta.....ditch banging is kind of a no no you might get away with it but.....your short track wlll work fine and will turn real good on the tight trails.......you wont need a long track with deep lugs if you enjoy trails..... ITs all about covering the miles

we dont groom trails as regulary as back east.....but the secenery makes all the difference

easy to put 1000kms a year on trails here....and have a blast

Last edited:
Top Bottom