Helmets -- Electric shields

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for any feedback or recommendations as to whether elec shields are worth it or what is good for not fogging up. I sweat a lot in a helmet and more when it is really cold and always seem to fog the face shield. I just have an CKX worth about $180. Can I just remove the shield and get some goggles or do you have to have a special helmet for them?? TIA.
helmet1.jpg

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the motorcross type of helmet and use goggles they work great there was a thread about this in the winter 90-95% go with the cross and googles.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
You will find nothing that works great. The answer is in your sweating. I wear precription glasses and I fought almost every ride with fogging until I realized it was all to do with sweating so much. The neck of your jacket acts like a chimney and all the humidity your body is giving off comes right up your neck and into your modular helmet. There is no way I could wear a mod helmet for a couple of reasons.
Once I spent a chit load of cash on Klim gear and started wearing it properly, I quit sweating and wala no more fogging. Good Luck

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Motocross style helmets and goggles are great for warmer weather riding, but in certain conditions they do not work very well. The first being very cold weather and the second is wet snow when they tend to ice up. For those conditions I generally wear the enclosed with an electric shield. To keep googles free of fog I have been riding with a Habervision Eliminator it is a self-contained, fully automatic, humidity control module for your goggles. They mount in most brands of goggles. Check them out at
or through the following link:

Last edited:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric shields work very well in most cases. I sweat a lot too but have no problem with the electric shield fogging up.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i tried one and didn't like it... couldn't breath in the mountains... motocross helmets and goggles i find work the best... if you are worried about cold temps... i went out this winter 25 below and it stilll worked great just need nose guard...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
i tried one and didn't like it... couldn't breath in the mountains... motocross helmets and goggles i find work the best... if you are worried about cold temps... i went out this winter 25 below and it stilll worked great just need nose guard...

I totally agree, too confining/claustrophobic. We ride in extreme cold and warm, Sledcross/Motocross plus a good pair of goggles is the way to go!! (IMO).

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know why electric shields aren't popular? They're not cool. The racers don't wear them so they're not cool. I've gone against the grain for years and wear a full-face with electric visor still. I have a couple of MX helmets and goggles that I wear in the spring, but overall I like the heated visor set-up. I watch cool guys cleaning their goggles and drying them on the motor all the time. On cold days the cool guys are putting tape on the bottoms of the goggles so their cheeks don't freeze. I just sit and relax in my snuggly, ice-free helmet. LOL. Sumx54 makes a great point about sweating. I went the same route....rode for years with crappy gear and sweated a ton....then discovered Klim and life is much better.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know why electric shields aren't popular? They're not cool. The racers don't wear them so they're not cool. I've gone against the grain for years and wear a full-face with electric visor still. I have a couple of MX helmets and goggles that I wear in the spring, but overall I like the heated visor set-up. I watch cool guys cleaning their goggles and drying them on the motor all the time. On cold days the cool guys are putting tape on the bottoms of the goggles so their cheeks don't freeze. I just sit and relax in my snuggly, ice-free helmet. LOL. Sumx54 makes a great point about sweating. I went the same route....rode for years with crappy gear and sweated a ton....then discovered Klim and life is much better.

Thanks for your reply's Dave and the rest of you guys. Exactly what equipment did you change that stopped you from sweating so much??? I can get the Electric visor for my helmet for about $120. I bought a real good balaclava last year that covers my neck and face too and lets me get more air through my helmet without freezing. My head sweats all night even sleeping in a cold room so I think I might still have problems.LOL.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply's Dave and the rest of you guys. Exactly what equipment did you change that stopped you from sweating so much??? I can get the Electric visor for my helmet for about $120. I bought a real good balaclava last year that covers my neck and face too and lets me get more air through my helmet without freezing. My head sweats all night even sleeping in a cold room so I think I might still have problems.LOL.

Good gortex outerwear with fleece and microfibre inner layers transport moisture away from the body and allows it to escape instead of ending up in your helmet as steam. One of the best (as well as most expensive) brands of this stuff is Klim.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wally, I'm by far NOT an expert, but I've used both. Let me start by saying I'm clumsy and having my visor plugged in was a fuster cluck for me. I love my goggles and mx style helmet. I have 2 sets of goggles each for different light conditions. When It's cold I wear a helly hansen balaclava to keep my face and neck warm. When it's really warm out I wear a set of snow boarding glasses. Don't dig yourself out with goggles on. Oh another thing that was new to me this year was quick straps for my goggles. I love my quick straps.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tried numerous different kinds of goggles and also sweat some while riding, every pair of goggles I ever tried fogged up as soon as I had them on. Couldn't find a way to keep them from fogging other than not wearing them. I bought a Gmax helmet with the heated shield and have had no problems whatsoever with it. The only problem I have is that the shield freezes shut once in a while if I have some moisture on it.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a full face HJC with the electric visor because I have froze my nose three times when I was a kid. I can't have the cold air on it anymore. I do ride the Rockies and I agree with the comment about the Klim gear keeping you comfortable. I really like mine. The only thing I don't like is when I fall off and the cord snaps back. I go through a lot of cords. You can only stretch them so many times.

Zipp

Reaction score
I really like the electric shield when it has no problems. The cords always goes when I'm riding. Plus the cord is always getting in the way when riding. I've seen allot of guys having trouble with thier xcross goggles in cold weather, but it's likely more to do with clothing PLUS not having the right breath deflector. I know when I wreck my cord on the cold riding days, genereally all I have to do is ensure my "moose *unt" is tight to my nose, and crack open the visor.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding with full face motocross helmets for the last 6 years before using the full face winter type like you currently have. I use the ballaclave when its to cold etc. However Haber vision builds a insert that is battery powered that sense humidity and then turns on to clear it away. I have one in all of my goggles and we love them. You do not need to purchase the whole goggle you just order the unit seperately and you can put it in almost any goggle. Its not so much that I switched to the motocross helmet for looking good. It was because when I was stuck the helmet would not let enough warm air out. Good luck.

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
We are dealers for Habervision...visit our site and check out our blog! We have pics in our gallery of the eliminator and installing it. If you use our affinity code you will get 50% off your order!!

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
Actually if you click in the habervision link in the upper right hand corner under important links, it will take you straight to their site with our affinity code already entered for you.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was because when I was stuck the helmet would not let enough warm air out.

Yes with a closed face helmet you do have to take it off when you get stuck. Not a big deal though.

I always carry a spare electric cord with me. To repair the connectors on the cord go to The Source (old Radio Shack) and pick up some audio plugs to replace faulty connectors. Cheap fix.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only time my full face helmet with the electric shield gets worn is when I get talked into going to Saskatchewan to ride with the family. It always seems to be so damn cold when I'm out there. It always works great no fogging at all. But anywhere else it's moto helmet with the dragon goggles. Either or both comfy it just depends on your style.:d

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may strike a nerve with some of you but if you want to sweat less and in turn not fog up as much: Get in shape. Thats what I did started in November and what a difference it made. Already training for next year:) AND 30LBS off my sled is a great mod too!!

Top Bottom