HELP!! Cooked my ECU!

Jseime

Reaction score
So apparently the wiring harness under my fuel tank rubbed through on to the tunnel and shorted, causing my ECU to melt in my 2010 M8. I would really rather not spend 2 grand on a new one from cat, so what I'm looking for is a parts sled, or a sled wrecker or something along those lines.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Joel

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So apparently the wiring harness under my fuel tank rubbed through on to the tunnel and shorted, causing my ECU to melt in my 2010 M8. I would really rather not spend 2 grand on a new one from cat, so what I'm looking for is a parts sled, or a sled wrecker or something along those lines.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Joel

Call Redline Recreation 250-546-8872
located in Armstrong B.C.

jeff5316

Reaction score
Try kijiji and just type in ecu in the sled parts section. I know there are several for sale on there in Alberta cause I am dealing with the same problem on my 08 Crossfire 1000. They are selling for around $600 used but make sure you replace the harness as we'll cause it will likely happen again. Also make sure you have the same symbol that's on your current ECU. It will be either a circle, triangle or square

Jseime

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I found one on ebay in Edmonton, less than 900 shipping included brand new still in the box, looking forward to it getting here. When I took the sled to the dealer they diagnosed it after I had failed and they fixed the wiring harness so it should be as simple as taking the old one off and throwing in the new unit.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That sounds exactly like what happened to me. I took my sled in to get the shocks rebuilt, they did some welding on the skid when they took it out and put it on the bench. Then they took it outside. When i went to pick it up, i started it up and within 10 seconds it died because the ECU melted. They put all the blame on me saying nothing they did would cause that, it was the luck of the draw. So i bit the bullet, loaded it up on my truck took it home, spent $450 on a replacement ECU, put it on my sled, started it and again, 15 seconds this time, and a melted ECU. I called complained to the dealership, they did nothing for me. I took it back in, they went through the wiring and supposedly there was a problem. Even better they charged me over $800 in labor the find the problem. After i had just spent $700 on getting them to rebuild the shocks and put a new rod/eyelet on one. So I ended up spending another $350 on another ECU....Total cost $2,300 on a sled i spent $4,600 on... That was my last time taking anything to the dealer for repairs.

Top Bottom