Head lights on new GMC's

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have heard the new style headlights are terrible on the new GMs ?
Can some owners chime in hear?
The old style are very good as we know and it would sense they would screw that up !!
Thx in advance

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old style are very good as we know and it would sense they would screw that up !!
Thx in advance

You mean the '15's? I have an '11 and think they are great.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean the '15's? I have an '11 and think they are great.

New Sierra 1500 started in 2014's
HD's are 2015's
And yes up to 2013 1/2 tons and 2014 HD's they are great.
Cheers.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx in advance

I've heard this from a few guys that have them. The previous model was the best I've seen for factory by far

ABOMB177

Reaction score
I have a 15 3500 and dont think they are bad for stock. Not as good as my ecoboost HID's but I also dont get flashed every second vehicle either. Not to start **** but they are better than my buddies 2014 1500 dodge. JMO

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 15 3500 and dont think they are bad for stock. Not as good as my ecoboost HID's but I also dont get flashed every second vehicle either. Not to start **** but they are better than my buddies 2014 1500 dodge. JMO

Thanks a lot, as the post's I am looking for .
Think I just made a deal on a 6.6 box Denali 6.2 so with them having projector head lights I may put HID's in if they are crap .
Had HID's in stock housings years ago when they first came out .
Not good for oncoming traffic and didn't realize how bad they were until others started getting them.
Pulled them out.
Thanks again

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are garbage like the halogens in my 2013 xlt.... which is why I ordered a set of if oem hid's for it.

You have one 9012 hir1 bulb in a projector on the gmc's. A 9012 is a near direct replacement for a 9006... I have 9012 low beams and 9011 highs in my 04 and 05 Sierras.... and I jumpered them together for high beam.... yeah... and your 2014 has my lows for everything.

I had a new 14 gmc pass me on the way to work in the 05. He clicked his highs on when we were dead even side by side.... my lows were still brighter than his highs lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a 2012 HD 3500 also with piaas in the high low and silver star in the highs .
Very good light as all four come on for high beam.
Standard for the newer HD's

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a 2012 HD 3500 also with piaas in the high low and silver star in the highs .
Very good light as all four come on for high beam.
Standard for the newer HD's

Was until the 2015 came along in the gmc flavor as an HD. Now you get one 9012 just like the half tons. Invest in a light bar lol.

Oddly enough the Chevs still use a 4 bulb arrangement. Just not the gmc.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work for runs GMCs and all operators running the '14 1/2 tons and '15 1/2 & 3/4 tons are complaining about the crappy headlights. I installed Bright Source HID headlights in one of the trucks and the operator couldn't be happier. He told me they're 200% brighter and no one flashes him. The GM projector headlamps were originally designed for HID bulbs, but GM cheaped out and put halogens in instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work for runs GMCs and all operators running the '14 1/2 tons and '15 1/2 & 3/4 tons are complaining about the crappy headlights. I installed Bright Source HID headlights in one of the trucks and the operator couldn't be happier. He told me they're 200% brighter and no one flashes him. The GM projector headlamps were originally designed for HID bulbs, but GM cheaped out and put halogens in instead.

Thanks ? So I guess the lights are crap .
About right for GM , $55 thousand $ truck and cheap out on headlights .
Why they frig they wouldn't have put HID's from factory?
The wife's escalade has them and are okay.
Oh well I will install HIDS then and light bar like I have on 3500.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pfi's check out oracle lighting.... I used a set of there 5.75 round led lights for my Beaumont... Made a insane diffrence over your standard bulbs, as a result I will be buying a set of led headlights for my fog lights, think they are 5202.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a comparison phot some guy did with his 64 corvette and these lights. These are the 5.75 rounds I out in my Beaumont. They produce 2200 lumes of light per set. The ones I was talking about for the headlight-fog light replacements put out 2100 lumes. Pretty much a replacement for a mid to smaller size led light bar.

image.jpg
image.jpg

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they are just bulb replacements for the factory ones ?
Found it thanks . I will order some unless you know someone that handles them in canada ?

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine online, but looking now it appears there are some Edmonton/Athabasca dealers.

fyi just be careful about ordering led bulb replacements. I know this sounds like a oxymoron given I just recommended them. Some led bulb replacements "appear" to be bright but do not give any energy light output. Just check for the lumes output, and if unsure obviously double check it before a purchase. Led high output headlight or bulb replacements will come with a driver assembly, or be over the $60 per bulb...

Last edited:

ABOMB177

Reaction score

Does this kit just use the factory wire harness? Im also assuming the 2014 1500 light kit would be the same for 2015 hd's?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Does this kit just use the factory wire harness? Im also assuming the 2014 1500 light kit would be the same for 2015 hd's?
Those led style use the factory harness, you just unplug the harness from the stock bulb, and plug it into the pigtail on the LED conversion kit. Same as the HID kits work. I am wanting to get those LED conversions on my truck, i have HID's right now, and hate the warm up time. LED's turn on instantly, and turn off instantly. So when you flash someone it's a flash alright. Not like my HID's flash the high beams and it gets darker because they aren't warmed up. It would be interesting to see how the LED lights perform in a projector housing. It should be a great combination.

Top Bottom