helmets...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So yesterday I was so overcome with joy at all the fresh snow i played hooky in the afternoon hoping to beat all the locals to the fresh powder...The first 5 minutes were AWESOME...the next 10 minutes my cheeks hurt like hell...then they went numb and I was alright again until I went inside....I've come to the conclusion that the wife and I need proper covered sled helmets...the MX helmets we use for the quads provide no face protection....

The wife has an outlet for a heated unit on her sled so I think thats the way to go for her and I just need a good, non fogging, enclosed unit.

Anybody have any opinions on which helmet to buy, where to buy it, ect....

Cheers,

Bogger:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Are your MX helmets "winterized" ? I have some of the enclosed helmets with electric face shield but never wear them as they feel very confined. They also weigh 10lbs.
Instead my wife and I wear MX style helmets but they have the nose and face sheild inside to protect against wind. In the summer we take them off and they become regular quadding helmets.

Go to Ekco Marine there and check out the different styles and see what I mean!:d:beer:

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I was so overcome with joy at all the fresh snow i played hooky in the afternoon hoping to beat all the locals to the fresh powder...The first 5 minutes were AWESOME...the next 10 minutes my cheeks hurt like hell...then they went numb and I was alright again until I went inside....I've come to the conclusion that the wife and I need proper covered sled helmets...the MX helmets we use for the quads provide no face protection....

The wife has an outlet for a heated unit on her sled so I think thats the way to go for her and I just need a good, non fogging, enclosed unit.

Anybody have any opinions on which helmet to buy, where to buy it, ect....

Cheers,

Bogger:beer:

if you are not in a hurry, Ebay is the cheapest answer,

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycle works treated us very well. good price and knowledgable staff

spike7ss

Reaction score
What I found to work the best is a good quality balaclava. I haev a Klim one that I wear with my MX style helmet and have not had any problems getting cold. Also my goggles have the nose piece on them to seal with the helmet. Works good for me.

SparkyX670

Reaction score
I wear glasses and that makes it even harder to find the right helmet.I have an MX style Ski Doo helmet and goggles made for eyeglasses.This set up works good if I am cruising along a trail, but if I stop or get into deep snow and heavy work, i steam up too much.So, I also bought a full face snowmobiling helmet with flip up visor and the whole front flips up as well.This works pretty good most of the time.I leave the faceshield open a crack for ventilation, sometimes I ride with it wide open.I always carry a balaclava and throw it on if my face gets too cold.Never had a problem being cold with the balaclava on.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I wear glasses and that makes it even harder to find the right helmet.I have an MX style Ski Doo helmet and goggles made for eyeglasses.This set up works good if I am cruising along a trail, but if I stop or get into deep snow and heavy work, i steam up too much.So, I also bought a full face snowmobiling helmet with flip up visor and the whole front flips up as well.This works pretty good most of the time.I leave the faceshield open a crack for ventilation, sometimes I ride with it wide open.I always carry a balaclava and throw it on if my face gets too cold.Never had a problem being cold with the balaclava on.

Man I understand your situation! I used to wear glasses and I have to admit the full face electric was great for glasses ... but then I got my eyes lasered and haven't looked back. The MX style helmet is much more comfortable and with a good balaclava as mentioned earlier you can't beat them. No more foggin up especially walking into a warm room lol! And I like the fact that I can use the same helmut year round, now I use the other one for a guest helmet if I need one etc.:beer::d:beer:

SparkyX670

Reaction score
I have thought about getting the laser eye surgery done. It sure would be nice to get rid of the glasses. I have tried contacts but don't like them. I would go with the open face helmet and goggles if I didn't wear glasses.How long ago did you have your laser surgery?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I got it done about 4 or 5 years ago ... honestly, it's the best thing you can do. From getting up in the night for a washroom break to seeing the waves when you waterski, to wearing non prescription sunglasses that you can change up once in awhile for newer styles! To sleddin any place any time! And especially no more FOGGIN up lol! Not to mention its cheaper with the cost of glasses these days, if you buy two sets its the same price!:cool::beer:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a J-Max MX helmut from royal distributing. You can take the visior off and clip in a shield. Very warm, this is my second season with it and i bought my wife one for christmas and she loves it. $150

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down to the local DH mountain bike store & picked me up a BELL DROP DH thats down hill mtb hhelmet taped over the vent holes from the inside super LITE they have a new standard for helmets for this so called sport it exceeds the old csa they're nice and lite and I bought a balaclava but have'nt had to use it yet!!!!! cheap + cool makes my neck way happyer at the end of the day...

Top Bottom