helmits

malinowski3

Reaction score
what are your favourite brand of helmits i am looking to buy a new one next year and are wondering what you wear.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the brands that fit my head properly. :rolleyes:

Best advice I would give is don't simply go off what everyone else wears. First decide what style of helmet you want. MX, full face, modular?

I'll assume MX as that is what many people wear. Biggest problem with off the shelf MX style helmets is they are designed for MX and have a lot of venting. Snowmobile designed helmets like Klim, BRP and others sometimes have a little less venting and a mouth/breath gaurd that keep your face warmer and help with fogging.

Don't purchase a helmet off the internet either unless you have previous experience with that brand and model and have tried it on.

Personally I can't wear a TLD as the design of the helmet is very round/round. That being the shape of your head. Most people are an oval/round. The face gaurd on the TLD seems very close as well.

A Shoei or HJC seems to have a more oval/round which I prefer.

Don't get sucked into the DOT/Snell ratings too much. A proper fitting, quality helmet is more important than what its rated for. Not that its not important, but you if you have a medium sized head and buy a large helmet the rating won't mean squat.

People used to say buy a $50 helmet if you have a $50 head. Sure that still works but you don't need to drop $500 on a helmet either.

Talk to shops that sell helmets. Every brand fits a little different. My Shoei sled helmet fits differently than my Fox V3 for dirt biking. My older HJC feels huge compared to my newer helmets. I likely sized it wrong. Listen to what they suggest for fitting. A helmet should be tight. It shouldn't move on your head, or move up and down on your forhead and pinch you slightly like a chipmunk at your cheeks.

What about the weight of the helmet? I have my eyes on a new Fly carbon helmet as a backup for dirtbiking. Nice lightweight helmet. Poly(plastic based) helmets will be lighter than fibre based helmets but the new carbons are light.

Almost all MX style helmets work with all goggles. I like a larger covering goggle.

I could go on and on but that should atleast give you a start. :beer:

salbendidi

Reaction score
skidoo doest make much of a sled but they sure do make a helmet (when there drive shaf fails your head is safe) i have had 2 of there mx helmets and the are sweet!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
takethebounce nailed it, get a helmet that fits YOU. everyone's noggin is different....

malinowski3

Reaction score
thanks ill look around and see what i can find down here in regina haha i think ill check out the ski doo dealer first wile a can still wear my polaris jacket

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, these are my favorite hel-mitts.

Top Bottom