heater in truck

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
temp inside truck was cold on start up, put large piece of cardboard in front of rad, How big of a hole does a guy need to cut in cardboard for air flow?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did use a beer box, was a beotch mashing it in there, punctured a couple beers! maybe a pizza box would have been better? something like a muff pot only a rad -e -eater

Last edited:

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1/3 of the total area, so it wont over heat on the hiway, you could take off the in and out hoses into the heater core and blow out with compressed air and see if it helps, on old fords just switching the hoses around on the heater core some times helps too.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge, Ford, Chev diesels have their thing, lots of info on the Web, best yet is having your tool dude who knows the pros and Con's of addressing the small areas that improve cabin temps.

Both my gas trucks allow more engine heat when the cabin heat-control is set onto floor heat instead of de-frost setting,,, "de-frost setting let's the electric AC fan too come on,,, yes it is separate from radiator," but 1/2 the rad is in front AC rad.

When AC under hood fan is running because the in-cab control is set on de-frost the engine temp is low on cold days. "trick for both my units is too set in-cab control too floor only."

The under hood AC fan dose not come on when in this setting,,, both 2005 Dodge and 2011 Ford.

Idea came from my tech guy to try different things,,, so far so good.

Morning warm up is floor only, then 1/2 and 1/2 to work, at work is floor only.

Only an idea as one trys different in-cab control setting too see if under hood AC fan does not come on. "or limits its cycles that it comes on.

Nothing wrong with trying as my tech dude got my cab heat up threw out the day.

PS: Good practic too have setting set that night, then only adjust them when unit is fully warmed up too prevent the plastic butter-fly gates and plunger from breaking.

Lem

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2 cold trucks, both had the air intake to the heater core blocked, one was leaves, one was mud.

Fixed my Nieces heater by blowing compressed air into the coolant system and circulating the crud that settled in the heater core over the summer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge, Ford, Chev diesels have their thing, lots of info on the Web, best yet is having your tool dude who knows the pros and Con's of addressing the small areas that improve cabin temps.

Both my gas trucks allow more engine heat when the cabin heat-control is set onto floor heat instead of de-frost setting,,, "de-frost setting let's the electric AC fan too come on,,, yes it is separate from radiator," but 1/2 the rad is in front AC rad.

When AC under hood fan is running because the in-cab control is set on de-frost the engine temp is low on cold days. "trick for both my units is too set in-cab control too floor only."

The under hood AC fan dose not come on when in this setting,,, both 2005 Dodge and 2011 Ford.

Idea came from my tech guy to try different things,,, so far so good.

Morning warm up is floor only, then 1/2 and 1/2 to work, at work is floor only.

Only an idea as one trys different in-cab control setting too see if under hood AC fan does not come on. "or limits its cycles that it comes on.

Nothing wrong with trying as my tech dude got my cab heat up threw out the day.

PS: Good practic too have setting set that night, then only adjust them when unit is fully warmed up too prevent the plastic butter-fly gates and plunger from breaking.

Lem

i don't have no tech guys, just teckless me? i don't think i have butterflys in the heater core? haven't seen no gate?

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, butter flys might be frozen this time of year, they might be stealing the heat units. LOL

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy a winter front, they are installed and removed with ease. Every diesel truck should use one in temps like we have had in the last couple weeks. My Cummins has full winter front and the light bar blocks most of the lower core of the rad. I run between 200-215 degrees while on the highway pulling trailer. Never had ay issues overheating and like we all know diesels take long time to warm up, this will speed that up.

Top Bottom