Sled deck unloader

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Marlon sled deck...it’s a struggle loading and unloading by yourself...actually impossible with out some assistance. I just wanted something that was easy to add and be able to wheel around yourself. The main problem with this deck is the front legs need to be lifted over the fender wells.

So I built this adaptor/wheel unit that is pretty easy to install with minimal lifting. Once installed I use a hydraulic bottle jack to lift to adjust to a different height.

E2030922-9972-49F8-80CA-DF4AEFBA67C4.jpg

6F090C47-95AE-418A-B997-E1D40E2A2277.jpg

So basically you slide the deck back as far as you can. Install the rear bracket, use the bottle jack to lift it up and set pins in place. Now the front you can install the front set of wheels and do the same with the bottle jack to get it over the wheel wells, but I just lifted it and pushed back. Then either have a set of stands you can set the front legs on or install the front wheel.

After off I lower the rear with the jack and stands so it barely off the floor and wheel it into my enclosed sled trailer for the summer.

It looks to be a bit of screwing around but actually takes minutes to install and get off the truck.

I have pneumatic tires that are better for uneven terrain, but just used these cheapies for the test in the shop.

thoughts?

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually two us can put the deck in pretty quickly:
1. Take sides and ramp off to lighten.
2. Tilt deck up in the air in the front resting on the back bar.
3. Drive truck back until front legs are in side the box.
4. One person in front and one at the back to lift legs over the wheel wells.
5. Two to lift back end of deck into box and slide forward.
6. Put sides and ramp back in place

Works easy enough and no real heavy lifting.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure. Just wanted to be able to do it myself is the reason why.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use camper jacks then just drive out from under it . Easy . I also have to do it myself kids are still weak lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to use a a frame and chain hoist with 4 chains at the corners lift it up and drive it out, used barrels to sit it down for summer

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with wanting to make it able to be done by yourself for alot of time if you ask for help work schedules with others never seem to work out and you end up doing by yourself, or they say they will help and then not show up. i like seeing how and what others do or make, thinking outside of the box.yes going over the wheel wells was always a pain. when i lifted it by hand i took out ramp but left slides in but as a person gets older they want to work smarter not harder. for me i built a lift system sort of like a jibcrane so i back into garage and lift it up,to the ceiling,push it to the corner, and leave it there,i park truck underneath it so it is a great storage location. good job you made a system that works for you and now its a 1 man job.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a electric winch in the garage put the deck on my old sled trailer for summer storage then just back in garage attach winch lift pull trailer out back truck under my deck is homemade steel used to load with two people was a struggle now I can do it myself in a half a hour

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do mine by myself but it fits between the wheel wells so it's easier,I take ramp out to lighten, prop front end up with 2x4 back truck up till I hit the 2x4 with tailgate,lift back end up and push.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines bolted in, i just leave it year round...but if i had to take it out more then once a year, id like that set up for sure.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just have the chain host in shop roof. Sling it up & back truck under. Summer it just gets put on an old tent trailer frame & stored in shelter.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the camper jack idea. Mines stored on gravel so unless the bottle jack lift has tundra tires off a Cessna it likely won’t work. Otherwise I make the girlfriend help get it over the wheel wells while I lift it in.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a electric winch in the garage put the deck on my old sled trailer for summer storage then just back in garage attach winch lift pull trailer out back truck under my deck is homemade steel used to load with two people was a struggle now I can do it myself in a half a hour

I used to do that. Now I just put the forks on my Bobcat. :D

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I built. I should have made it a little wider. I cannot get my sled trailer inside. I am planning on building some sort of dolly for the deck to sit on and move around with the garden tractor too, which would then free up the hoist for other uses. Long bungees to the corners keep the cables tight while not in use. The frame is 8' square outside measurements, and 8'6" tall. I don't think the gussets do much. Hand winch, cables and pulleys are from Princess Auto. It's bolted to the wood skids and since the pics and test run, is now outside for the winter. Can easily be dragged around with my garden tractor, without the deck on it. Total cost was about $350 and took about 8 hours including the painting.
IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5851.jpg

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use the deck itself to unload it. Unbolted the deck from then truck. Pulled the headache rack off cause it doesn’t fit in the garage. Then disconnect the power for the winch and hook it up to a battery. Finally run out the line to pulley on I beam in the roof and back down to the deck. Then just use the remote and lift off the truck.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use one of the tractors from the family farm. I have thought about finding a nice aluminum gantry for at home though.

Top Bottom